http://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/av ... rash-lands

A6-EMWis aircraft involved.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Emerates 777 gear uplanding at DXB

#2 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am

The usual conclusion jumping at TOP.

From the few pictures and bits of IPhone video, what I find disconcerting is that there are no visible survivors wandering about in a panic/daze.
Cynicism improves with age

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by limeygal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:24 am

what I find disconcerting is that there are no visible survivors wandering about in a panic/daze.

According to our news here, all pax safely evacuated

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:30 am

'...what I find disconcerting is that there are no visible survivors wandering about in a panic/daze.'

Would you wander around by that inferno? They legged it mate, some of them probably even vaulted over the perimeter fence.

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302

Not a bad update. Essential it was a gear up landing. The reason will be revealed in time. WS noted.

We always fly 777 between here and ATH with EK. That frame is a bit of a right off.

Compliments to the cabin crew. Always been impressed with them.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:09 pm

They got the pax off quick by telling them that Duty Free were giving away free Scotch.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Would you wander around by that inferno?

I wouldn't, but I would have expected some people to be visible in at least one of the pictures or video's.

Remember the Korean 777 at LAX or was it SFO?

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by SOPS » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

I'm going to love to see how Emirates spin this one. The Captain is a local ( problem 1 ) the FO is a brand new low time newby (problem 2). The spin is going to be incredible. Had the Captain been an expat, he or she would be being out in a flight out of Dubai ( for good ) tonight. But much face saving will now need to take place. I feel sorry for the FO. Has only been with the company a short time, and ( this is my opinion only), I would think he has already got the call to start packing his bags,

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 pm

From reading the thread at TOP, there apparently has been censorship of pictures/video showing people evacuating the a/c.

But they do exist.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:06 pm

I saw that Ian. Perhaps they are going to use the footage to behead all those carrying hand luggage.

Interesting to hear the flight deck combo. So in this case CRM has different rules.

It was a 'wheels up'. Either didn't drop them in the first case which I find hard to believe or hit WS and changed configuration on the attempted go around. Good Lord how many times have we all been through that drill in the sim. Throttles to the wall and hold a climb attitude, don't touch anything else. So I find both scenarios difficult to accept.

Ibbie, just noticed you spelt 'Emirates' incorrectly in the OP. May require admin to change it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Ex-Ascot

Always been impressed with them.
. So noted, if you say so I accept it without hesitation. ^:)^ Plus useful remarks about the Go-Around. Thank you. Once again I remember a comment about how much a two engine go-around is more difficult drill because it is less practiced on the sim.

SOPS, you answered a question I did not have the guts to ask at TOP precisely on how it is going to work out for the crew and the airline.

Capetonian

#11 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 am

Should this accident (incident according to their website) prove to be fatigue related, or a result of poor adherence to procedures, this gives some hope that this accident, along with the recent FlyDubai one in Russia, will end the dominance of this exploitative airline and people will think twice about going to or via the shithole in the desert which is its base. Emirates has been an accident waiting to happen for a long time, and it is fortunate that this one did not result in hundreds of fatalities. Hopefully this will be a warning.

Well done to CC for the injury free evacuation.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:38 am

Cape, I belive that they had a long layover in India before this flight. However fatigue is cumulative. I talk to the cabin crew and sometimes the pilots. They are so fatigued all the time that a 24 hr (say) layover isn't going to rejuvenate them.

The treatment of their crews is appauling. Their adminitration is third world. Their management are more interested in their camels.

We have tried all sorts of options JNB-ATH. Emirates is very well priced and the service is superb. I'm willing to take the risk of the pilots being asleep or the captain being a local :-o

I take your point about not supporting them. For the record we would never fly with a budget airline.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#13 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Interesting report on TOP from I think a pilot who observed the accident. Aircraft landed hard (WS?) bounced, appeared to attempt a G/A, retracted gear but failed to climb away. Not qualified 777 so not sure about the TOGA operation in this scenario. Still have spool up time considerations and the pressure altitude/WAT limits given the OAT and QNH.

