MH370

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: MH370

#161 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:29 pm

boing wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm
What did not make sense, and still does not, is that if the pilot wanted to lose the aircraft why didn't he simply head out over the South Pacific instead of going across Malaysia.
Because he had rehearsed using the South Pole as 'destination' . . .

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by Boac » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 pm

We will never know unless he left something stashed away. Maybe the depth of the ocean?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:56 am

To reach the Pacific would mean much more chance of being tracked and even being intercepted. He could have known that Indonesian route had less chance of interception.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 am

Depressurise, evade radar. Once clear, DCT SPOLE and wait for the end.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 am

PN wrote:To reach the Pacific would mean much more chance of being tracked and even being intercepted.
- I do not see that. Only the Philippines to worry about? How good is their AD system? AFAIK only 12 'interceptors' in total and very limited radar until 2019.

I reckon going back over Malaysia was higher risk. Must have been some other reason.

However, the media are getting all 'excited' again - the Express is having a hot flush https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/12 ... e-asia-spt and Sky News Australia is wetting its pants (don't think it will put out the fires,

though)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:31 am

BOAC, maybe, I don't know about any US assets in land but maybe IAN presence at sea? Certainly great chance of shipping that way.

Once did a surface sweep between Gan and Sumatra, about 100 mile swathe, got one yacht.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:53 pm

The latest from the DM including a precis of all the wacky theories; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... chers.html
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:20 am

Guess what just popped up on Sky Oz radar;

It would be wonderful for the relatives to find out what might have happened, but I fear their hopes being raised again only to be dashed once more if this attempt gets under way and fails.

In what condition would the solid state devices be in after years at the bottom of a very deep salty ocean and could useful data be extracted?

Maybe our techies here can comment from a position of knowledge of DFDRs and voice recorders?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:39 am

Depends on whether it's watertight. I would expect salt water to corrode things, and a lot of semiconductor packaging will absorb water. It might be possible to dry stuff out to the point where it would function again, even if they had to try to extract individual chips and process them separately. I don't know if it was fitted with solid-state recorders or tapes, at some point presumably they just stopped making the tape versions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by FD2 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:34 am

There was something on TV here about this new theory. It seemed to show that the final position had been worked out using interference patterns between ham radio waves during the event itself. My mind went tilt at that point - it's either weird or very clever and I'm not smart enough to start working it out.

The man putting this forward seemed to indicate that he had narrowed it down to 300 square miles - say 10 by 30 - which sounds pretty small but a major expense to hire the kit and people. Sadly I've come to think that it would be impossible to work out exactly what happened from the wreckage, this length of time after the event.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:33 am

If it was an intentional murder/suicide, why didn't he/they simply close the throttles and wind the elevator trim fully nose-down? Why take the risk of going across three nations air defence system? Why take the risk of the people abaft the flight deck figuring a way of getting through the door?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by FD2 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:36 am

If it's lost and never found it creates a mystery which the conspiracy fans can latch onto. If it was deliberately crashed in the South China Sea or off the Malaysian coast there's no mystery.

The man even planned it on his laptop and was aggrieved at the way his prime minister was being treated for being gay. He must have been through security at KL many times but just on this occasion he chose to look deliberately and directly at the security camera as if to say 'see what I'm going to do next'?

It's pointless even discussing something which has been discussed a million times already. Someday it may be solved but till then it's just endless theories and speculation.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by tango15 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am

I am currently writing a book about Varig, the Brazilian airline. During my research, I came across something which I was aware of, but had never paid much attention to until now. Perhaps because there was only crew aboard, it didn't grab the world's attention quite the same. No trace of the aircraft, its crew or its cargo has ever been found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_967

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:11 pm

tango15 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am
I am currently writing a book about Varig, the Brazilian airline. During my research, I came across something which I was aware of, but had never paid much attention to until now. Perhaps because there was only crew aboard, it didn't grab the world's attention quite the same. No trace of the aircraft, its crew or its cargo has ever been found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_967
Interestingly, Captain Gilberto Araújo da Silva had experience crashing a 707.

