A grave mistake

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: A grave mistake

#381 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:49 pm

Haha, what a pile of what-about-ary!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#382 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 pm

I'd say that was an accurate description of the current state of international humanitarian law in the age of terrorism.

Although the points I've made are not what-aboutery at all. They are a simple consequence of Hamas conducting a massive terrorist attack, and assuming the Israelis wouldn't invade Gaza as a consequence, although they were and remain completely entitled to do so under international law.
I note that neither of the two UN resolutions passed so far actually accuse Israel of breaching international law, and that the only party in breach is Hamas, for not complying with ES 10/22 by "immediate and unconditional" hostage release.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#383 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 pm
I'd say that was an accurate description of the current state of international humanitarian law in the age of terrorism.

Although the points I've made are not what-aboutery at all. They are a simple consequence of Hamas conducting a massive terrorist attack, and assuming the Israelis wouldn't invade Gaza as a consequence, although they were and remain completely entitled to do so under international law.
Entitled yes of course, just like invading A'stan to pay back the Saudi, UAE, Lebanon and Egyptian attack of 911.

I note that neither of the two UN resolutions passed so far actually accuse Israel of breaching international law, and that the only party in breach is Hamas, for not complying with ES 10/22 by "immediate and unconditional" hostage release.
God has protected her chosen people at the UN.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#384 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:18 pm

We found that Israel’s cruel policies of segregation, dispossession and exclusion across all territories under its control clearly amount to apartheid.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... -humanity/

Did Jews really believe they could continue their ways without an eventual severe reaction from the Palestinians?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#385 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm

It would appear you are the one engaging in What-aboutery, John.

You may recall I considered the Invasion of Iraq and the continued occupation of Afghanistan completely unjustifiable, as did the UNSG with Iraq, and that I now live in a country which refused to join the Iraq invasion, and withdrew from the 'Stan when its initial peacekeeping stint was done.

..and would that be the same Amnesty International who refused to condemn mass rape and torture, but only when carried out by Hamas? It would.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#386 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:53 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm

..and would that be the same Amnesty International who refused to condemn mass rape and torture, but only when carried out by Hamas? It would.
Probably, there does appear to be very confused accounts of mass rape, torture, beheading babies, throwing babies out of incubators, eating babies, feet first into plastic shredder and so on, and on.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#387 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:45 pm

I think the throwing babies out of incubators accusation was rescinded quite quickly, probably when the claimants realised there were such claims in every war, by all sides, dating back to the invention of incubators. I recall it in Kuwait in 1990.
There's no shortage of evidence of the first two, however.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#388 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 pm

When this current action is all over, and Israel has again 'taken' the Gaza strip (as in '67), will it be judged that 1200 Israeli deaths and some hostages were an acceptable penalty to enable the reclaiming of the land and the loss of probably 40,000 Palestinian folk ('shields', and a few foreigners and Israeli military)?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#389 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:18 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm
You may recall I considered the Invasion of Iraq and the continued occupation of Afghanistan completely unjustifiable, as did the UNSG with Iraq, and that I now live in a country which refused to join the Iraq invasion, and withdrew from the 'Stan when its initial peacekeeping stint was done.
I went to Afghanistan a few times and to Iraq but I never had a bayonet so no opportunity to barbecue a toddler.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#390 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 pm

Clearly you've never cooked anything in the field, a bayonet would be your last choice.
Any more random, incongruous comments that avoid the central problem of the Hamas atrocities on Oct 7th?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#391 Post by John Hill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:56 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:45 pm
I think the throwing babies out of incubators accusation was rescinded quite quickly, probably when the claimants realised there were such claims in every war, by all sides, dating back to the invention of incubators. I recall it in Kuwait in 1990.
There's no shortage of evidence of the first two, however.
I expect you have absolutely no evidence of any such happenings.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#392 Post by John Hill » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:02 am

Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 pm
Any more random, incongruous comments that avoid the central problem of the Hamas atrocities on Oct 7th?
Happenings of Oct 7 are now in history regrettable though they may be. However the extermination of the non-Jews in Israel is an on-going matter and any whataboutery involving Oct 7 is incredibly weak justification of that.

Everybody involved in the present crimes against humanity, and their supporters, should be tied to tank tracks and driven around the parade ground.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#393 Post by Dushan » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:02 pm

I don’t think there are enough tanks in the world to accommodate all members of a Hamas and their supporters.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#394 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:46 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#395 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:37 pm

Apparently, GPS has been disabled.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#396 Post by Dushan » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 pm

Mine is working fine. I think it was jammed in the eastern Mediterranean.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#397 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:37 am

Right from pre- 7 October it is beginning to look as if the words 'piss up' and 'brewery' are appropriate here.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#398 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 pm

An Iranian attack on Israel could occur within the next few hours, CBS reports citing US officials.

The attack could include more than 100 drones and dozens of missiles aimed at military targets. Although a smaller attack is also possible.

The ARRSE contributor in the region has just advised he may not be posting for a while due to imminent action, so the imminent attack threat seems credible from multiple sources.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-ira ... -conflict/

The big question is not that the attack will happen, but to what extent Israel, and possibly the US, respond.
This will likely depend on the effect of the Iranian strike, and its targets.
I expect the targets will be exclusively military and/or Israeli government (like-for-like for the Syrian Consulate).
I consider the risk of general escalation quite high, not least because there may well be collateral civilian damage. So do all other comments I've read.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#399 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:48 pm

US sources are now saying Iran will definitely attack, but giving a 48 hour window Fri-Sun
Multiple countries now advising against travel to Israel, including France and India.
Several suggestions that the US Sixth Fleet is positioning warships to aid Israel in air defence against the expected Iranian attack.
This is reportedly so the US doesn't have to use AD assets at ground bases (e.g. Syria), so that they are not at increased likelihood of attack in putative follow-up attacks by Iran.

On the one hand, the Iranian strike after Soleimani was killed succeeded in satisfying Iran's population that the rulers were doing something without triggering further retaliation from Israel or the US.
On the other hand, the situation is more volatile now, and the likely scale of the Iranian attack will, by design or accident, probably will mean further strikes from Israel.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#400 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:48 pm

Attack in progress....