Is bi-lingualism strictly enforced in Quebec?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rossian
Capt
Capt

Is bi-lingualism strictly enforced in Quebec?

#1 Post by Rossian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Asking for a friend you understand.https://www.ops-normal.org/posting.php?mode=post&f=64#
I don't relly know how to stick in an emoji. It's my age, honest.
The Ancient Mariner

Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: Is bi-lingualism strictly enforced in Quebec?

#2 Post by Dushan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:30 pm

No, only French is enforced; other languages are actually forbidden.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:14 pm

New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province.
There are problems at the Provincial government level, but most people are perfectly happy with it. In southern New Brunswick, people often greet strangers/customers with a dual language greeting, like Bonjour hello, then slip into whichever tongue seems easiest. I hear conversations in both New Brunswick and in/near Acadian communities, where one person is speaking one language and the other the other, and out of politeness this is often not their native language but the other person's.

and for extra fun, many Quebecers do not regard Acadians as proper French Canadians, and nor do many Acadians.
One of the problems is that spoken Acadian, which I hear regularly, is about 1/3 English words and phrases, and the Quebecers hate that.
The Acadians hold their own World gatherings, with one held here recently, and there were almost as many from Louisiana visiting as there were Quebecers.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 1DC » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:47 pm

Flew to Canada once using Air Canada realised that you had to speak French when they were serving food if you wanted your own choice. The aeroplane was as dirty as Air France as well so crossed it off my list for future use.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Dushan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:00 pm

Looks like AC achieved its objective with you. Their motto "We are not happy until you are not happy".
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".