Trials and tribulations of a new dog owner.

Pets of all persuasions.
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Trials and tribulations of a new dog owner.

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:26 am

Note: subject refers to newish dog and newish owner. Myf, newish dog, has been resident for three weeks, and is now sufficiently confident to start asserting her authority. Has just discovered new game "Chasing possums". :O3

1:30 am this morning she is sitting behind the front door doing little yelps. Being naive I thinks "she wants out to do her business", so let her out where she takes off like a rocket. Returns fifteen minutes later, tail waving like buggery and silly grin on her face. So I let her in and I return to bed.

Repeats above at 3:00am in it's entirety. I am not too impressed, like it's mid winter here and standing at the front door in dressing gown is not my idea of fun. When she tries it all again just after 4:30 am I hook her leash to her collar and to the patio railing, close the door, switch all the lights off and return to bed. Twenty minutes later crying and whimpering at the door, so I let her in and shout at her that she has been bad bad dog, and point to her bed.

Woke up later to discover pool of doggy poo in the middle of the lounge carpet. Where she had been standing when I shouted at her. One might surmise that she had shat herself when I yelled at her. At 75 don't do scrubbing floor on hands and knees easily, but couldn't see her cleaning it up, so that's how I started my day today. She has been very subdued all day and keeps nuzzling me for a cuddle. Needless to say I cuddled.

As yet undecided on course of action for tonight. Shoot the possum perhaps.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Trials and tribulations of a new dog owner.

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am

Find small dark soundproof room. Use that so there is no outside stimulus. It might be a bit stuffy and uncomfortable but you will soon get used to it.

😄

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am

The other problem she has is communication. She is quite clear what she wants but you are clearly a slow learner. To your ear one sound to you might sound just like another.

For instance: "Please get . . . " is the same sound as : "Please fill my water bowl" and " Please get my football". You must then interpret the look that goes with the sound.

"Please let me out . . ." for a poop will be accompanied by a moderately fast exit to a discrete location.

" (please) let me out . . . " to kill a possum will be accompanied by a greased weasel ***** exit.

In both cases a long tether will help you to interpret the meaning. The latter demand may also include a poop as it clears the decks so to speak but always follows the chase.

In other words, expect a poop to follow a chase.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:26 pm

As our dog trainer Brian once said..." I don't train the dog, I train the owner". At training classes when he was a pup there were initially things Dexter would do for Mrs C16 that he wouldn't do for me. Brian said the dog was obviously capable of understanding those particular commands that she gave Dexter but if I gave them then the response was not good. Brian insisted that the fault lay with me and he was right. Obviously my power of command had slipped over the years!

The most infuriating thing was when Dexter refused to carry out a particular command from either of us and Brian took the dog who then immediately obeyed him. :O3
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Look at crate training for a new puppy. A small crate, big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around and lie down, with a water bowl in it. Put the dog in that overnight and any time the dog is left alone. Most dogs will curl up and sleep, to them it's their den and safe place. Whenever you take the dog out of the crate, take it straight outside to do business. Take the dog out on leash, encourage "pee outside" as a command and give lots of praise when it happens. That keeps the dog more focused on what you want rather than let it run around and get distracted.

Also, only feed the dog in one place, even if you're giving it leftovers from your plates. That teaches the dog that there's no point in paying close attention at mealtimes because there's never going to be any food on offer, and means they'll only react when you get up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Llondel, I don't think that applies to Alison. I got the impression it was a drop in.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Charlie, my aunt was a great one for taking in rescues but really she shouldn't as she never walked them.

Anyway, Sam was a flea bitten old mutt. Quite happy and tolerant of his guests. Anyway we bathed him, fed him, walked him, and then I told him "sit". He sat. Then a said "shake paw". He gave me a startled look and presented his paw.

They are not as dumb as some would make out.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:42 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm
Llondel, I don't think that applies to Alison. I got the impression it was a drop in.
Been idly scanning a local pet rescue website for a few months. Didn't want a yappy toy brand nor an alsation or doberman. It had to be a proper dog. Then saw Myf. She looked like a cross between an African wild dog and a dingo, with a lions mane and tiger stripes, and I was sold. This was a real dog. First thing next morning took off to the pound with two neighbours accompanying.

Wasn't cheap; here rescues are given a once over by a vet - desexed, chipped and registered, wormed, etc. plus a healthy price margin to help cover the costs of running the pound. Hadn't planned to be returning with a dog in the car. En-route home had to drop into a store to buy a leash, bed, food and food bowls, etc. , etc., etc..

No drama last night. Looks like the possum has beaten a retreat.

Alison

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am

At least you didn't need to get the car repaired after dropping in😀

Here we registered with two centres, filled in copious questionnaires, left hopefully, and

So after a few months we bought a puppy. Enough about the puppy - the breeder is about an hour away, clips the dog 2-3 times per year, will board the dog for free, and our contract requires us to return the dog if we need to.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:38 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am
Here we registered with two centres, filled in copious questionnaires, left hopefully, and
So after a few months we bought a puppy.
PN, we have a Pet Rescue website at https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/s ... er_page=12 which on checking has close to 3,000 dogs available for adoption at this moment. Lots of filters to specify locality, breed, age, etc. Some are quite gorgeous like this one

whitey.jpg
whitey.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 731 times
https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/729232

Myf was at my local pound - just 10km away. If a dog proves to be unsuitable we can return them within three weeks and get a full refund. We were able to choose, pay and leave with her there and then, with minimal drama. The cost was just AUS$340. Not sure whether they would be so forthcoming if we were Vietnamese and enquired about the weight of a dog. ;)))

Alison

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Alison, it is almost as hard as human adoption here. Scottie doesn't like water have you a pond? She likes to be on her own. She doesn't like children etc etc.

We had one Scottie loved to paddle. They all liked company. All loved children as little people. They could be top dog but if the other dog accepted them as boss, no problem.

But never an offer.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:20 am

Been giving Myf a sizeable lump of brisket bone every two to three days. The last two have disappeared rather quickly. She just went and retrieved one from a hole she dug in a flower bed. Brisket bone marinated in soil for a few days is on the menu tonight. What do I do when she decides she wants a cuddle later? Wear a mask? #:-S

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 am

Grin and bear it, except don't grin