PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Heart Breaking But Heartwarming

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 am

'Please love me': Heartbreaking note found with abandoned dog :O3

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/ple ... ndoned-dog

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/dim ... uction.png

TENNESSEE (WRTV) — An animal shelter is hoping social media will help them find the owner of a dog that was abandoned with a heartbreaking note attached to his collar.

The note, which was posted by the McKamey Animal Shelter, along with a photo of Lilo, states that the owner could no longer care for the dog.

"Please love me. My mom can't keep me and is homeless with two kids," the note says.

"She really loves me and I'm a great dog and love to be loved on."

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/dim ... o-note.jpg

with abandoned dog
Lilo and Note.png
Photo by: McKamey Animal Shelter

By: WRTV StaffPosted at 12:20 PM, Jan 25, 2023 and last updated 12:20 PM, Jan 25, 2023
TENNESSEE (WRTV) — An animal shelter is hoping social media will help them find the owner of a dog that was abandoned with a heartbreaking note attached to his collar.

The note, which was posted by the McKamey Animal Shelter, along with a photo of Lilo, states that the owner could no longer care for the dog.

"Please love me. My mom can't keep me and is homeless with two kids," the note says.

"She really loves me and I'm a great dog and love to be loved on."

The shelter shared the letter with a note, saying it hoped to reunite Lilo with her family and help them find the help they need.

"We want you to know she is safe, and we will take the very best care of her. She will be loved by our staff and volunteers, we will keep her name, and we promise you we will do our best to find her a wonderful new home," their Facebook post read. "But if you are reading this, we hope you will come forward to reclaim her. We will help you with whatever you need to care for her, to the best of our ability. Lilo definitely misses you, and we would like nothing more than to see her go back to the family she loves. Either way, please know that we understand, we will not judge, and we are here to help in any way we can."

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Heart Breaking But Heartwarming

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:46 am

Update:
Abandoned dog found with handwritten note reunites with owner
:O3

https://images.foxtv.com/static.fox10ph ... ?ve=1&tl=1

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - An animal shelter has reunited an abandoned dog after she was found with a handwritten note.

The McKamey Animal Center in Chattanooga, Tennesee, said Lilo arrived at the shelter when a good Samaritan found her wandering with her leash and the note.

"My name is Lilo," the note read. "Please love me. My mom can’t keep me and is homeless with two kids. She tried her best but can’t get help. I cost too much for her. She really loves me and I’m a great dog and love to be loved on. Please don’t abuse me."

In a Facebook post, the shelter wrote back to the mother.

Edit: Lilo’s mom has been located and we are working with the family. Please see our most recent post for further information.

A Note To Lilo’s Mom:

Lilo arrived at MAC a few days ago after a Good Samaritan found her wandering with her leash still attached, likely near where you left her. We are so sorry that you had to make the decision to leave her behind. We know many folks are struggling to care for their pets right now. We know how hard it must be to give up an animal you so clearly loved because you can’t provide the care she needs. We understand.

We want you to know she is safe, and we will take the very best care of her. She will be loved by our staff and volunteers, we will keep her name, and we promise you we will do our best to find her a wonderful new home. But if you are reading this, we hope you will come forward to reclaim her. We will help you with whatever you need to care for her, to the best of our ability. Lilo definitely misses you, and we would like nothing more than to see her go back to the family she loves. Either way, please know that we understand, we will not judge, and we are here to help in any way we can.

Edit: We would like to add that we are well connected with resources and agencies who are ready and willing to help individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilo was found with the note pictured here attached to her collar. While we understand what and why Lilo’s mom did what she did, we wish that she had come to us first for resources and help. We’re here to help and we want to see people and their pets stay together, no matter the circumstance.

We offer a community pet food pantry for when times are tough, low-cost (and sometimes free!) vaccines, microchips, and spay/neuter services. We also have lots of self-rehoming resources available for situations like these – you can see them here: mckameyanimalcenter.org/rehome-a-pet/ .

