NATO 're-write'

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

NATO 're-write'

#1 Post by Boac » Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am

After a long time of not over-fussing about Russian 'aggression' it appears NATO will (finally!) be re-writing its policy docs at the summit in Vilnius in July, in recognition of the now significant 'border' running across Europe with Finland's accession and the Ukraine 'special operation'. It will be interesting to see how the 'plan' to drastically improve readiness, agreed in 2022, putting 300,000 troops on high alert, up from the previous 40,000, is faring. I'm not holding my breath....

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: NATO 're-write'

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 18, 2023 2:08 pm

Given the performance of the Russians, might it not be better to give every kid in the NATO cadet forces a drone and a slot on the range every month, and stand down all the regulars? ;)))

On a more serious note, I think we are going to discover that, what with the destruction of Russian armour, the economic collapse they are experiencing, and the likely total antipathy of Russian men for conscription from now on, they won't be up to invading anyone else for the next decade at least. Russia is a dead duck after this, China's the only problem henceforth.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by John Hill » Thu May 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Just so long as there is always someone to be the 'problem'... 8-|
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 21, 2023 10:04 am

John Hill wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:12 pm
Just so long as there is always someone to be the 'problem'... 8-|
As in, postulate a threat, seek solutions to counter said threat. Develop the systems, add additional capability should the threat evolve. Buy all the kit, and then adapt it to counter the actual threat 10 or 20 years on.

I know, we need an air portable FRES and not MBT. What can we use two aircraft carriers for? I know, humanitarian relief.

Cynic?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by John Hill » Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 pm

NATO and other military alliances et al are essential for the growth of the MIC.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.