HELP! I’m stuck!

#1 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:53 am

Needs a bit more than a Tugmaster :))
Screenshot 2019-01-24 11.47.37.png

Slasher

Re: HELP! I’m stuck!

#2 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:16 am

> ...due to cold weather overnight <

Sise I thought it was Summer down there. Maybe the shire council can organise a pipeline to shove some Toodyay heat their way! 😂

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 am

I thought it was going to say that the heat had melted the tarmac and that they had sunk into it.

Queuing in a long line for take off out of JFK one night, with instructions to move up the taxyways in sequence, F/O handling, he complained that the aircraft wouldn't move as he advanced the throttles. Well, take the brakes off, I said. They are, he replied. Give us a go then. I applied an inordinate amount of thrust, to the extent that the tower told us not to conduct a run-up at that point, but the a/c wouldn't budge. I called for Company engineering assistance, and whilst waiting the F/Eng. went down through the lower 41 entrance ( B-707) and came back to say that we had sunk into the tarmac, and there was a chock-like wedge against the front of one of the left hand wheels.

Tower asked us to return to base for engineering assistance, and I replied that I would if I could, but I was stuck on a hole. There's no hole in our Real Estate, they said. Oh yes there is now, and I'm stuck in it. Engineering decided that they couldn't jack up our wheel, as the jack would just sink lower into the hole, and having smoothed off the wedge a little suggested that I try to drive the wheel out. I got permission to apply full power at that position, as ATC had by then directed other traffic around us, and asked ATC to request that the Port of Authority Police car that had appeared, now move away from the front of the aircraft. No answer from the car and it didn't move. Finally I applied full power on No. 1 eng. and we popped out like a champagne cork, but now hurtling rapidly towards the car, which suddenly decided that it was good idea to move !

Engineering then jacked up the a/c and examined the wheel, and pronounced no damage, good to go, which we did, not having used up much of our normal extra taxy fuel.

Later, the Fleet Chief Pilot showed me the JFK incident report, in which it stated that there was no hole in their runway, and that the Captain must have taxied off the side of the runway. He commented that the engineering report had rubbished that, that they knew precisely where I was in the middle of the taxiway, and there was evidence of a hole having been repaired ! Barstewards.

Sisemen

#4 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:16 am
> ...due to cold weather overnight <

Sise I thought it was Summer down there. Maybe the shire council can organise a pipeline to shove some Toodyay heat their way! 😂
It's all weird here at the moment. Tuesday 45, Wednesday 22, today 23, tomorrow 30. Go figure.

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am

Well mate you can't be in the 'yay...you're obviously in bloody Melbourne! :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am

No dramas when it happened to us, or at least dramas for us 👹

We were 4 Vulcan parked in a line in Khormaksar. With full fuel and full bomb loads we were at about 200k apiece and sat in the scorching heat for a week. When we departed we applied 'just' sufficient power to get out of the holes. 'Just' was sufficient to blow roof panels off the sheds behind us.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am
No dramas when it happened to us, or at least dramas for us 👹

We were 4 Vulcan parked in a line in Khormaksar. With full fuel and full bomb loads we were at about 200k apiece and sat in the scorching heat for a week. When we departed we applied 'just' sufficient power to get out of the holes. 'Just' was sufficient to blow roof panels off the sheds behind us.
Brilliant, would have loved to see that.

Can't walk out the back in fruit and veg garden on the sand today without shoes on. Just put the sensor in, 51 degrees.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 pm

E-A, my only time in Aden, mid-September and the first time my Lily-white had been exposed. Down at Tashnine (sic?) Beach Club you had to put your flip flops sole up if you took them off as they would get too hot to wear otherwise. I also remember hopping on someone else's wet foot prints as it was cooler than dry concrete.

We were on 5 hr standby so couldn't send clothing to the laundry. Instead the room boys would do it. Wash, starch, outside for 5 minutes, iron and back in no more than 30 minutes.

Sisemen

#9 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 pm

I was posted to Kormaksar and arrived on the Saturday evening of the Easter break in 67. Sunday and Monday were stand-down periods so I was dragged off to the beach by some mates that were already there. The result was virtually my entire skin area was sealed and I sweated copiously underneath. Eventually the full body blisters popped and I was able to gain a modicum of less painful normality. No chance of reporting sick - that was a chargeable offence!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm

One of the lucky ones, I spent 3 nights there, 1 night on the way east to Karachi and 2 nights on the way back.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 pm
E-A, my only time in Aden, mid-September and the first time my Lily-white had been exposed. Down at Tashnine (sic?) Beach Club you had to put your flip flops sole up if you took them off as they would get too hot to wear otherwise. I also remember hopping on someone else's wet foot prints as it was cooler than dry concrete.

We were on 5 hr standby so couldn't send clothing to the laundry. Instead the room boys would do it. Wash, starch, outside for 5 minutes, iron and back in no more than 30 minutes.
Yes, it is bad today. We never wear shoes at home. The grass is fine but the sand areas are impossible.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Yes, it is bad today. We never wear shoes at home. The grass is fine but the sand areas are impossible.
A navy officer once told me in an Island not too far from Amorgos, that ploughing a bit the sand and place the feet few centimetres below the surface can solve the problem in most cases. It works.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm
One of the lucky ones, I spent 3 nights there, 1 night on the way east to Karachi and 2 nights on the way back.
I'm luckier than you Ian. I didn't spend any time there.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm
ian16th wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm
I'm luckier than you Ian. I didn't spend any time there.
Aden had its uses!

During my transit I bought a 100mm lens for my Edixa and a transistor radio.

DUTY FREE :YMPARTY:
Cynicism improves with age