Still bet the F/O will be sent back to Aussie and the R.. H...d is a hero.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:For the record we would never fly with a budget airline.

As a rule of thumb I tend to agree with you. I used to warn my son off flying with several of the now defunct SA 'budget' carriers.

A local exception I would nominate is Kulula. They use newer a/c than their BA badged co-company and their cabin and check in staff seem pleased to do their jobs. OK their cabin service is minimal, but as they only fly internally that isn't a great hardship. One Durban - Joburg leg we did, they cancelled our flight and consolidated us SLF onto the next BA flight. The extra legroom was noticeable and we had the in flight refreshments as well. But this was after I had retired so the delay was of no great consequence. If I had wanted an interconnecting flight from Joburg, I would have had a different attitude.

WRT Emirates, I once had a fit of masochism and we flew Joburg - Dubai - Auckland and return, with stopovers in Dubai each way. As you say, the cabin crew are terrific. In particular we had tremendous service from Irish girls. This was of course in cattle class. The leg from Dubai to Auckland was 18 hours, with stops in Singapore and Brisbane. It made me think back to Transport Command Hastings with fond memories of night stops in beds.

We did the Dubai - Joburg leg in an A-330 and the rest in B-777's, the seats in the B-777 were the more comfortable on my aged bones.

After years of being one of the bread and butter business class customers, I enjoyed flying on the upper deck of the BA 747-200's, no smoking and only 16 seats, an exclusive use trolley dolly and the least used toilet on the a/c. Mind you we had to share it with the driver and his staff!

Buying tickets from my taxed paid income only stretches to sitting in the back. :-q

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:46 pm

For the record we would never fly with a budget airline.

It behooves me to rush to the defence of Ryanair and easyJet. The passenger experience is demeaning (more so with the former than the latter) but standards of crew training and maintenance are very high. On the rare occasions I forsake my private carriage with the SNCF and Eurostar and fly either of these loco's, I feel safer than with many a national carrier.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Unfortunately my memories of SNCF are circa 1957-8 and hard seats between Marseilles & Paris :(

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 pm

I am more than happy to fly easyJet and do so frequently. It is extremely rare to have cause for complaint.
Ryanair is a terrific airline too, they carry some 80 million people a year, and that's 80 million reasons why I respect them but won't fly them.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Flown Squeezy Jet just once (rtn). Cabin crew were dressed like Thunderbird puppets. I had no confidence in these kids at all in the case of an emergency. Cabin service was well... anyway that is not the purpose of them being on board. The PAs from the flight deck were verging on what one would expect on a fantasy train ride in Disney World. The word professionalism didn't come into it. And, I wasn't going to ATH to 'enjoy my holiday' I was going home to work as were many other people on board. Tossers.

Back to the thread. It does seem they bounced first time with gear down and the second impact was with gear up. Reasons unknown

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Bounce once, retracted gear to do a go-around (despite drag being higher with gear in transit) but unable to GA (engine spool up time ? 50ºc ambient temperature ? wind ?) and hit the ground with gear up.

MoreAviation

#20 Post by MoreAviation » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Possible botched late go around attempt that could have been further compromised by wind shear coupled with a high density altitude day, hot and humid, leading to slower than expected engine response to TOGA. [Speculation Alert] Possible SOP non-conformance, brain fade, fatigue

The Emirates airliner that crash landed in Dubai tried to regain altitude in the last moments before it hit the ground, transponder data and air traffic control communications suggest.

The airline and investigators have not confirmed the findings, and aviation experts caution that much remains unknown about the cause of the crash.

But the data, if confirmed by the plane’s black boxes, indicate the crew of Flight No. EK521 was starting to go around for a second landing attempt when something went horribly wrong.

Transponder data from the Boeing 777-300 obtained by aviation website FlightRadar24.com show the descending plane came close to the ground at 12:37pm local time before altitude readings and the vertical speed suddenly increased, indicating the start of a go-around.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... c9d76d4a0c

MA