Fear of Flying

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Fear of Flying

#21 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:02 pm
llondel it was more excited I guess to climb out on the wheel of a C-172 and wait to get the signal to let go...
Get onto the wheel and the brake isn't on you are going to go anyway.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:35 pm

There were some oil platforms/rigs which had outside see-through metal steps leading down from the helideck to the accommodation areas. The helideck guardrails at the top of the steps were lowered for helicopter operations and having landed the helicopter I used to get laughed at because I had to go down on my hands and knees to get off the helideck and onto the first step. No way could I just step off.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:33 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:02 pm
llondel it was more excited I guess to climb out on the wheel of a C-172 and wait to get the signal to let go...
The other aircraft they used was like that, but it wasn't the one flying the day I did it. Might have been better to have let go facing forward, we were told to look up at the chute after opening but I couldn't until I'd unwound the lines because they were behind my head.