Found Dogs

Pets of all persuasions.
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Found Dogs

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 pm

Got a call last night from D#2.
I heard panting in the background which she said was coming from two rather large dogs in her backseat. She was on the other side of the city to visit friends and on the way she saw the two doge running in the street and almost hit by another car.
She stopped and got them in her car as they were rather friendly and called me for advice on how to proceed.
I told her to go to the nearest dollar store and get a collar for the one who didn't have one as well as leashes to help control them so that they wouldn't bolt on her. Also said to get a plastic container to give them water.
As she was in an unfamiliar area I told her to Google for the nearest 24 hour vet/animal hospital to take them in to be scanned for a microchip.
She did. They were and she was able to return them to their home. :YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd (*)
I didn't find out the outcome until this mourning as she was out very late with her friends.
I was very glad that I didn't wake up to two visiting dogs in my backyard as she is going out of town to visit a friend for the three day Presidents' Day holiday, leaving me to try to sort them out. #:-S
Major kudos to her for her compassion and how she handled the situation. ^:)^

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Found Dogs

#2 Post by Karearea » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 pm

^ a happy conclusion! Nicely done. :-bd
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 pm

Well done to D#2 for getting them reunited.

Many years ago, I worked in Bishops Stortford. We had an established routine at lunchtime where a bunch of us would walk down to a group of shops to get lunch. One day, there were a couple of boxers roaming around, which we tagged as we walked. Then they crossed the road, forcing a car to slow down to avoid them. A couple were watching from their front gate and it was quickly established by talking to them that the dogs were not local. A couple of us who were not nervous around dogs managed to approach and grab them, they were enthusiastic and not aggressive, and read the phone number on the tag to someone with his phone out. Owner was duly called, was horrified that the dogs were loose, and appeared a while later in a vehicle to come retrieve them. They had managed to break down a fence and escape.

On the other side of that, three years ago Kepler was on her way to the east coast for a show in North Carolina and then up to Westminster in New York. The plan was that I would fly out to NC to meet up with the transport. It was the first time we'd ever let one of our dogs go off like this. I was sitting on the couch one evening when my wife came down the stairs talking on the phone, and it was clear that something had happened with Kepler. Turns out she was being put back in her crate in the van in Dallas in a thunderstorm after a pee break, and a nearby bolt of lightning startled her and she ran. She was spotted a mile away in a park by a couple of teenagers, who figured she shouldn't be out and managed to catch her, took her home to their mother who called the number on the tag. I called the transport people, was answered with "Thank god she's safe!" and we put them in touch with the woman and Kepler was duly reunited. We'd bought new, legible tags a month or so beforehand, I guess that was an excellent investment.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:57 pm

I just got the rest of the story about the dog rescue.
She got them to the animal hospital just a little while before they closed for the night. They were scanned and chips read out.
The owners were called twice and both times went to voicemail. As they were about to close D#2 had to sign a waiver to take the dogs and at that point the owners were left with her number (The vets and hospitals will not share owners' info with finders) and she was called a short time later and they were reunited at the now closed practice.
She even let them have the collar and leashes that her friends had picked up for her as the owners didn't think to bring theirs.
Isn't it nice when a plan actually works?

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:44 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:57 pm
The vets and hospitals will not share owners' info with finders
PP
Indeed, I found a dog wandering in the main street and took it to the nearby vets.
When I subsequently enquired whether the dogs had been 'found' the vets wouldn't tell me anything!