Varig Flight 820 was a flight of the Brazilian airline Varig that departed from Galeão International Airport in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 11, 1973, for Orly Airport, in Paris, France. The plane, a Boeing 707, registration PP-VJZ, made an emergency landing on onion fields about four kilometers from Orly Airport, due to smoke in the cabin from a fire in a lavatory. The fire caused 123 deaths; there were only 11 survivors (ten crew members and one passenger).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_820

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by tango15 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:34 pm

Yes, he was a bit unlucky, wasn't he?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:57 pm

Just like Malaysian with their 777 fleet

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:45 pm

Malaysia may renew hunt for missing flight MH370, 10 years after its disappearance
The Boeing 777 plane carrying 239 people from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to Beijing, vanished from radar shortly after taking off on March 8, 2014.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mala ... rcna141549

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Malaysia’s government said Sunday it may renew the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 after a U.S. technology firm proposed a fresh search in the southern Indian Ocean where the plane is believed to have crashed a decade ago.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said Texas-based Ocean Infinity has proposed another “no find, no fee” basis to scour the seabeds, expanding from the site where it first searched in 2018. He said he has invited the company to meet him to evaluate new scientific evidence it has to find the plane’s final resting place.

If the evidence is credible, he said, he will seek Cabinet’s approval to sign a new contract with Ocean Infinity to resume the search.

“The government is steadfast in our resolve to locate MH370,” Loke told a remembrance event to mark the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of the jet. “We really hope the search can find the plane and provide truth to the next-of-kin.”

The Boeing 777 plane carrying 239 people, mostly Chinese nationals, from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to Beijing, vanished from radar shortly after taking off on March 8, 2014. Satellite data showed the plane deviated from its flight path and was believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

But an expensive multinational government search failed to turn up any clues, although several pieces of debris washed ashore on the east African coast and Indian Ocean islands. A private search in 2018 by Ocean Infinity also found nothing but the tragedy sparked moves to bolster aviation safety .

K.S. Nathan, a member of the Voice MH370 group comprising next-of-kin, said Ocean Infinity initially planned a new search last year but it was delayed by the delivery of its new fleet of ships and assets. It is now on track to resume the hunt, he said.

Loke declined to reveal the fee proposed by Ocean Infinity if it finds the plane, as this is subject to negotiation. He said financial cost is not an issue and that he doesn’t foresee any hindrances for the search to proceed if all goes well.

Loke’s response sparked tears of joy in some family members at the event held in a mall in a Kuala Lumpur suburb.

“I’m on top of the world,” said Jacquita Gomes, whose flight attendant husband was on the plane. She said she is thankful that she may now have a chance for full closure and say a final goodbye.

“We have been on a roller coaster for the last 10 years. ... If it is not found, I hope that it will continue with another search,” she said.

Family members of passengers from Malaysia, Australia, China and India paid tribute to their loved ones during the event, lighting a candle on stage to remember them.

“No matter if it is 10 years, 20 years or more, as long as we are still alive...we will not cease to press for the truth. We believe the truth will eventually come to light,” said Bai Zhong, from China, whose wife was on the plane.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#178 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:25 am

DM:
Mr Godfrey, who has made it his life's work to uncover what happened to the flight, said in a new BBC documentary: 'I'm convinced it will only take one more search and we will find MH370.'
Do we really trust a 10 year old :-?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by tango15 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:18 pm

I watched a re-run of this last night on TV. The only people who were convincing, to my mind at least, were those who had suffered the loss of relatives. The rest was pure guesswork and speculation, little of which I found plausible. Much was made of the R/T handover from Malaysian ATC to Ho Chi Minh by some American commentator, but it sounded perfectly normal to me.
If there is to be a further examination of the seabed, hopefully in the right general area, we can only hope that this whole unfortunate matter can be cleared up once and for all.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:34 am

Today marked the ten year anniversary of the disappearance of MH370.

PP