Several US airlines grounded

fin
Capt
Capt
Several US airlines grounded

#1 Post by fin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:32 pm

SO, it seems the Skygods can't do a weight & balance with their ipads then

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 329537002/
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Several US airlines grounded

#2 Post by barkingmad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

As I spent the last 10 years of my 'frame driving career in the independents' world it was quite usual to ask for a load form for the alleged distribution of bods & bags and then to crack on with a manual version to avoid/mitigate the delay when the inevitable HAL outage occurred in hot 'n smelly airports (some of them EU countries!)

Hence the Skygods inability to monitor descent profiles and to fly a visual circuit and do all the funny things we were asked to do as "Professional Pilots".

The list of dying aviation arts & crafts gets longer by the year. :(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Having entered BA from a real airline I was dumbstruck to find that there was no provision anywhere in the operation for crews to flight plan without the centrally prepared computerised plan, so that when the cleaning lady knocked the plug out of the wall on the planning computer we had to sit and wait with pax on board while it was sorted out (and off-load the pax eventually) rather than looking at the still air plan and adjusting for forecast winds. Same for load sheets, as Barking said.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by boing » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:20 am

Nobody I know did an accurate fuel planning check but the old guys insisted on a wag, simple normal fuel burn times hours to fly calculation and added corrections from there.

Comes the day I was planned to fly a 747 substituted for a 777 from US to London. Something was not right with the fuel, I eventually found what it was. The header on the flight plan said 747 complete with the A/C registration number, the fuel was planned for the 777. Who would have guessed that the fuel planning computer was not loaded with the A/C type for fuel planning? No, someone entered the A/C type and registration for the header section and the dispatcher selected the A/C type for fuel planning and never the twain did meet.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.