MH370

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: MH370

#181 Post by probes » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:15 am

The Sun had an article (yesterday) claiming that the Boeing 777 pilot Simon Hardy has a 'plausible theory' of suicide-murder by the captain, supported by the last minute addition of oxygen to the cockpit supply (!) and more fuel (which he needed to start ditching in daylight, well, dawn). Which was needed because Capt Zaharie planned to ditch his flight to the deepest ravine in the seabed (the 3D map was also somewhere) and needed to make sure there's just enough fuel and oxygen (for him) to lower the landing gear to absorb the shock while ditching and prevent damage (= debris later) and avoid fuel spill on the surface. And that he had practiced the route on his home sim.

Article and video

Dunno. Could it really be that he didn't want (posthumous) credit for such an elaborate plan? No notice anywhere? Or someone's keeping their mouth shut?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#182 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:32 am

I have never come across 'comp fuel' before - the only Google hit I can find suggests it is a Korean Air company 'policy' to add fuel for known historic shortfalls, in which case it might not have been a crew decision, but OPS? It is quite high - around 8% and equal to final reserve. Any other piloten seen it on a crew flight plan?

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by tango15 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:38 am

One thing is for sure - there is no shortage of 'experts' on the disappearance of this aircraft. On the programme in the UK a few nights ago, they must have wheeled out at least half a dozen.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#184 Post by probes » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:59 am

Well, but the doc are black-on-white. On second thoughts, if some 'extra' of oxygen and fuel was added, it should have been found out who did it and on whose orders?

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#185 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:04 am

A segment of the SBS TV News this evening here in South Australia was marking 10 years since the disappearance of MH370 and it featured emotional interviews with relatives of some passengers. Quite expected really.

But also expectedly, all the Relatives interviewed expressed desires for the finding of the A/C and the return of the Relatives bodies, for the appropriate Burial procedures, one assumes.

But this made me wonder; After 10 years at the bottom of the Ocean, and regardless of the depth, what if anything would remain of a Human body? :-\

I would think, virtually nothing would remain.

Anyone with any real knowledge of such things care to comment?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#186 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:23 am

On second thoughts, if some 'extra' of oxygen and fuel was added, it should have been found out who did it and on whose orders?
It looks to me as if everyone is seeking conspiracy here but the tech log looks to me like maintenance entries

"N/Stop check of crew oxy and top up" Topped up (Normal procedure)

Cannot decipher the second one some sort of 'downgrade'?

The fuel again looks like wild speculation. It would appear to be a 'normal' (though unexplained) Korean Air planning ?policy? to top up with the reserve fuel figure again? I cannot see that this can be laid at the crew?

Has there been any published rational look at this?

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#187 Post by talmacapt » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:13 pm

As Boac says, "top up oxygen" is quite a normal entry that appears in the tech. log.

The comp(any?) fuel, to my mind, could be what was in BA recorded as extra fuel.

It may be a figure determined as neccessary on that route and that day by the company to differentiate it from extra fuel requested by the pilot.

3000kg represents about 30 minutes extra fuel, less, probably, as some of it would be burnt carrying it.

Both of these matters are "red herrings" to my mind.

I watched the Payne Stewart Aircrash Investigators episode the other day and to my mind MH 370 falls into a similar category (unintentional loss of conscienceness).

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#188 Post by tango15 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:04 am
A segment of the SBS TV News this evening here in South Australia was marking 10 years since the disappearance of MH370 and it featured emotional interviews with relatives of some passengers. Quite expected really.

But also expectedly, all the Relatives interviewed expressed desires for the finding of the A/C and the return of the Relatives bodies, for the appropriate Burial procedures, one assumes.

But this made me wonder; After 10 years at the bottom of the Ocean, and regardless of the depth, what if anything would remain of a Human body? :-\

I would think, virtually nothing would remain.

Anyone with any real knowledge of such things care to comment?
I'm no expert on the Oriental mentality, but I think they see things more spiritually than we do. Among the various nations that were on that flight, there were various beliefs, but I think they will be united in the fact that they just want to know where the bodies are, so that they can have a point of reference. I noted the relative of one of the crew who said initially that they wanted the body back, and then re-phrased it by saying that they just want to know where the body is, so that they can have some sort of closure. There have been various murder cases in the UK (and no doubt elsewhere), eg Suzy Lamplugh and Keith Bennett (a victim of the Moors Murders), where the mothers have said that the worst part is not knowing where their bodies lie.
Some years ago, I was on a vessel belonging to the Grey Funnel Line (Royal Navy), where a few days earlier a member of the crew had been buried at sea. The best guess the onboard doctor could come up with was about six months, dependent upon the depth of the water where the body eventually came to rest, and the salinity of the water.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#189 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:48 pm

Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird (along with Campbell's body) was recovered from Coniston Water in 2001 by Bill Smith, an engineer from the North East, who had become fascinated with finding Bluebird and restoring it.
Previously Campbell's family (his daughter) seemed to have been content to let him remain after the 1967 incident (the water was an average depth of 24.1 metres, with a max depth of 56 metres).