Sukhoi Superjet in flames in Sheremetyevo

Capetonian

Re: Sukhoi Superjet in flames in Sheremetyevo

#41 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advi ... ir-safety/

The safety of the Sukhoi Superjet 100 has been called into question following last week’s crash landing in Moscow which killed 41 of the 78 people on board.

A Superjet 100, operated by Aeroflot, burst into flames at Sheremetyevo International Airport during an emergency landing. It had taken off from the same airport just minutes before, with reports suggesting lightning struck the aircraft during its ascent.

More than 50,000 have now signed a petition calling for the model to be grounded while an investigation into the crash takes place, but Russia’s transport minister, who heads the commission in charge of the inquiry, said for now he didn’t see any reason to do so.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am

This is a total mish mash of Fake News and Misinformation i.e. talk of lightning strike causing aircraft to return on fire ? Is fire visible on the video we have available, doesn't seem to be to me until just before the final "touchdown" but maybe I'm not looking in the right place ? Talk of lightning strike killing all Comms. - so how did the pilot advise that he was returning ? Did a lighting strike kill all the digital / data / electronic instrument presentations ( and any electrical locking of overhead lockers, if such a device is ever contemplated ? ) and leave the pilot to return to land overweight for the first time in his experience, with only basic standby, clockface type instruments that might have been totally alien to him, or maybe he was looking at an Instagram photo of his young child's latest Lego creation sent to him on his Smartphone, at the same time ?

I guess I'm just missing something, and why don't we all wait until Putin releases the data from the voice and data recorders - if he will ?

Sorry to be flippant in face of a real tragedy, but I'm getting a bit bored by it all now.

Meanwhile, here is a REAL lightning strike event, sadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_214

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by llondel » Wed May 08, 2019 1:52 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 pm
UP respect for the addition of the new group - it present some interesting issues.

F3WMB and G-CPTN , I thought that a basic control before opening an aircraft door is to make sure there is no fire outside.
Or water, thinking of the Hudson landing.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 am

llondel, you are right. I should have used the words obstacles / hazards.

Capetonian

#45 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 08, 2019 2:58 pm

http://www.traveller.com.au/aeroflot-cr ... 02-00--UTC

Aeroflot crash: Sukhoi Superjet 100 should be grounded after safety failures

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by 4mastacker » Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm
Evacuation in a situation like this is usually in the wrong order for saving lives. I met a cadet officer (civilian teacher) on a Summer Camp who had been on the coach crash near Wittering about 15 years ago. The coach broke down, pulled onto the hard shoulder, and was then rear-ended by an 18 wheeler two minutes later. They were debussing front seats first and about halfway done. One cadet at the back died, and one was still in hospital 5 years later (likely forever). ....................
Thread drift. A lorry (left-hand drive) had pulled out of the Shell filling station station at Thornaugh causing the bus to swerve into the outside lane; the bus clipped the lorry as the driver tried to avoid a collision. The bus driver, as you say, pulled over onto the hard shoulder and was starting to de-plane the passengers when a lorry belonging to Rathbones Bakery struck the rear of the coach. The bus driver was subsequently prosecuted for causing death by dangerous driving and sentenced to twelve months imprisonment and banned for two years. The sentence was greeted with disbelief as the basis for the prosecution was that the bus driver should have carried on a further half mile along the A1 to a lay-by where she could have safely stopped - ( the question was asked "Isn't that leaving the scene of an accident?"). MOD strongly supported the driver all through the proceedings and on release, she was given her job back but confined to camp area only driving until her ban expired. A truly dreadful night for a group of very distressed cadets. The was a very sombre mood on the station for several days afterwards.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you for the full details!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 am

In addition to PanAm 214 there has been a total loss of an Iranian military Classic 747 stuck by lightning where the wing upper surface separated following the resultant fuel-air explosion.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am

That Iranian 747 was one of a pair of sisterships, with consecutive serial numbers, which were sold to the Imperial Iranian Air Force by TWA. The other one was sent back to TWA with a demand for a full refund. That other one also suffered a fuel tank explosion off the coast of Long Island as Flight 800.

The Report on the Iranian one was a whitewash by Boeing who did not want to admit that the Fuel Quantity Indication System's Kapton wiring was prone to cracking of the insulation and could produce a spark of sufficent energy to trigger a deflagration of the fumes in a fuel tank. They used some totally garbage eyewitness "evidence" to cover up the FQIS being responsible for the 'explosion'. The CVR clearly recorded one of the crew saying "we are in the soup", ie full IMC at the time of an electrical transient and therefore could not possibly have been seen by anyone on the ground at the time of the electrical spark in the FQIS wiring within a fuel tank. Sure, there had been a lightning strike on the airframe at some time in the recent past, but not on that flight.

For Boeing, the name of the game was to avoid a loss of public confidence in the 747 so they 'bigged up' the lightning story. Sadly, this led directly to the loss of TWA800 many years later. It too suffered a fuel fumes deflagration, but in the centre wing tank, not the No1 tank as happened to her sister. No lightning strike there either.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by probes » Thu May 16, 2019 11:42 am

OK, DWail, but they must have got such detailed information form somewhere:
Horrifying new video shows Aeroflot jet bouncing along runway at the hands of pilots who 'couldn't land without autopilot' after lightning strike disabled electronics - before bursting into fireball killing 41

"The crash investigation is leaning towards 'pilot error' over the landing and leading Moscow experts now say an 'over-dependence on autopilot' on commercial flights is an issue that should be addressed by all major airlines."

