Excellent crosswind landing.

stuart
Capt
Capt

Excellent crosswind landing.

#1 Post by stuart » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Impressive landing at Lulsgate 12th Oct during storm Callum, female captain apparently.

it's good to be bad.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Excellent crosswind landing.

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 pm

This landing has created a furore on the WhatsApp group that I belong to, made up of various pilots ranging from MS Sim monkeys through to tyros, PPL's, PPL & CPL instructors, 500 hour FO's to 10,000 hour plus Captains who have been or are based at my local airfield and opinions on the this landing are divided, with some claiming that this poor chap didn't straighten out soon enough. I am of the opinion that this is just gilding the proverbial lilly and that he made a bloody good fist of a difficult situation and this is why the big boys make the big money.

What does the jury here think?

Caco

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm

stuart wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm
female captain apparently.
. . . . .

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 pm

My first thoughts when I watched this, was, bet you couldn’t do it in an Airbus :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm
stuart wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm
female captain apparently.
. . . . .

Atrophied chauvinistic mind I have. Good to hear it! :)

I must have looked at Stuart's post without my spec's on.

A woman's touch.

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 pm
My first thoughts when I watched this, was, bet you couldn’t do it in an Airbus :ymdevil:

Let's ask Slasher! Bet he tells us you he could do it blind drunk on two bottles of Muslim Moonshine! B-)

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Told you :D

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 pm
Caco
While not in any way qualified to sit at the pointy end of something like that (so highly qualified to comment on it here) I think it was a damn good job. All the passengers presumably got to depart the aircraft at the gate, protected from the weather, and the aircraft is in a condition to be usable for future flights, so it ticks all the boxes.

Of course, had something gone badly wrong, no doubt there's all sorts of things that would have been thrown at the crew for even attempting a landing under those conditions. It's a bit like the Royal Navy before radio existed - if the captain on the spot followed orders and it was a success, then good. If he followed orders and failed then he clearly lacked initiative. If he disobeyed orders and was successful then he was a hero, and if he disobeyed orders and failed (regardless of whether those orders would also have resulted in failure) then he was crucified.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:35 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 pm
Caco
While not in any way qualified to sit at the pointy end of something like that (so highly qualified to comment on it here) I think it was a damn good job. All the passengers presumably got to depart the aircraft at the gate, protected from the weather, and the aircraft is in a condition to be usable for future flights, so it ticks all the boxes.

Of course, had something gone badly wrong, no doubt there's all sorts of things that would have been thrown at the crew for even attempting a landing under those conditions. It's a bit like the Royal Navy before radio existed - if the captain on the spot followed orders and it was a success, then good. If he followed orders and failed then he clearly lacked initiative. If he disobeyed orders and was successful then he was a hero, and if he disobeyed orders and failed (regardless of whether those orders would also have resulted in failure) then he was crucified.

I am with you there! :-bd

Never let blind prejudice, lack of relevant experience or, indeed any impediment at all, get in our way of prognosticating or opining any subject under the sun. How boring life would be if it wasn't thus. =))

Caco

fareastdriver
Snr FO
Snr FO

#10 Post by fareastdriver » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 pm

I've done a few crosswind landings during my plank wing days but up the front you are unaware of what it is like down the back. I was in the back row of a 747 on a difficult landing at Kai Tak and at the threshold there was a large amount of yaw inputted to straighten the aircraft up.

The effect on the passengers, having been moved sideways some twenty feet in a second or so, was panic. They were screaming and sobbing even after the aircraft was rolling along the runway.

I had to admit I was surprised and I thought I knew what was going on.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 pm

fareastdriver wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 pm
I've done a few crosswind landings during my plank wing days but up the front you are unaware of what it is like down the back. I was in the back row of a 747 on a difficult landing at Kai Tak and at the threshold there was a large amount of yaw inputted to straighten the aircraft up.

The effect on the passengers, having been moved sideways some twenty feet in a second or so, was panic. They were screaming and sobbing even after the aircraft was rolling along the runway.
This is why my preferred seating is no further back than level with the wingtips. I also prefer to avoid being aligned with any of the engine fan disks, just in case.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 am

Even in a little spam can, the effect of a crosswind landing can be confusing, if not frightening, for a passenger. Having been taught to land in such conditions using the crab technique as opposed to cross controlling, by a man who flew big iron commercially for BA (he was always wittering on about underslung engines and the like whatever you flew), I was used to landing looking out of the proverbial side window when landing in x-winds but then once on an approach in a full steady 25 knot x-wind, I was assailed with a chorus of you are pointing the wrong way from the people in the back that made me realise that a gentle explanation of what was going on might have been appropriate before I started!

Landing a tail dragger in a cross wind (as I am sure most here know) is another ball game all together.

Caco

Slasher

#13 Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:06 pm
Let's ask Slasher! Bet he tells us you he could do it blind drunk on two bottles of Muslim Moonshine! B-)
True, but at the moment quite sober...[hic!] :)

Xwind technique is the same. Main thing is not to overcontrol aileron and bring up the lift dumpers, which augment rate of roll demand, before touchdown.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 am

Initially I thought it hadn't been straightened up sufficiently with the runway direction before planting it, but then it didn't seem to follow what I thought was the runway precisely, so maybe it was just perspective ? Certainly there didn't seem to be much stress on the tyres by way of burnt rubber smoke, so maybe they were pointing in the right direction after all.

Wasn't there, don't know, seems they walked away from it so what's the problem ? Nice job.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Woody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Someone in a BEA Viscount showing how it’s done. Sumburgh, I think :D

reddo
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by reddo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm

It's difficult to give a final judgement simply because the camera can distort the perspective. However, from I've seen of that footage, she's done a bloody good job with apparent lack of fuss and over controling.
No cross winds are the same but all require an understanding of the machine and a firm, positive touch reacting to what's happening, not to some formulaic approach.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Agreed, I think it was very well done, especially the prompt, firm but smooth corrections to turbulence.