Chap sucked into engine

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Chap sucked into engine

#1 Post by Wodrick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:26 am

Man sucked in

On start or Idle I think he must have been VERY close, in my experience if you are in the right place it's not a problem.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chap sucked into engine

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:02 am

There is obviously a lot more to the story which has not been told yet, since the 'facts' so far do not add up. There is a suggestion that the crew taxied before the ground guy was clear, or he was too close for a cross-bleed start. Very sad.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 am

Anyone who has had the misfortune to operate aircraft in that neck of the woods will know the chaotic ground operations. Just at the Injun resturant here for lunch. I think that we will steer clear of the ground beef until the JNB flight departs :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:10 pm

This guy on the USS Theodore Roosevelt had an amazing escape when he was sucked into the intake of an A-6 Intruder back in 1991......

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v1Pgpzp88[/bbvideo]
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

msdad2
Snr FO
Snr FO

#5 Post by msdad2 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Look what that did to his Hair!
I hate Signatures!

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#6 Post by glad rag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Straying from SOP's and running engines is a bad combination, start doing that regularly [and I know, having been the innocent party on the subsequent receiving end] and the countdown counter is started....

poor guy, what a horrible death.

RIP
The sands of time are running low...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:12 pm

There was one fatality in the RAF where the groundcrew chap didn't button up his parka; Nimrod I think. The increased area as it opened up created enough force to drag him in. I used to show a re-enacted safety video to new arrivals on Base as part of their Flight Safety talk.

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#8 Post by glad rag » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:46 am

Foxy, in my case it was the chimp doing the ground run for an ACDC test who decided to try a lanes check whilst we were under the intake to "expedite" the aircraft servicing...lane 2 failed, engine ran away, my CW jacket was left on the intake guard......never had much time for :ymcowboy: sooties :ymcowboy: after that unless they proved to me they weren't FUDS...speaking of which, I don't have much time for :ymcowboy: AV's :ymcowboy: who remove servicing gags and reset CB1 DESPITE having talked to glad 2 minutes earlier "yes it's okay for power I've tripped the CB's" as he stood on a set of steps with the radar AC supply connector dismantled in his hand..........

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:58 am

There was a story doing the rounds at Rand Airport a while back of a gentleman with a darker skin hue who, in Winter, discovered that it was much warmer to stand directly in front of one of the ground radars. When they found him apparently most of his internal organs were steaming. Never underestimate the ability of some people to ignore SOP's when their personal comfort can be enhanced by doing so.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 am

I recall the groundcrew asking me to switch on the AI23B radar while they stood in front of it -"something for the weekend "as the saying goes :((

The latest rumour from the accident ("Hindustan Times" and Av Herald) is that the crew commenced taxy without groundcrew clearance while the poor chap was watching the tow-bar removal, with his back to the engine. Again depending on which (of many) 'reports' you read, there is still confusion as to whether this was a cross-bleed start or not, but I don't think that fits with events, since it was No 2 involved.

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#11 Post by glad rag » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Alisoncc wrote:There was a story doing the rounds at Rand Airport a while back of a gentleman with a darker skin hue who, in Winter, discovered that it was much warmer to stand directly in front of one of the ground radars. When they found him apparently most of his internal organs were steaming. Never underestimate the ability of some people to ignore SOP's when their personal comfort can be enhanced by doing so.

Alison

And I know of an RAF SAC who climbed on top of the PAR at Wyton so he could guard it better, poor bugger...so how does skin colour come into it ya FUD?