We want Chattanooga to be a community where pets are truly family, not just for the economically privileged, but for everyone. That means reaching out a hand of support to your neighbors, donating to emergency care funds like MAC’s Angel Fund, spreading the word about low-cost and free services, and supporting the lifesaving work MAC and other local organizations are doing every day. Please understand that as hard as we try, MAC cannot do it all alone, we need the community’s support -- we need your support. ❤️

Please do NOT abandon your pet! Abandoning an animal is illegal, but more importantly, it should never have to be an option. We thank you for all your ongoing support, and appreciate the patience and kindness many of you have shown us during this national sheltering crisis. If you need help with your pet, please call us at (423) 305-6500 or visit our website for resources at www.mckameyanimalcenter.org .

"We are so sorry that you had to make the decision to leave her behind," the shelter posted. "We know many folks are struggling to care for their pets right now. We know how hard it must be to give up an animal you so clearly loved because you can’t provide the care she needs. We understand."

The shelter said the dog is safe and is currently being loved by staff and volunteers as they try to find her a home.

However, the shelter had hoped the pet owner will return to reclaim the dog and get whatever help is needed.

"Lilo definitely misses you, and we would like nothing more than to see her go back to the family she loves," the shelter said.

At the same time, the shelter is urging people not to abandon their pets, as it is illegal and should never be an option.

"While we understand what and why Lilo’s mom did what she did, we wish that she had come to us first for resources and help," the shelter said. "We’re here to help and we want to see people and their pets stay together, no matter the circumstance."

On Tuesday, the shelter provided an update.

"We have an incredible update about Lilo to share with you all....her owner has been found!" the shelter posted, adding that it cannot provide details about the reunion.

We have an incredible update about Lilo to share with you all....her owner has been found!

While we can't share a lot of the details with you yet, we are actively working with the family to set them up with a safe haven, shelter, and resources to stay together and tackle homelessness. We are thankful for everyone who has advocated for the family, and shared our post. We are amazed at the outpouring of support. It truly takes a community, and you all have certainly shown us how powerful ours is - thank you so much.

If Lilo's story moved you, please consider being a hero for a homeless animal (or family!) in your local community. ❤️

"We are actively working with the family to set them up with a safe haven, shelter, and resources to stay together and tackle homelessness," the post read

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:12 pm

I would have dumped the kids and kept the dog. Priorities!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 pm

Dog abandoned in desert found living with coyote pack

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/02/05/wat ... yote-pack/

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (KVVU/Gray News) - An all-white dog was spotted living among coyotes in the open Nevada desert for months.

Occasionally, the dog, named Ghost, would make his way into nearby neighborhoods with its unlikely friends.

According to KVVU, Ghost appeared to not only have been accepted by the pack but may even have led it.

The dog may have been dumped in the desert as a puppy and was taken in by the coyotes as one of their own.

Susan McMullen, of the Southern Nevada Trapping Team, said the first report of Ghost made on social media was in July.

“It seems like he may have been put out there between seven and eight months and somehow or another, the coyotes just accepted him,” she said.

For the last seven months, neighbors posted sightings of Ghost on neighborhood groups.

True to his name, every time someone would approach him, Ghost would disappear.

McMullen said she recently learned Ghost may have been injured, so she, along with her partner Timi Zondiros, determined to rescue him and get him help.

“He was actually just running with them and eating with them, but then he started to limp, and we were afraid that the coyotes could turn on him,” McMullen said.

Neighbors shared maps of the paths Ghost would take. McMullen and Zondiros searched near homes and in the open desert for days and hours on end.

“We were very nervous about where he was, how he was,” Zondiros said.

The efforts of the two finally paid off Saturday night. They set up a crate baited with food, and Ghost walked into the trap.

“When he got into that crate…. He just sat down. I think he was also relieved,” Zondiros said.

McMullen said it was a relief to get him out of that situation. She said, despite living for months in the desert with a pack of coyotes, Ghost is as friendly as can be and takes to every human he sees.

“He is the sweetest, most loving dog… he comes up to you, he wants to be petted, he wants to be held,” Zondiros said.

Living for seven months among coyotes did not come without a cost, however. KVVU reports fights scarred Ghost’s face and body, and he also has an ear infection, skin issues, and needs to have a broken toe amputated and to be neutered.

“He’s got some rocks in his belly because he was probably hungry and ate some rocks, so we are just going to watch those and hopefully those will pass so we don’t have to have yet another surgery,” McMullen said.

