A bit late on the round-out, Hoskinski!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

A bit late on the round-out, Hoskinski!

#1 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Tu-22, 22 January, 'heavy' landing in 'heavy' snow.

Reported 3 dead and, amazingly, one injured!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: A bit late on the round-out, Hoskinski!

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Very poor visibility. Anybody willing to bet that there was no Cat III landing facility available at this airfield?

Amazing that anybody survived.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 am

Almost certainly below limits. Correct Caco : https://apxp.enif.uberspace.de/airport/ULMM/ Cat 1.

Also one questions the design of the aircraft the way it snapped in two instead of just bouncing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:03 am

I thought that too, other crashes usually start with an undercarriage collapse. It can of course then continue to reputure fuselage and fuel tanks.

This just looked like a failure of the transport joints with the nose dropping off.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:58 am

Watching again, the mains touched and then the nose crumpled. The nose wheel never touched the ground.

No wonder they grounded the fleet. I wonder if they have started flying again.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:59 am

Probably due to an excessive sink rate and too many bottles of Vodka up front?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 pm

There is something seriously wrong with the design of that aircraft. Me pilot not engineer but my opinion.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#8 Post by Slasher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Wouldn't do too well as carrier-based tin.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Just a different 'break point' to this well-aired video.

"Ladies and gentlemen - you may now leave via the rear exit."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am

The fire is puzzling. Looking at the accident the first ignition is in the cockpit area (oxygen?) followed by the rear end of the nose section.

One heck of a 'bounce' too. Not surprised something broke!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am

BOAC, maybe but what was the ignition source? It was almost as if the explosion caused the nose separation and not the impact.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen - you may now leave via the rear exit."
Interestingly enough that video was of a certification test landing! The pilot overcooked just a little bit.

Back on May 2, 1980, one of the MD-80 demonstrators was conducting a test sortie to evaluate landing distance. During one of the approaches, the pilot flew a steeper than normal approach, flared late, and touched down hard.
May 2, 1980, a McDonnell-Douglas, Inc., DC-9-80, N980DC, crashed while trying to land on runway 22 at Edwards Air Force Base, California.

The aircraft was on a certification test flight to determine the horizontal distance required to land and bring the aircraft to a full stop as required by 14 CFR 25.125 when the accident occurred.

The aircraft touched down about 2,298 feet beyond the runway threshold. The descent rate at touchdown exceeded the aircraft's structural limitations; the empennage separated from the aircraft and fell to the runway. The aircraft came to rest about 5,634 feet beyond the landing threshold of runway 22 and was damaged substantially. Seven crewmembers were on board; one crewmember, a flight test engineer, broke his left ankle when the aircraft touched down.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the pilot's failure to stabilize the approach as prescribed by the manufacturer's flight test procedures. Contributing to the cause of the accident was the lack of a requirement in the flight test procedures for other flight crewmembers to monitor and call out the critical flight parameters. Also contributing to this accident were the flight test procedures prescribed by the manufacturer for demonstrating the aircraft's landing performance which involved vertical descent rates approaching the design load limits of the aircraft.
https://www.fss.aero/accident-reports/l ... rt_key=169

They certainly put those aircraft through the mill! I wonder if the Soviet or Russian certification authorities were as strict.

A bit more interesting stiff here...

Caco

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:51 am

A bit more interesting stiff here...
- I bet you say that to all the girls.......... =))

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:51 am
A bit more interesting stiuff here...
- I bet you say that to all the girls.......... =))

Oops! =))

:ymblushing:

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am
BOAC, maybe but what was the ignition source? It was almost as if the explosion caused the nose separation and not the impact.
They were almost certainly all smoking.

Had a nav once who was smoking and knocked his oxygen mask, which was on his desk, to 100%. Didn't half bugger up his plotting. Every chart cinders. I was the F/O I don't think we reported it. Could have been very nasty.

He (Jim) was our senior nav. The boss was once doing a check flight (I was F/O) and asked for the after take of checks. Jim read them out followed by the climb checks which we normally did. Boss said I only asked for the after take off checks in future only give me what I ask for. On the approach he asked for the drift. Jim said 'five'. =))

Afterwards the boss said to me that he had probably made a mistake chastising him.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am
They were almost certainly all smoking.

Had a nav once who was smoking and knocked his oxygen mask, which was on his desk, to 100%. Didn't half bugger up his plotting. Every chart cinders. I was the F/O I don't think we reported it. Could have been very nasty.
Smoking with bottled oxygen flowing! Mad, mad I tell you, mad! @-) ;)))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 pm

I know Caco but we are talking a very set in his ways Sqn Ldr approaching retirement. Bloody good nav when he wasn't trying to blow us up. He never traveled with an overnight bag. Always had everything he needed in his large raincoat pockets.

Used to fly with a Capt who smoked a pipe which was always illegal as you couldn't put it out in an emergency. We were IMC on the flight deck. I would go down the back.

Non smoking on aircraft is one of the greatest developments in aviation safety. On the VC10 we implemented it in the Gulf War as it buggered up the gas detectors. After the war we conveniently forgot to rescind it. I was once shoved on an aircraft at the last minute and ended up between two squaddies smoking. Fortunately we had to turn back and I refused to get back on in that seat. Went to see the quack and got his support.

A certain late HRH always had to have a packet of fags on her table on boarding.

Sisemen

#18 Post by Sisemen » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:45 pm

When I was at Brize I once had a look-round a VC10 that was in Base Hangar undergoing deep servicing. All the interior had been removed and the internal skin of the aircraft was a streaky brown getting darker towards the top. It was explain that that was nicotine staining which had to be cleaned off.

On another occasion I was flying supernumerary Brize-Kai Tak and prior to the Akrotiri-Gan leg and doing the walk round with the flight engineer. The pax consisted of 137 Chinese merchant seamen off the Fleet Auxiliaries. A 10 foot brown streak down the fuselage was pointed out to me and I was asked to guess what it was. Turned out it was the outlet for the cabin pressurisation/conditioning and the streak was nicotine from the Brize-Air leg !

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm

As many as 51 people lost their lives when the aircraft crashed immediately after landing.
The post-mortem of the deceased, performed in the Department of Forensic Medicine in Kathmandu, found “blunt force injury head” to be the reason for the death of the passengers.
With 51 passengers dying from blunt trauma, I presume that they were standing up collecting their bags when the aircraft 'crashed'?