Emerates 777 gear uplanding at DXB

Sisemen

Re: Emerates 777 gear uplanding at DXB

#21 Post by Sisemen » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:10 am

the FO is a brand new low time newby (problem 2).

QANTAS pilot, on leave, and with 7000+ hours. Leave? and flying for Emirates? What’s the story there?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:38 am

So the Capt had only 6,000 hrs so probably new to command and the F/0 7,000 hrs. The Capt could have come from another fleet and Qantas I don't think has the 777. So what were their hours on type?

Then we have the CRM issue. The local God LHS who obviously can't be wrong and the down to earth, say it how it is, Aussie in the RHS. :-o

Sisemen, I think you will find that he was on long term unpaid leave I guess due to temporary crew reductions in Qantus.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by SOPS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:56 am

The FO has only been in EK around a year. Qantas do not operate the 777, so he was not highly experienced on type.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by SOPS » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:47 am

And I am amazed the wreckage was cleared up so quickly, I thought that it would form part of the investigation. It seems like EK is trying very hard to make this accident "unhappen'.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:24 pm

SOPS, there is going to be a lot a tea towel, fan belt and nightie wearing 'erberts back pedalling so fast there that they could win the Olympics cycling event in reverse. I just hope that Boeing and RR will insist that the truth comes out. Or will an order of another 500 aircraft help pour 'oil' over troubled waters?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#26 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 pm

It seems like EK is trying very hard to make this accident "unhappen'.

Accident?
It was an 'incident' according to them.
Loathsome scum that they are.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:36 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:I just hope that Boeing and RR will insist that the truth comes out. Or will an order of another 500 aircraft help pour 'oil' over troubled waters?

Think 500 aircraft order is unlikely given the significant drop off in the price of oil. Understand that many Gulf states and Saudi Arabia are struggling to pay for all their citizen welfare programs at present.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by SOPS » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 am

I think that in the next few days this whole accident will have never happened. The report will never see the light of day...let's wait and see if I'm wrong or not.

Capetonian

#29 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:01 am

Given that it was a US built aircraft, can it be swept under the carpet, as the manufacturers will surely push for disclosure since their reputation is at stake?
I would love to see ScummyRats in the sh1t.

MoreAviation

#30 Post by MoreAviation » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:17 am

One suspects that any inclination to 'gloss over' the crash (if such exists which I doubt) will not be possible in the sense that technology such as the one noted below and in use in this case means that a 3rd party has mediated the black box data which is already in the hands of the airline.... Emirates, whatever one's feelings about the Middle East and the way things can be done there, is a reputable airline with some very experienced pilots operating within the context of international regulations...

The terrified passengers on Emirates Flight 521 may have still been running across the runway after the Boeing 777 crash landed, while unseen critical information about what went wrong was already being sent to the airline.

A tiny transmitting device, small enough to fit in a hand, used a mobile data network to download off the plane all the information from the flight data recorder and then some, in a process that surely demonstrates the next new thing in air safety.

Nine minutes after the aircraft came to rest, all data was in the hand of the airline,” said Raul Segredo, president of Avionica, the company that provides the equipment to Emirates.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinene ... 659859457d

The quick removal of the crash debris was done in order to allow the airfield to return to normal operation and, yes, not to advertise the accident to all and sundry at what is one of the airline's home bases. This is no different to the way that BA Flight 38 was painted totally white after the crash at Heathrow in 2008 within hours of that accident.

MA

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#31 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:02 am

'Think 500 aircraft order is unlikely given the significant drop off in the price of oil. Understand that many Gulf states and Saudi Arabia are struggling to pay for all their citizen welfare programs at present'

I would love to see the Middle East go bust paticularly the Saudis. They would have to go back 100 yrs to their tents and camels. Which b@astard gave these peasants oil? (And, why here are they digging up diamonds just down the road but I never find one on our plot. Bet the gardeners are nicking them.)

I don't think the aircraft and engine manufacturers will allow a cover up.

If it is found to be pilot error and it was gear retraction before positive rate of climb, does the r.g h..d captain get his head chopped off or just his undercarriage?

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by SOPS » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:28 pm

There are reports on the other place that the FO and his family are under arrest. I sincerely hope this is BS.

Capetonian

#33 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm

I also hope it's BS but knowing that place it would distress, but not surprise, me.

If there are reports about this on TOP, they will be swiftly expunged, as one must say no evil about the foul regime.

