Freighter crash, Houston

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Freighter crash, Houston

#61 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 am

I have always been fascinated by Air Accident Investigation.
Me too. Being a Station Flight Safety Officer was very interesting. My first day on the job I had to reopen a Hurricane Cat 5 investigation, we had the Lockerbie jet in the Farnborough hanger on our course (yes, the course came after I'd started the job), I ran a Cat 3 (almost a Cat 5) investigation on base, including doing the audio transcript, plus one got accident reports from all over the globe. Add to that everything one tried to reduce the accident risk without affecting operations; publicity, training, reviewing publications, inspections, etc. I produced a monthly simulator incidents newsletter to try to pick out common errors on sim rides which were applicable to the jet (the artificialities of the sim meant not all were). This got adopted fleet-wide.

Plus, I kept flying!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:54 am

Slasher wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 am

Prang investigators sah aren't given a mutimillion dollar aeroplane filled with booze and chicks and sent outa town!
They maybe only in bit form 😥

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#63 Post by Flintstone » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:05 am
Access denied Ex

Here too.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Y'all need a proxy switcher!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by llondel » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 am
Copied Capt and PN. Hopefully we will get something from the CVR this week. This is an interesting one. I have always been fascinated by Air Accident Investigation. I really should have gone into it instead of the airlines but they don't give you four gold bars to pose around an airport in and a dozen girlies to cater for your every whim. Suppose it could have been written into the contract. :-?
Likewise, I ended up fascinated by the investigation side of things and how they figured it all out. In my case it was sparked by a trip to LAX on G-VSKY back in 1997. It had to land back at LHR on less than the regulation number of wheels right when I was having breakfast in the hotel. I read the accident report when it came out, given that it's the closest I've been to experiencing an aviation incident, and then went and read a bunch more because I was hooked.

Slasher

#66 Post by Slasher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 am

I got interested in prang investigations after I learnt to fly so I could learn from others screwups and not end up as an investigation myself.

BTW after looking at the evidence again I tend to agree with Ex-A's theory of sudden cargo load shift.

Sisemen

#67 Post by Sisemen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 am

Chaired the Flight Safety Committee at Benson once and got many plaudits from the attendees for keeping it to under half an hour whereas they usually sucked up 2 hours plus of waffle.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am

Second box recovered

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 am

Sisemen wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 am
Chaired the Flight Safety Committee at Benson once and got many plaudits from the attendees for keeping it to under half an hour whereas they usually sucked up 2 hours plus of waffle.
Did you write the meeting up in advance?

At our club we had a retired writer (RN), with 20-30 chipping in the write up could have been like Hansard. Instead it said exactly what he wanted it to say 😀

Sisemen

#70 Post by Sisemen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:37 pm

No. As OC A stood in for the Staish who was inclined to let things drift along. The first shock for the attendees was that we started on time! Most of the service guys were OK but the civvy met guys etc missed a heap. :D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Mess committee meetings at Cranditz would drag on for 2 1/2 hours with OC Admin as PMC, WHICH WAS HALF AN HOUR INTO DRINKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OC Eng took over and started his first meeting with "This meeting will last one hour maximum; we are all busy men."
I was taught in my Command Headquarters attachment that meeting minutes "should record the lies that were actually told, not the lies that people wished had been told". This later caused problems during my Flight Safety stint, when the execs insisted on draft copies of the minutes, and expected to be able to change them to what they wished they'd said.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Fox, in my experience Mess meetings were always very quick until it came to money. Extra messing up by a penny, no problem for the marrieds. Ents, 2d, fierce arguments. Beer . . . riots in the aisles.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#73 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 pm

We had weekly Sqn meetings. The three flight commanders and the boss took turns at chairing them. Mine were the shortest by far. I hate meetings.

The worst were parish council meetings in our village. What a load of ***** the stupid old geriatric b@stards came up with. i just wanted to stand up and tell them all what I thought of them. I now occasionally go onto the parish newsletter site. 20 years on the same stupid old buggers are still there arguing about the same stupid points. Egotistical self opinionated, self important bunch of w@ankers. Glad we don't live there anymore. Was that a thread drift?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#74 Post by Capetonian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm

I hated meetings at work so much that I used to stand up and tell them all what I thought of them
Eventually, I no longer got invited to meetings due to my unpleasant and negative attitude.
Further down the road, to my immense satisfaction and that of my finances, I got fired!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm

My last 'boss' brown job Col Bob shall we say, had quarterly meetings that involved several of us in journey up to 100 miles. "Don't bring me problems bring me solutions."

Three out us had been transferred from light blue where we had one meeting a year.when we got there the larger number of brown jobs would then go into excruciating detail both no problems and problems. We usually went last and all said nothing to report.

Then the Col decided he would do a personal H&S audit at each of our bases, mine first. Only one thing to do. I wrote his report and handed it over. Tick box exercise. My nearest colleague was with us and he asked her to do the same.

Brown will never understand blue 😀

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm

The Dragon capsule is open and has been visited by the ISS crew.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:30 pm

How did we end up with a Journey in to Space?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I think Mission Control is still in Houston?

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#79 Post by Flintstone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 pm
We had weekly Sqn meetings. The three flight commanders and the boss took turns at chairing them. Mine were the shortest by far. I hate meetings.

The worst were parish council meetings in our village. What a load of ***** the stupid old geriatric b@stards came up with. i just wanted to stand up and tell them all what I thought of them. I now occasionally go onto the parish newsletter site. 20 years on the same stupid old buggers are still there arguing about the same stupid points. Egotistical self opinionated, self important bunch of w@ankers. Glad we don't live there anymore. Was that a thread drift?

To paraphrase Billy Connolly, the very desire to serve on a committee should preclude that person from ever being allowed to do so. Likewise anyone wanting to wear hi-viz and carry a clipboard.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 am

Resistance0608_192.jpg
Resistance0608_192.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 692 times