BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

BBC News

Well the paperwork said Edinburgh so the pilots went there......but the pax thought they were going to Dusseldorf =))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:46 pm

What a bunch of Wallies!

Didn't the BA Traffic people in Embra wonder what the departure message from LCY was being sent to them for? Didn't they query what return load they were expected to produce?

What about their counterparts in Dusseldorf? Didn't they have a wee keek at FR24 and wonder why their expected 146 was trogging off up Amber One and White Nine?

What about the red cap at LCY? Didn't he wonder why the load sheet said EDI?

How long will it be before sumbdy blames it on Brexit?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:55 pm

I wonder if the pilots were in the correct aircraft?
I assume that the boarding cards were showing Dusseldorf . . .

Most of our local buses now announce where the bus is headed - though I did correctly challenge one driver last week that had the destination showing the wrong way - there is one-way traffic system through our village and buses can be heading in either direction as they loop around.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Excuse me but what happened to the Captain's initial welcome. 'Welcome aboard flight BA1234 to Edinburgh.' My father and brother were flying to Dublin when the Captain said welcome aboard your flight to Berlin. They stuck their mits up. They had the right boarding cards but were on the wrong flight.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:47 pm

A lot of years back since I flew B.A. but their welcome announcement did include the destination and on one occasion a correction they said Manchester, we were going to Newcastle, they re-announced Newcastle and "it has been a long day"

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:00 pm

It appears it was a WDL flight on a BA route. Plan the flight, fly the plan; they did 😇

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Reminds me of the Captain in DanAir on a Geneva flight on 1 April who did the "Welcome on board your flight to Vienna".

C/crew called to say passengers were quite 'agitated' and thought they were going to Geneva. "Ok, he said, I gather there is some confusion over where we are going - all those who want to go the Vienna press your call bell". Silence. "All those who want to go to Geneva press your call bell"....... "OK, we'll go to Geneva" :))

I don't think you would get away with that in this PC age.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Stoneboat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 am

<<Captain Roger Victor
Yesterday at 8:17 PM ·

Speedtape Airlines Press Release
Monday, March 25th, 2019.

Earlier today an aircraft operated by Speedtape Airlines on behalf of UK Airways made a minuscule navigational error resulting in them landing in Edinburgh, Scotland instead of their originally intended destination of Dusseldorf, Germany.

We here at Speedtape Airlines take arriving at our predetermined destinations very seriously and we are proud to boast a 90% success rate in that aspect. That's near industry average!

Today's occurrence is most unfortunate. We conducted a thorough questioning of the two pilots and raccoon involved. It would seem that the error originated in a simple typo that our dispatcher, Louie made while prepping the paperwork and in a flight crew who noticed the error but after several months of abuse at the hands of said raccoon dispatcher, just simply had no more **** to give.

We have given the dispatcher a stern look and made him pinky paw swear not to do it again. In regards to the pilots, we have bought them both a pint of Deuchars to congratulate them on achieving Speedtape Airlines Fifth Stripe Legendary Pilot status for their fine display of "Don't Give A ****". To be honest, I am impressed.

All passengers have been re-booked on the next Speedtape Airlines flight from London to Dusseldorf that departs tomorrow morning. How they get back to London is anybody's guess and no problem of mine.>>

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:36 am

Ryanair tried to poke fun at them on Twitter and it backfired bigtime.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 am

Any landing that you walk away from...........
Cynicism improves with age