Ghost has shown no signs of aggression, and once his medical work is done, he will be up for adoption. The transition between living with coyotes to living with humans could take some time, however.

“He is not crate trained. He is not leash trained… he doesn’t sleep at night. He paces; he pants, nighttime is really hard for him,” McMullen said.

Ghost harbors no resentment toward humans despite being left for dead in the desert. He is ready to stop roaming and find a family who loves him and a forever home.

Zondiros said she wants Ghost to be adopted into a loving home where he’ll have a bed and people to give him affection.

“I believe he is going to be the best dog because they are the most grateful, the ones that are rescued… they feel it,” Zondiros said.

A GoFundMe has been established to help with Ghost’s medical bills, which currently cost over $4,000.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:32 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:12 pm
I would have dumped the kids and kept the dog. Priorities!
=)) :-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Lost dog finds her way back to former shelter, rings doorbell for help
Bailey not only made her way across the city to the shelter she used to live in — she also knew exactly how to let her old friends know she was there.
See link for pics. :O3

https://www.12news.com/article/news/nat ... 6f49d6347b

https://media.12news.com/assets/CCT/ima ... 40x641.jpg

EL PASO, Texas — A rescue dog in Texas went on a journey that sounds like the plot of a "Homeward Bound" sequel, getting loose from her new owner and winding up back at the front door of her former shelter — in the middle of the night — ringing the doorbell, asking to be let in.

On January 29, the Animal Rescue League of El Paso put out an urgent alert on social media asking for help finding newly-adopted Bailey, who'd gotten loose from her owner. A few people on the rescue's Facebook page reported seeing her, but nobody was able to catch her.

Apparently that is because Bailey was a woman with a plan. Nose down, she made a beeline straight for the most familiar surroundings.

Following a mental roadmap that stunned shelter staff and would probably make a New York cabbie jealous, Bailey found her way back to the Animal Rescue League two days later, about 10 miles from her new home.

But what's a girl to do when you show up in the middle of the night and there's no one to let you in? Ring the bell, of course.

Just after 1 a.m. on January 31, shelter staff got a Ring doorbell notification with a view of a very cute, very tired pup at the front door. Staff rushed there to let Bailey in, gave her a warm blanket and tucked her in.

"Bailey is now safe," the shelter shared in an update. "To all those who searched, spotted, called, hoped - we thank you. As we knew, dogs are incredible. Bailey made her own way back to ARL, and rang our ring doorbell at 1:15 am saying she wanted in. Staff rushed to the shelter and put Bailey in her run. She was very happy, and we were too."

Bailey has since been reunited with her new family.

"She lived at the shelter for soooo long this was home to her," the shelter added in a comment on social media. "She felt safe here. When she got loose she was on a mission to get home.

pp

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:10 pm

A dog lover's pilgrimage to Dog Mountain

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/dog-mount ... og-lovers/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-dog-love ... -mountain/

If Dog Mountain were just a joyful place where dogs can run around, or plop into a nice pond, it would still be pretty special – 150 dog-friendly acres in the scenic hills of northern Vermont. But there is much, much more to this story. It's actually a real tear jerker, sweet but sad.

dog-mountain-vt-wide.jpg
Dog Mountain, in St. Johnsbury, Vt.
CBS NEWS
It began in 1994, when artist Stephen Huneck was injured falling down a flight of stairs, his injury causing him to develop a rare, often-fatal lung condition. "I was dead for, like, five minutes, not breathing," he said in 2009, reliving the nightmare. "I was in a coma for over two months. They pretty much wrote me off."

His wife, Gwen, also recalled at the time, "I said to myself I'm going to be positive. I'm going to believe he's going to get better."

And he did. Stephen had to learn how to walk again, and he credited his dogs: "My dogs really took care of me. We would go for short walks in the woods, and they really stayed right with me."

First Dog Chapel Opens In Vermont
A 2001 photo of Gwen and Stephen Huneck in their Dog Chapel.
JORDAN SILVERMAN/GETTY IMAGES
His dogs became the subjects of the now-famous woodcuts he was finally strong enough to make. His black lab, Sally, was featured in a series of bestselling children's books he wrote and illustrated. And then came his vision: "I remember the moment perfectly where I had this idea pop into my mind: build a chapel for dogs, and for people," he said.