If a non-Emirati woman gets raped by an Emirati, she's guilty, automatically, always, of adultery and/or sex outside marriage.

Here's another story about the way these stinking scumbags treat people:

The family of a 77-year-old South African doctor, .......... expressed fears for his health yesterday as a court in the United Arab Emirates ruled that a medical panel should investigate a decade-old case against him.

Cyril Karabus, a leading paediatric oncologist, has already spent two months in Abu Dhabi's Al Wathba prison, which is notorious for its human rights abuse, after being arrested in Dubai for the manslaughter of a three-year-old girl in 2002. He was tried and convicted in absentia 10 years ago, but claims to have had no knowledge of the charge against him.

Abu Dhabi Criminal Court assigned a medical committee yesterday to examine records of the case, which are reported to have gone missing, and set the doctor's bail at Dh100,000 (£17,000).
He claims that he treated the child, but she died anyway.

Close to tears, Dr Karabus' daughter Sarah, a paediatrician based in Cape Town, described the effect her father's detention is having on the family. "It's completely traumatic for all of us, utterly traumatic. He's an old man, he's unwell. He's a father of five and a grandfather of two, with another on the way who we just hope he will be back to meet."

Ms Karabus was with her father as he was pulled aside by police at the airport on 18 August as they were leaving the country after a 10-hour stop over in Dubai on their way back from a wedding in Canada.

"He had no idea what it was about," she said. She was forced to fly out of the country with the rest of family, as their visas were valid for only 24 hours, leaving her elderly father to face the charges alone. "He remembers the girl and he had talked about her before, but he had no idea there was a case against him."

Ms Karabus has said that her father – who worked at the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital in Cape Town for 35 years, where he set up the haematology and oncology unit – appeared "broken" at previous court appearances and has been unable to call his family from jail, though he has told his lawyer he is generally being treated well. After his bail is paid, he will be allowed to leave jail, though his passport has been confiscated and he will not be allowed to leave the country.

"He's a man of integrity; he's not someone who deserves this," Ms Karabus said. "He stayed and worked in the public health service all his life because he wanted to save lives, not make money."

Dr Karabus, who was given a three-and-a-half-year term in absentia, was accused of failing to give a transfusion to the girl at the required time, and of falsifying medical records to make it appear as though he had. He had left the country by the time the child died. The British Medical Association has joined other professional groups around the world to condemn the detention of the doctor.

"Karabus is an elderly man in a fragile state of health, who is being held in conditions designed to break him and to weaken his health further. He is also a doctor being held in prison over his medical practice, apparently because that practice did not lead to a 100 per cent success rate," it said in an open letter. "Doctors considering working in the UAE should be aware that the conclusion of this case may have implications for how they practise."

The medical panel have until 20 November to report their findings, and the family remain cautiously hopeful. "The system is very different to any system we are used to, but they have now found the medical file, and if the file is intact it will exonerate him," said Sarah Karabus.

"We are hopeful but don't expect anything any more. I'm scared to get my hopes up."

MoreAviation

#34 Post by MoreAviation » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Which, from an aviation point is *****.

Here we are dealing with pilot error.

MA

Slasher

#35 Post by Slasher » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:45 am

That is totally correct MA, as well as the EK Do Not Float policy in concert with the robotic procedure of doing a go around and not a wave off - two similar but different procedures.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 pm

1) Hard landing due wind sheer
2) Bounced
3) Crew selected GA not knowing thrust was disabled since aircraft "thought" it had landed after gear touched
4) Crew selected gear up, not knowing this would increase the drag
5) Aircraft landed again hard with gear (mostly) up

Total screw up in the man/machine interface area again.
Remedy: a big red button for GIVE ME FULL THRUST AND GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#37 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:50 pm

GIVE ME FULL THRUST AND GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

OFSO, as any pilot of my generation knows that means shoving those lever things in your right hand up towards the pointy end pronto. End of discussion. Most of the new generation of so called pilots (airline) are just system operators. This was proven in the SFO prang. My airline (Monarch) positively encouraged hands on visual approaches. Good practice and saved time and fuel. We all knew how to actually fly an aircraft.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:34 pm

3) Crew selected GA not knowing thrust was disabled since aircraft "thought" it had landed after gear touched

So a B-777 cannot do circuits and bumps?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:51 pm

^auto^ (but you knew that [-X )

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Most of the new generation of so called pilots (airline) are just system operators.

And most of the modern generation of car drivers. In my humble Mondeo I find myself wondering "why is it doing that" or more often "what will it do next".