Egypt Air Flight Disappears from Radar

#1 Post by limeygal » Thu May 19, 2016 4:19 am

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Egypt Air Flight Disappears from Radar

#2 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu May 19, 2016 7:29 am

Sky News dribbling **** 'expert'...

'... We mustn't jump to conclusions, this could have been a fascist group trying to discredit Muslims..'

You couldn't make it up.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 am

As a former radar fitter, who has been out of aviation a long time, I'm amazed with the dependency on secondary transponders by civilian air traffic controllers.

When MH370 went missing, it was an eye opener to me.

With this Egyptair a/c, it seems that there was no radio contact for any hand over from Greek to Egypt air space, but the on-board transponder was still operating for a while.

Does the RAF still have long range ground to air radar on top of Mount Troodos? If so, they will probably be concentrating in the wrong direction, east, for it to be relevant to the Egyptair case.
Cynicism improves with age

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:32 am

My opinion? Explosive device.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 500N » Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 am

Agree RGB

Sisemen

#6 Post by Sisemen » Thu May 19, 2016 11:37 am

Dead set cert.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:43 am

Flying at 37,000' with no weather in the area, suddenly swerved - according to media reports anyway - and then crash? An Egyptian aircraft departing from Paris? Must have been a bird-strike at FL 370, that's it.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by probes » Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm

terror or technical -
When I have facts I will tell you the facts,” Fathy tells an increasingly rowdy press conference. “What else can I do?” he asks reporters.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... ve-updates

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Thu May 19, 2016 12:24 pm

The radio says that just after entering Egyptian airspace the aircraft made a sudden 90 degree left turn followed by a 360 turn to the right and then crashed...
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by 500N » Thu May 19, 2016 12:50 pm

"a 360 turn to the right and then crashed..."

I read that.

Why didn't they just say it did a complete circle ?

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:58 pm

A mariner in the area of the crash claims he saw a streak of fire at a high altitude at the time.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Thu May 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Sky News dribbling

Right ! Eating breakfast at 06:30, turned on Sky TV, report of this incident. an "aviation expert" in Egypt being questioned. 15 minutes later, still the only item on Sky News, an "aviation expert" in the UK being questioned. 7 a.m. still the only topic on Sky News, an "aviation expert" in the USA being questioned.

No mention of the new earthquake in Ecudor, collapse of the French government, the Queen abdicating, or Babs WIndsor leaving "Eastenders", all of which are more important....

a streak of fire

Now said to be "space debris reentering". ESA's got nothing today, wonder if China/Russia/NASA has ? Easy enough to check, NORAD keeps close watch on decaying orbits.

Ah well, as Captain Queeg said, "we are not here to speculate". However, terrorism for sure !

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Egyptian "authorities" are now saying - according to several media outlets anyway - that the crash was "probably" the work of terrorism.
Oh, what a surprise. When are people going to learn not to fly in or out of Egypt? At least until they get their ***** in order anyway.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by OFSO » Thu May 19, 2016 3:12 pm

When are people going to learn not to fly in or out of Egypt?

The problem is that by frightening tourists away from these hot-spots, many of whom depend largely on income from tourism to fund their rulers/dictators amazing lifestyles to fund their pathetically inadequate and strife ridden states, we are plunging them back into the primitive savagery which they were in 100 years ago causing breakdown of government there, allowing ISIS to march in and take over.

Frankly my own feeling is that we might as well build a wall right around Africa topped with electrified barbed wire and watchtowers we should do everything we can to eliminate terrorist and inter-racial states in Africa by selling them every weapon they want including nuclear so that they may eliminate themselves as quickly as possible and leave the rest of us in peace ensure Donald Trump is elected POTUS.

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 19, 2016 3:30 pm

I have been to Egypt once, many years ago, on an airline educational which was meant to show it at its best. I can only say that what I saw and experienced made me determined never to set foot in the country again, in fact I pulled a scam and revalidated my air ticket to leave earlier.

More recently, I did some work for Egyptair (not in Egypt) on their distribution side. They were quite the most obnoxious, ill-mannered and foul people I ever dealt with, out of well over 100 different nationalities, and the experience cemented my dislike of them, guaranteeing that there is no way I would set foot on one of their aircraft, let alone in their country. When they asked me to to go Cairo, I took great pleasure in saying no, and telling them why.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Capetonian wrote:I have been to Egypt once, many years ago, on an airline educational which was meant to show it at its best. I can only say that what I saw and experienced made me determined never to set foot in the country again, in fact I pulled a scam and revalidated my air ticket to leave earlier.

More recently, I did some work for Egyptair (not in Egypt) on their distribution side. They were quite the most obnoxious, ill-mannered and foul people I ever dealt with, out of well over 100 different nationalities, and the experience cemented my dislike of them, guaranteeing that there is no way I would set foot on one of their aircraft, let alone in their country. When they asked me to to go Cairo, I took great pleasure in saying no, and telling them why.

So on the great scale of scandalous peoples where are the Egyptians in comparison with Le Frogs, Cape? :D :D

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Unfortunately Les Frogs are more prevalent which makes them more of an irritation.
I must admit though that to choose between the two, I prefer the French, but before you think I'm going soft in my old age, not by much of a margin. At least in France it's safe to eat in most places, to drink the water, to go to a doctor or hospital, or to travel by train.

Edit : By 'safe', I meant you're unlikely to get serious food poisoning. Also you're not surrounded by thieving scrounging Egyptians trying to sell you everything from their grandmothers to their granddaughters, scarabs, carpets, stuffed camels, counterfeit goods .............

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Capetonian wrote:Unfortunately Les Frogs are more prevalent which makes them more of an irritation.
I must admit though that to choose between the two, I prefer the French, but before you think I'm going soft in my old age, not by much of a margin. At least in France it's safe to eat in most places, to drink the water, to go to a doctor or hospital, or to travel by train.

Sacre' bleu! :D :D

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Thu May 19, 2016 4:35 pm

At least in France it's safe to eat in most places

I went into my usual wateringhole last week, a large restaurant on the Ecole Militaire, which has panoramic windows looking out over busy traffic at the six-way junction, and remarked how few people were sitting there. For the rest of my visit I foresook the place and ate around the corner in the rue Cler - which is a pedestrian thoroughfare.

The food might be ok in a roadside restaurant, but the terrorist with the AK-47 on a motorbike doesn't care. And believe me, given the lax border controls, it is going to happen again, sure as sure.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by 500N » Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 pm

OFSO wrote:Frankly my own feeling is that we might as well build a wall right around Africa topped with electrified barbed wire and watchtowers we should do everything we can to eliminate terrorist and inter-racial states in Africa by selling them every weapon they want including nuclear so that they may eliminate themselves as quickly as possible and leave the rest of us in peace ensure Donald Trump is elected POTUS.

Easier said than done.

The French have made a fair crack at it, the Yanks late to the party but too constrained.