The "'Air traffic control did help us, they guided us to the runway. The speed was not high, but normal for landing.
'Everything was according to the book. We gently approached the ground, slowing down."
(by the Captain) does not sound convincing, though, when you have seen the new footage of the landing (in the article).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks, Probes - this video is much clearer.
The crash occurs on the 4th touchdown, and looks like a classic PIO such as one might get from a student in basic training. I stand by my hypothesis in post #28.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by AtomKraft » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Fox.
I looked back at your #28 before posting, and I think you are right.

I'd just add, all this 'auto this, auto that' is great for normal ops.

If it all goes offline, me no care.

Others will be fugged.....

edit to add, maybe me fugged also......

Capetonian

Re: Sukhoi Superjehttps://ops-normal.org/search.php?&sr=topics&search_id=newposts&start=25t in flames in Sheremetyevo

#53 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:55 am

Russian investigators have disclosed that the Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a fatal accident at Moscow Sheremetyevo was 1.6t over its maximum landing weight, and experienced two impacts in excess of 5g as it bounced on landing.

The Interstate Aviation Committee says it has completed an initial analysis of information from the flight-data recorder retrieved from the Aeroflot jet after the 5 May event.

Investigators have revealed that the crew received windshear warnings on approach and that the aircraft experienced pitch fluctuations just before the fatal touchdown.

Federal air transport regulator Rosaviatsia, in a detailed outline of the flight, states that the aircraft suffered an electrical failure at 8,900ft – about 5min after take-off from runway 24C – while following the KN 24E standard departure pattern for a service to Murmansk.

The aircraft’s autopilot disengaged and the aircraft’s flight control system dropped into direct law.

Rosaviatsia does not specifically state that the aircraft was struck by lightning, but it does point out that the aircraft was flying within a “zone of thunderstorm activity”.

The flight recorder registered disengagement of the autothrottle, and Rosaviatsia says the captain manually controlled the aircraft for the remainder of the flight.

Unable to communicate on the approach frequency, the crew restored VHF radio links using the emergency frequency 121.5MHz, and was vectored back to Sheremetyevo while transmitting the squawk code ’7600’ for loss of communication.

The aircraft conducted an ILS approach, in manual mode, to runway 24L.

Rosaviatsia says the aircraft had departed with a take-off weight of just over 43.5t and that its weight upon entry to the glideslope was 42.6t – which, it says, exceeded the maximum landing weight by 1.6t.

As required for the overweight landing, and the direct-law control, the flaps were set to 25°. The crew also upgraded the squawk code to the emergency setting ‘7700’.

The aircraft remained largely stable on the approach – performed in a crosswind from the left of up to 30kt – with an airspeed of 155-160kt.

As the Superjet descended through 1,100-900ft above ground, the crew received five predictive windshear “go around” warnings.

The aircraft began to dip below the glideslope at about 260ft and, at 180ft, a glideslope alert sounded.

Thrust was subsequently increased, with the throttle levers alternately advanced and retarded between 18° and 24° as the aircraft descended to 40ft. This resulted in the airspeed increasing to 164kt as it crossed the threshold and 170kt at 16ft from touchdown.

As the captain retarded the throttle to idle, says Rosaviatsia, he made several alternating inputs to the side-stick with “large amplitudes” – up to the maximum – which resulted in the pitch varying between 6° nose-up and 2° nose-down.

While the aircraft had appeared close to touchdown at about 700m from the threshold, Rosaviatsia says the first three-point contact with the runway occurred at 900m from the threshold at 158kt, when the aircraft experienced an impact of more than 2.5g, and bounced to about 6ft.

Rosaviatsia says the aircraft’s spoilers did not deploy automatically. Aeroflot stresses that its procedures do not require the manual deployment of spoilers until thrust-reverse is activated and the aircraft is settled and stable on the runway.

“In the absence of a stable course the release of the spoilers was impossible,” the carrier adds.

Having bounced, the aircraft touched down 2s later on its nose-gear at 155kt, with a heavy impact of 5.85g, causing the Superjet to bounce a second time, to a height of 18ft. The third, and final, impact occurred at 140kt – reaching at least 5g – and was immediately followed by damage to the aircraft’s structure, a fuel spill and fire.

As the aircraft decelerated through 100kt, sliding along the runway, a fire alarm was triggered in the aft baggage and cargo compartment, followed by a fire alarm in the auxiliary power unit 16s later. The aircraft’s PowerJet SaM146 engines continued operating until the end of the flight-data recorder trace just after 18:31.

Rosaviatsia says the captain had logged 1,570h on type out of a total of 6,844h while the first officer had 623h on type.

The aircraft (RA-89098) had accumulated 2,710h over the course of 1,658 cycles.

Rosaviatsia says the fatalities comprised 40 of the 73 passengers and one of the five crew members, while six passengers and three crew were injured.

Aeroflot stresses that the preliminary information disclosed by Rosaviatsia does not reference errors by the crew or any violation of procedures, and that final conclusions have yet to be released by the investigating authorities.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:33 am

Just found this report in the Daily Mail; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... today.html

Looks like the pilot is being used as a scapegoat.........
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 am

Two things.
1. In these former CIS Countries, if you screw up you can expect to be punished, and severely. It's not the UK. Air traffickers face the same punitive possibilities and can expect jail time if even a minor and accidental boo-boo causes death.

2. I've never flown the Su, but I recently (in the sim) had to land an Embraer-which has a FBW tail in direct mode.
Well, I'm glad I got a chance to try it in the sim, because my normal flare resulted in an enormous balloon! The plane flew nothing at all like I expected, and it gave me quite a start.