He built it himself, with this sign out front:

all-breeds-no-dogmas.jpg
CBS NEWS
There are carved dogs everywhere in the chapel, even a dog angel on top of the steeple. The chapel opened in 2000, and is, more than anything, a roomful of love.

dog-chapel-interior.jpg
Inside the Dog Chapel.
CBS NEWS
Every inch of every wall, floor to ceiling, has been covered with layers and layers of photographs and messages people have left, mourning the dogs they've lost (and the occasional cat).

messages-from-dog-lovers.jpg
Messages from dog lovers.
CBS NEWS
It can be overwhelming. One visitor, Charlotte Diaz, noted, "It makes me happy, despite crying, to come back and see. And I feel like this is a place that they're buried and that we come back and visit every year."

Heather Berkey drove 7½ hours from outside Philadelphia to honor her Viszla, Lexi, who had died a few weeks before from cancer. She brought some of Lexi's ashes to spread on Dog Mountain. "You run free, love you, love you, Lexi."

Teichner asked, "Does it help?"

"To have her up here and free … there's no words," Berkey replied.

How many places are there where society lets you grieve for a dog, with all your heart, the way you would a person? The way I have dogs in my life?

Susan Ohlidal is an Episcopal priest whose ministry includes comforting people at Dog Mountain. She volunteers here, and comes almost every day.

Teichner asked her, "Do you believe that dogs go to heaven?"

"I would like to think yes," said Ohlidal. "Stephen Huneck has a great, whimsical piece of art that's entitled, A Dog Has a Soul. And the dog is holding a shoelace with a shoe attached."

dogs-have-a-soul.jpg
CBS NEWS
For all the humor in his work, Stephen Huneck struggled with depression. Here's the sad part of this story.

Afraid he would have to close Dog Mountain and his gallery as a result of the Great Recession, in January 2010, Huneck died by suicide. Three years later, his wife, Gwen, took her own life.

Teichner asked Ohlidal, "You have a place of joy. You have a place of love. But you also have the suicides of Stephen and Gwen. Now, how do you square that with the wonder of the place?"

"I don't think they are to be squared," she replied. "It's only a piece of a story, and the story of what they have left behind, this gift, is where most other people and myself are greatly impacted by."

The Hunecks' dream lives on. Amanda McDermott, creative director of Dog Mountain (and the person who cares for the current Sally), said, "One of the things that the Hunecks kind of realized is, every little child that's ever fallen in love with the Sally books, when they get to come to Dog Mountain and actually meet the Sally, it's one of those things that they feel is so special."

Three times a year, Dog Mountain has a party. Hundreds of dogs (and their people) showed up in October. It was a free-to-all, free-for-all.

But in spite of all the playful chaos, I managed a quiet moment, to slip into the chapel and find a place to leave my message, to tell the dogs I've lost that I love them still, and hope that, wherever they are, they know.

marthas-dogs.jpg

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:11 pm

Warning: Reading this may cause watery eyes.

Christopher L.
Foothills on the Preserve • 1 day ago •
A letter from the Post Office... This is absolutely the best!! We don't know who replied,
But there is a Beautiful soul working in the dead letter department who understands
LOVE..........................
Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.
The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was
crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.
She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to
heaven, God would recognize her.
I told her that I thought that we could, so she dictated these words:
Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog?
Abbey died yesterday and is with you in heaven.
I miss her very much.
I 'm happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.
She likes to swim and play with balls.
I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.
I really miss her.
Love, Meredith
We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith,
addressed it to God/Heaven.
We put our return address on it.
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she
said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.
That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.
A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.
I told her that I thought He had.
Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch
addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.
Meredith opened it.
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'
Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God
in its opened envelope.
On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:
Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I
recognized her right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore.
Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.
Abbey loved being your dog.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to
keep your picture in so I'm sending it back to you in this little book for
you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you
write it and sending it to me.
What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find.
I am wherever there is love.
Love,
God
o:-) :O3 :YMAPPLAUSE: ^:)^

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:10 pm

Marvellous.