More Boeing Bad News

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More Boeing Bad News

#381 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:05 pm
Do you mean this one - - currently 'not available' I believe in the USA in its original broadcast form - not sure about the YouTube one - don't want to frighten the horses. Interesting that Al Jazeera (English) have so much 'against' Boeing.

Not sure about the 'veracity' of the content, but I'm very glad I am not having to operate the NG in turbulence any more.
If the aircraft had been certificated on the basis of additional strength and higher manufacturing tolerances predicated upon the use of high precision CNC machines then such certification should have been rescinded when it became clear that the machines were not being used or were being used in non-conforming or non-calibrated states. The latter issue would have been shown up immediately when items (or even one item) in batches of parts were found to be non-conforming in shape or design because the the CNC machine process should always deliver parts to specification. That this was not happening should have been a red flag to Boeing before any such part was fitted to an aircraft and the FAA should have been aware of this as well. The fact that such parts were being delivered, and fitted, after a fact finding mission to the supplier, where it became clear that the parts were effectively being manually machined (or mangled) is a scandal.

This story has an air of verisimilitude or, most likely, the truth about it and points to a huge engineering ethical and management failure at Boeing, the FAA and the rogue supplier(s).
For what is it to die, but to stand in the sun and melt into the wind?
--Kahlil Gibran

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#382 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 am

Despite all of the above, Boeing shares are up, as are other US aerospace manufacturers shares, today...
Shares of Boeing (NYSE:BA) jumped 19% at the open, and traded up more than 13% in late morning, on growing optimism for a government stimulus package that would provide some relief to the troubled commercial aerospace sector. CEO David Calhoun appeared on CNBC this morning to talk up the need to support the industry, and also said Boeing remains on track to get its troubled 737 MAX airborne again by mid-year.
The situation has led Boeing to seek at least $60 billion in government aid for itself and its suppliers. Boeing said it would use any liquidity support to make payments to suppliers to maintain the health of its supply chain for the time when demand returns.

That aid was far from certain a week ago, but markets are rallying on Tuesday on improved dialog among lawmakers in Washington that has investors optimistic a bailout package including relief for hard-hit sectors will get done.

Aerospace stocks are also likely moving higher on Calhoun's optimism about the 737 Max. The plane was expected to be a best seller for Boeing and its suppliers, before it was grounded.
More from the Motley Fool on this here...
--Kahlil Gibran

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#383 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:58 am

As an aside, CNC machines, when setup and used properly are truly amazing....

The CNC machine is truly a wonder to behold and is generally far more complex and beautiful than the aviation parts it produces.
--Kahlil Gibran

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#384 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm

I was involved at Dowty-Rotol at Gloucester in the early 70's.

They were using Milwaukeematic NC machines to manufacture the undercarriage components for Harriers.

The Milwaukeematic's were fed with paper tape programs that in turn had been produced by an IBM 1130.running a package called 'Romance'.

When a program change was made, the 1st run of a new program was done on a lump of wood!
Wine improves with age
I improve with wine :YMPARTY:

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#385 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm
I was involved at Dowty-Rotol at Gloucester in the early 70's!

At Staverton?

I worked with Lister Petter (Hawker Siddley) in Dursley and when that went south with Caradon Mira in Cheltenham. Lots of software integration work with their CNC machines. :)
--Kahlil Gibran

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#386 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Spent three years as local sales manager with Computervision when they were the bees knees with CADD. Including ten weeks or so learning all about NURBS at MIT. Followed that by a period with Intergraph. They were more into civil engineering and such like.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#387 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pm
At Staverton?
Yes.
Wine improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#388 Post by ian16th » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Yes, Go Ahead And 'Nationalize' Boeing With A Bailout.

You might have to sign up and subscribe to read this.

It is a FREE subscription.
Wine improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#389 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:31 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm
Yes, Go Ahead And 'Nationalize' Boeing With A Bailout.

You might have to sign up and subscribe to read this.
Never let Airbus ever again hear Boeing complain about EU government subsidies if they get the $60 billion they are begging the US fiscus for.

Ain't karma a bitch!
--Kahlil Gibran