Another drunk passenger

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Another drunk passenger

#1 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Emergency landing at Salt Lake City due to an unruly passenger. Seems he objected when the cabin crew refused to serve more alcohol and then annoyed the police when they came to collect him.

Capetonian

Re: Another drunk passenger

#2 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Time to really control this. A first step would be no alcohol served in airport departure areas before midday local time. Then at least people would board more or less sober rather than half pissed. It is a pity that the majority, who drink responsibly, have to be deprived of their right to enjoy a drink because of the actions and stupidity of a small minority, but that is possibly better than having these people running amok on a civilian aircraft.

I have probably been fortunate in that in all the flying I've done in my lifetime I have only ever seen two or maybe three serious incidents of drunken behaviour.

Most recently was a threesome of little raghead scrotes on an EZY flight from AMS, although it was really only one who was threatening, the others were egging him on. He kept standing up and yelling abuse at the CC and when we landed the police came and carted them off - not too gently I am pleased to note.

Prior to that was on a transatlantic and there was drunk Norwegian chap who was being abusive and threatening the crew who wouldn't serve any more drinks. The cabin manager, who was a bit, let's say, dainty and light on his feet, went and confronted the guy, who said : "And what will you do to me .......?"

At this point the very big and very black black USAmerican fellow who was in the row in front unbuckled his seat belt, and stood up, or at least stood up as far as he could as he must have been 6' 6", with arms bigger than most people's legs, and told the Norwegian to STFU or "I'll deal with you." There was not a peep from Mr. Norway for the rest of the flight.

Many years ago I was on a LH flight from JNB and a drunk started getting stroppy about halfway to NBO. The captain came out and told him we'd be landing in NBO and he would go straight to prison. Again, not a peep!

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by G~Man » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:19 pm

I like this phrase:

"had to be assisted to the ground"
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:50 pm

SM in a former life was a #1 for a legendary charter airline (DA) and had more than her fair share. When one of the major customers was the now defunct club 18-30 it is inevitable.
She was/is just 5' and maybe 60kg wet.
She has many instances of radioing ahead to be met by the relevant force. Favourite was Spain where the Guardia are not gentle assisting to the ground.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:25 am

Never had a problem. The press used to get merrily pissed. A famous lady war correspondent had to be helped down the steps once.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

South African male passengers don't have to be pissed to get aggro on board. Last time I was on a Johannesburg to Cape Town Mango flight, as we were deplaning, two idiots decided to try and have a go at each other for some spurious reason and ignored the pretty young flight attendant's firm request that they desist until they had departed her aircraft. I inserted my bulk between the two aggressors and pointed out, with a smile on my face, that if they wanted to fight they would have to fight me first. The one guy laughed and calmed down and the other idiot continued to mouth off but didn't try anything as he could see the gleam in my eye.

Got a big smile and a thank you from the lady in uniform for that one.

Caco

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I see that fine, upstanding character who made a lot of money kicking a ball around a field has carried on that fine British tradition of being pi$$ed in public after flying into the US. Mind you, the 25USD fine is going to really cause him some hardship...I don't think.
It's always my fault - SWMBO