ET crash ADD NBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: ET crash ADD NBO

#761 Post by OFSO » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 pm

So I have to scroll through the list and count them myself. Do you think I've nothing better to do, like making the wife a cup of tea, stroking the neighbour's cat or picking my nose... (Not all at the same time, of course). I wanted to know how many, where they are is irreverend (?) to me, unless my living room is involved. Non reverend ? Ill relevent ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#762 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm

365!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#763 Post by OFSO » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 pm

If that figure of two months preparation per aircraft is correct (and that seems a long time time) that's 730 months in total. No idea how many people involved. Would Boeing do it or hire sub-contractors (here we go again) or hire and train students, or...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#764 Post by barkingmad » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:47 am

UPs posting # 758 NYT article has over 400 comments on the topic.

I don’t normally forage that far but they’re worth a look for others (like me) who just read the article then move on.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#765 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 am

They are!
Thanks for the heads up.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#766 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Icelandair is going to ferry its 737MAX's to, ironically, Toulouse for winter storage, so they aren't expecting them back airworthy soon. They have to ferry with some flap down and not over urban areas
https://www.icelandreview.com/news/boei ... -measures/

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#767 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Southwest Airlines pilots union has filed suit in Dallas for $100 million for loss of earnings, alleging Boeing misreprented the 737Max as the same 737 they had flown for years. "This assertion was false".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#768 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Methinks this is Boeing blood in the water. I maintain my original opinion, which is that there's no chance the MAX will be back airborne till next year at the earliest, and this could drive Boeing under. And I think it should.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#769 Post by Boac » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Other airlines to follow. To add to the joy for Boeing, EASA have said the fix for MCAS is not good enough.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#770 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm

On the 11th of March, the day the Boeing/FAA axis formally issued a declaration that the Max was safe despite the second crash, I instructed my NY broker to sell a third of my 150 shares in Boeing as soon as the price reaches $400; and sell half of the rest at $410; and the remainder at $420.

I still have all of my shares. :(

Every month, usually on the last Friday which I presume is some kind of deadline for commissions/bonuses or (perhaps some kind of jewish holiday), I get a call from them asking if I want to take a short position on 150 Boeing shares! I tell 'em to get out there and sell as many short positions as they can because I know that there will be a counterparty somewhere who be be bidding up the price of my shares to fulfill the shorts.

I want to get out of Boeing because I now regard them as a toxic brand, like all tobacco companies and most arms companies, which knowingly kills some of its customers to make a profit.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#771 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:14 pm
this could drive Boeing under.
Was on Flightradar24 a few days ago, monitoring a neighbours relatives flight from Manila to Sydney. Traffic in the Singapore/Seoul corridor was phenomenal. Irrespective of whatever happens to the 737Max, demand for Boeings products will never diminish. Airbus cannot cope alone.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#772 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 am

Difficult to sell aircraft abroad that you can't sell at home.

Slasher

#773 Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm
I still have all of my shares. :(
Plum you might reach 400-420 but that’s unknown. Risk is always part of the stock market. If Boeing’s 20 million buck venture with Virgin Galactic goes well it may nudge 400. Maybe.

Ever since the first MAX prang I’ve been closely following Boeing for a drop which will give a buying opportunity. It’s pointless only purchasing a handful of shares so I set my sights on $280 or lower. That means if it recovers to say $400 I’ll take a meaningful profit that’ll be worth the hands-on bother.

But so far I know that just won’t happen - because I look closely at volume. That’s the key laddie. Compare Boeing trading volume to say that of GE’s and you’ll see what I mean.

Here is today’s 5 year profile. I’m sure you’re aware of it anyway:

3447078D-01FD-4798-8E2A-CAD475B9B4BA.jpeg
The trade volume just hasn’t been there since the first 737 went in. Sudden high volumetric trade is an important indicator I’ve always used to swoop in on a certain stock low (or a sell if high). That has not occurred with Boeing and so I haven’t touched it.

