Emerates 777 gear uplanding at DXB

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Emerates 777 gear uplanding at DXB

#61 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:13 am

All gone very quiet over there. Does anyone know if they have to push out an interim report 28 days after the prang?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm not sure they HAVE to do anything! Rumour has it the owners also control the CAA there.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#63 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Is there no International Aviation law on this one? There is still Boeing and RR wanting to protect their reputations. Can't they bring pressure?

Oh please let their oil disappear into the desert just like our water does here.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#64 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Dubai doesn't have oil. Its revenue is derived from slave labour, exploiting prostitution and the consumption of alcohol.

Double standards, anyone?

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:08 am

ian16th wrote:...pilots are almost brainwashed to totally rely on the automatics as being correct all the time.​

Right there is yer problem. Few of these steely eyed masters of the heavens in their sparkly hats can actually fly the aircraft any more.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 am

A Lutra Continua wrote:
ian16th wrote:...pilots are almost brainwashed to totally rely on the automatics as being correct all the time.​

Right there is yer problem. Few of these steely eyed masters of the heavens in their sparkly hats can actually fly the aircraft any more.

Does that mean there is still hope for those of us who can still remember how? :-bd
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 am

Unfortunately not in the eyes of the insurers, bean-counters and thus the eager-eyed managers.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#68 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:16 am

We are getting close to the one pilot and a dog. You all know the punch line. Sad but true.

'There I was upside down with nothing on the clock but the maker's name', forget it, they wouldn't know where to start.

And, here we have all our baby bush pilots with only hands on wanting to be airline pilots. They will not listen to me.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Two points.

It appears that I have been quoted, when I was in turn quoting! Just to clarify, I didn't make the quote, about a matter I am not qualified to speak on.

But I do think that this is worth reading.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#70 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:30 pm

It has all gone very quiet in the sandpit. 'What accident?' I hear them say.

Biggles is probably now a training Capt and his Aussie mate teaching CRM in ground school.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Loads of rubbish being sprouted on the thread 'over there'. It will be very interesting to discover whether or not sufficient power had been applied and if not, I'm sure Boeing will dissent from any other finding.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#72 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Boac, haven't looked at TOP. There are so many amateurs giving their idiot views. At least here folks say 'I am not qualified to say but, what do you think guys?' Far more civilised.

Capetonian

#73 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:32 pm

The rule of the road in the UAE is very simple.
If you're Emirati it's the other person's fault, automatically, always.
If both drivers are non-Emirati, then there's a pecking order :
White, Far Eastern, Indian sub-continent, black.
I imagine that albeit with some more rigid rules, the same applies in the event of an accident ............. sorry .......... incident .....involving air transport.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#74 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:50 pm

OK Cape, but are Boeing and RR going to accept this 'association of tea towel and fan belt wearers' attitude?

Capetonian

#75 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I hope not, I really would like to see EK and the authorities there dragged through the dirt.
I hope that they are not open to being 'bought' with the promises of fat orders and so on, or conversely by the threat of cancellations. I would like to think that both are above that level.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#76 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Cape, I did suggest this earlier in the thread. It wouldn't surprise me. Commerce is corrupt worldwide.

Sisemen

#77 Post by Sisemen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:30 am

Ex-Ascot wrote: Far more civilised.

Yes, it is. And that’s the reason that True Liberal hates us so much. :D

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 am

There you go - no-one noticed the thrust levers were still at idle during the attempted go-round until it was too late........Initial report. As has been observed, a go-round after touchdown requires manual throttle advancement.

A typical Dubai approach in terms of wind shifts - not easy, but not abnormal for experienced crews - and it will be veeerrryyy interesting to see who gets the 'blame' for this one. It will not be Emirates, of course. Bon chance, as they say in Calais.

The throttles were not advanced until 12 seconds after the lift-off (! - that is a loooonnnng time! - try counting it out) and the engines did not start to respond until 14 seconds after the lift-off, 1 second before the landing they walked away from. For those 12 seconds the ground spoilers would have been deployed.

Engine response seems ok to me - crew less so................. It looks, from the preliminary (to me), as if the outfit is going to try and shift the blame onto Boeing for 'insufficient guidance' on how to fly - ie you need thrust to go up?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#79 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 am

Boac. Thanks but that link doesn't work for me it is about inreasing broadband speed not airspeed. Tried to Google it but couldn't find it.

Anyway, no great suprise. I still don't understand the airmanship. I presume he hit TOGA. To do this you have your hand on the throttles and follow them through. When they didn't move why didn't he firewall them? TWELVE SECONDS, un-bloody-believable. They should have their licences shredded.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 am