A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: A grave mistake

#301 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:13 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:41 pm
Why do they put it on at the gym..so you hit the punchbag harder? ;)))
When I am alone in the gym I don't turn the TV on. I watch JudgerJeffrey Middleton's courtroom proceedings on YouTube. Today, there were some other people there, before me, and had the TV on. It's actually good because the heart rate goes up without doing a lot of exercising, but hardly worth $1.6B/y.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#302 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:31 pm

Heart rate going up with adrenaline without much exercise is NOT good for you. The air force docs were very keen to emphasise that.
It's why they put gyms on fighter squadrons, weights mainly, so we could work off excess adrenaline immediately after landing.

I installed a small punchbag, for the health of students, just outside the toilets in the science block at one of my schools. Ikea used to sell them.
Students might ask to go to the loo as normal, but no one would know if they gave the punchbag a smacking to ease their stress.
It proved to be effective at relieving stress, not just popular. And of course it decreased how much they hit each other.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#303 Post by Dushan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:26 pm

Did they have your picture on the IKEA bag, or was the fact that it was IKEA sufficient to hit it hard?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#304 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:09 pm

There were no prohibitions thereof, but no pictures appeared to be necessary.
I suggested they used their imaginations.

In fact, I very rarely prohibited anything. Kids like defying authority. They would much rather go break some else's rules than do something you haven't banned.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#305 Post by probes » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:26 pm

probes wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:23 pm
Should another thread be opened for the Red Sea crisis? With Turkey accusing UK and US. Evidently attacking ships is ok, then.
What's wrong with people? What was all the fuss about Covid deaths - now that we see bombs and missiles are ok to drop on their neighbours (or just ships) for some?
Dushan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:09 pm
Yes, it's OK to drop bombs on those who attack us and our assets. It goes under the rubric of "don't bring a knife to a gunfight".
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough (considering the context) - of course I meant it's outrageous to attack without any provocation (like Russia does and Hamas did and would and the Red Sea terrorists are doing).

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#306 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:06 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:09 pm
There were no prohibitions thereof, but no pictures appeared to be necessary.
I suggested they used their imaginations.

In fact, I very rarely prohibited anything. Kids like defying authority. They would much rather go break some else's rules than do something you haven't banned.
Yes, far better if you can avoid banning it. I always remember when my sister declared that she wanted to get a motorbike. My parents agreed and offered to help pay for the bike and proper training, if she promised to do the training. A year or two later, she commented that it was easy to tell who in her peer group had been on a training course and who hadn't, so I guess it worked.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#307 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:49 am

Apparently, the UK Carriers can't sail for the Red Sea because their only Solid Support Ship, RFA Fort Victoria, is still tied up at Birkenhead because the recruiting crisis means there's no one to man it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/0 ... nt-crisis/

When you decide to replace a meritocracy with a bureaucracy, things don't have to work.
They just have to look like they'll work on paper.
And when they fail to work for real, not only do you now have a crisis you didn't expect,
but you've also no longer got anyone left who can fix it.
And indeed everything that might need to be done to fix it is now Against Policy.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#308 Post by Dushan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:56 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:49 am
Apparently, the UK Carriers can't sail for the Red Sea because their only Solid Support Ship, RFA Fort Victoria, is still tied up at Birkenhead because the recruiting crisis means there's no one to man it.
You sexist, misogynistic, racist bigot. How dare you?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#309 Post by probes » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:10 am

:D interesting. It probably wouldn't do to say 'to woman' it either? Just out of linguistic interest, what would the all-round-neutral verb be?

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#310 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:45 am

'Person' it?? :-\ :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#311 Post by Karearea » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:53 am

Crew
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#312 Post by Dushan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:50 pm

And don't call the mailman a mailman. It's a personperson.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#313 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:28 pm

What is wrong with Wallah?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#314 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:34 pm

The Houthis say fresh air strikes hit northern Yemen today.
Official statements are that there were no US or UK strikes today.
So....Israel? Perhaps the Saudis? Tooting Popular Front?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#315 Post by Dushan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 pm

Self inflicted?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#316 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:39 pm

Hard to see how more than one Houthi missile would blow up around the same time, and in different locations.
Only Russia, Hamas and Israel have had significant Blue-on-Blues recently.
I've discovered the Saudis called for "Restraint" after the US/UK air strikes two days ago, so it probably wasn't them
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 024-01-12/
Since the Israelis seem quite busy enough, that would put Wolfi Smith and the TPF in the frame :))

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#317 Post by tango15 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:36 am

Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:39 pm
Hard to see how more than one Houthi missile would blow up around the same time, and in different locations.
Only Russia, Hamas and Israel have had significant Blue-on-Blues recently.
I've discovered the Saudis called for "Restraint" after the US/UK air strikes two days ago, so it probably wasn't them
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 024-01-12/
Since the Israelis seem quite busy enough, that would put Wolfi Smith and the TPF in the frame :))
Yeah, "Power to the people" :)

Does anyone else harbour the suspicion that this whole South African ICJ show is a wolf in sheep's clothing? The wolf in this case (or rather the bear) being their Russian friends? Far be it from me to try to understand the Russian mindset, even after 30 years of working with them, but I wonder if they have put South Africa up to this - why else would ZA care about what is happening in Gaza? - and are watching carefully to get tips on what happens, so that if the day comes when it's their turn they will have some useful background? That said, this being the UN, there will probably be little in the way of a useful outcome, apart from a possible written condemnation.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#318 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Follow the money.
Of course putin put them up to it.
And to my mind adds weight to my hypothesis that the whole Oct 7th business can be traced back to putin.

As can Yung Fat Wun's successful test of a solid-fuelled ballistic missile a couple of days ago.
Also worth noting that one of the Nork's biggest problems is TELs for their missiles, since the Soviet era ones are falling apart, and the Chinese company that gave them 8 new ones a few years ago 'for logging' got sanctioned.
Well YFW was wandering round a TEL factory two weeks ago, looking at lots of new TELs that are the spitting image of the current Russian ones. And they are upping production....since they now have a set of plans that will work.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#319 Post by k3k3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:47 pm

What's a TEL?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#320 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 pm

Transporter Erector Launcher

These things
1616715047790-tel-new-parade-3870449690.jpg
rodong-oct10-military-parade-new-11-axle-tel-icbm-1255x670-1-2311009215.jpeg
Essential for having a second strike capability, should the US hit the fixed nuclear missile silos first.

The Norks have been trying to get a ballistic missile sub fab'ed up for a long time, but haven't managed anything convincing.

They got a rail-based system up and running last year, but whilst Norkland does have a fair few rail tunnels with storage sidings in them, from Korean War days, a road mobile system is a lot more flexible.