As for the Boeing Co itself I don’t think it’ll go under even if the lawsuits are successful. It’s far more diversified and capitalised than what it was when the first 747 rolled out:

0A81B359-BE75-47E1-BE27-FD19F10041FE.jpeg
I dunno what you paid for Boeing stock, but 150 shares I think is worthwhile holding onto and short between 400-420 if you want out. Be careful of possible taxation on your gains. Whether you consider the company toxic or immoral mate is irrelevant. You have to look at it pragmatically as you’re talking about your hip pocket nerve here.

I’m just offering an opinion if I was in the same boat. I’m certainly not telling what you should do.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#774 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 am

Meanwhile in the USA, South Western's Union is suing Boeing for $100 million.
In a move sure to cause tension between Boeing and arguably its best customer in the U.S., the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association filed suit against the planemaker today, alleging that Boeing misled the union when it claimed the 737 MAX flew just like its predecessor aircraft. Southwest flies a fleet made up exclusively of Boeing 737 aircraft. The suit is asking for $100 million in compensation for its pilots’ lost wages...

"...According to the suit, “Boeing is liable to SWAPA for the damages it and its pilots have sustained, and continue to sustain, as the result of: Boeing’s false representations concerning the 737 MAX aircraft; Boeing’s interference in SWAPA’s contract and business relationship with Southwest that led to SWAPA agreeing to include the 737 MAX aircraft as a term of the CBA and to operate the aircraft; and Boeing’s negligence in self-certifying an aircraft that Boeing knew would be subject to a grounding order if the truth were discovered because it did not meet—and, to this day, does not meet—federal airworthiness requirements.”
South Western Pilots Association Sues Boeing
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#775 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

Interesting points, Slasher, but I don't need the money that will be released by the sale of those shares so I'm happy to sit tight.

I bought them in early 2002 when they were around $43.

The reason why I'm so confident that the price will go back above $400 is that they are core members of the corporatocracy which owns the USG. They will always be protected from competition. They are also a major arms manufacturer in a war-based Imperial economy. War is normality for the greatest Empire the world has ever seen so there will always be an unlimited money-flow to Boeing.

Right now the Gulf region is looking astonishingly similar to Europe in 1913. Boeing thrives on war and there are several players there who have trillions to spend on weapons.

If the present movement of the non-aligned countries away from the godalmighty dollar goes much further the Empire will deliberately start a war out there to boost Boeing's profits. If A320x airliners start to erode Boeing's market share in the 737MAX sector, the USG will do the Imperial economic warfare thing against Toulouse.

The price will bounce back in due course. I'm in no hurry.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#776 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

Right now the Gulf region is looking astonishingly similar to Europe in 1913. Boeing thrives on war and there are several players there who have trillions to spend on weapons.

The price will bounce back in due course. I'm in no hurry.
We disagree on the first you can spend more avoiding a was rather than during a war and in the peace after the war.

We agree on the second paragraph.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#777 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm

American Airlines has scrubbed the 737MAX from its schedules for the rest of this year. Jan 16th, 2020 is the earliest return to service date
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethi ... SKBN1WO1FX

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#778 Post by barkingmad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Oh Dear ! ! ! The criticism of FAA & Boeing even makes it to BBC Radio4 news tonight. Things must be bad over on/near the west coast. Oh how the mighty are fallen ! ! ! :(

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#779 Post by boing » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 pm

BM
I would say how the management and beancounters have fallen but they have taken the mighty designers and other employees with them. Boeing was a "get-your-hands dirty and build the best" company until those people got into control. BA is a pretty good parallel, best in the World to LOCO in a couple of management generations.

Because of the vagaries of seniority and lay-offs I flew the 727, both 747s, the 757 and the 767. There was nothing significantly wrong with any of them. My guess is that management got too involved in countering Airbus at the expense of running the business and turning out the top quality product that customers expected from them.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#780 Post by barkingmad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 pm

boing. You’ve nailed the problem exactly.

Pipsqueaks with MBAs and beancounters overriding “them as what knows about the product” and how it is used is the normal recipe for disaster.

As for BA management, maybe they all went to skule with the same crew and were imbued with the same brainwashing.

My error in talking about the “mighty” snd not excluding the metal benders!