Re: Sudan coup

#41 Post by tango15 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:32 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:28 am
tango15 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:38 pm
Woody wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm

I was part of the team that met the arrival from Athens, when murdered Attache was returned to the UK on a BA flight into LGW, once all pax bags had been removed, the aircraft was towed to the cargo area and the coffin was removed with full Military Honours
That's good to know, Woody. Hadn't heard that before. Stephen Saunders was a friend, and in fact, I was due to have lunch with him that day. A nicer family you could not wish to meet. We were told to get out of town for a few days while the whole thing settled down, which we were happy to do.

A small change in the conversation here, but no doubt the murder of the Attache was one critical moment in modern (post 1974) history. The Greek government decided to ask for help to tracking down the main terrorist organization and in exchange the said organisation was practically delivered in the police headquarters. The incompetent minister responsible for the police back then still enjoys good ratings (if I may say so) for dismantling the gang.

T15 any plans to return as tourist to Athens?
The one good thing to come out of this was the eventual disbandment of 17N. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutio ... 7_Novemberdisbandment of 17N. There was some help from Scotland Yard and a chap from the funny-looking building on the south bank of the Thames, who became a friend.
I keep promising myself that I will return to Athens and meet up with some friends from those days. I will pre-warn you if I do :)

(Apologies for the thread drift. Back to the heat and dust of Sudan).

As a matter of interest, has any of the forum members visited the country?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sudan coup

#42 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:20 pm

1DC, just TGA in his cups