Vietnam Airlines attempts landing with gear up

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Vietnam Airlines attempts landing with gear up

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Flight was one minute from touchdown at Melbourne Airport with landing gear still up.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/consume ... 52t3j.html
A Vietnam Airlines flight was within one minute of landing at Melbourne Airport on Thursday morning when air traffic controllers were shocked to discover the Boeing 787 Dreamliner’s landing gear was still up.

Air safety officials have launched an investigation into the incident, regarded as extremely serious because the plane came so close to the ground without landing gear having been put down.“During approach to land, Melbourne Air Traffic Control advised the crew that the aircraft’s landing gear was observed not to be extended. The crew initiated a missed approach,” the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said in a statement on Thursday.

Flight tracking website FlightRadar24 shows the service approaching Melbourne Airport just after 8am on Thursday morning. The flight dropped as low as 675 feet, the website indicated, and then rapidly ascended to 5000 feet after aborting the landing. The flight then circled the airport and landed safely just before 8.30am.

Oooooooooer !! That could have been expensive.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Vietnam Airlines attempts landing with gear up

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:51 pm

I remember a Kuwaiti sprog at AST Perth trying to do that in a Cessna 310.

Tower yelled at him "Check gear!". Three times: "Check gear!".

He was too fast & too high, but he kept on going. Eventually a Verey flare got his attention, just as he was thinking of going around as he was silly high and silly fast and couldn't figure out why.

At the debrief, he was asked why he didn't respond to the ATC call. "I couldn't hear what the Tower was saying because there was this loud horn noise in my headset" he replied.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:41 pm

F/o handling approaching Honolulu. He called for the approach checks and the leading edge flaps failed, I told him to continue the approach whilst the F/Eng. and self attempted to sort at the problem, obviously in the hope that we could continue the check list and land, but we had "stopped" the check list before reaching "gear down" and when he lined up the tower ordered "no gear, go around" but we were considering a go around anyway by that time. Having sorted out the flaps we returned for an uneventful landing. ATC issued a violation, i.e. approaching to land with gear retracted, but eventually accepted that we were aware of the situation and dropped it.

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:40 pm

I had the same thing (right wing LE slat flap going into CHC once ExSp33d in a 747-300 I think. Wonder if it was the same aircraft?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 am

27/06/90 747-300 N118KD

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 am

Out of interest what is current SOP when carrying out a check list and an item fails. Having resolved the failure start the check list from the beginning again or attempt to carry on from where you left off.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 am

Think I have mentioned before, very short finals I always had my personal silent check: gear, flaps, clear to land. I still do it here to this day RHS non operating fixed gear.

Never flown a Boeing. Surely a 787 would have a warning.

Total thread drift. When we flew out of MUB the other week two aircraft were ahead of us. We were all puddle jumpers. Each rolled as the one ahead just got airborne. The horizontal separation couldn't have been more than 2,000'. The runway is 10,000'. My thought as we rolled was what if that one ahead has an engine failure and plonks it back on. The activity here high season is incredible.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:55 am

Out of interest what is current SOP when carrying out a check list and an item fails

SOP''s ? Depends on each Org. I guess, but I have always worked on the premiss that if a check list is stopped to sort out a problem, then once the problem is solved then it is started again from the beginning, in my incident I was asked why I hadn’t dropped the gear anyway, and replied to the effect that would have meant dropping the gear out of check list sequence, possibly then missing some items as a result had we sorted out the flaps and continued to land. I wanted to resolve the flap problem before then starting the check list again and the gear would have been lowered in correct sequence. The check list sequence is there for a good reason, operating items out of sequence could cause more problems, and .... if in doubt, lash out, everything forward for speed, power, flaps, speed brakes, pitch, carb. heat, mixture ( as appropriate )

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:17 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 am
Having resolved the failure start the check list from the beginning again...
Yep.

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 am
very short finals I always had my personal silent check: gear, flaps, clear to land.
Used it forever myself too sah. I used to do it at 500ft (100ft in the Cub). It’s what I bash into the kids heads too.

Never flown a Boeing.
Never? 😱

You haven’t lived a full life mate.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:22 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 am
27/06/90 747-300 N118KD
Log books are all back home. I’ll look it up. SIN-CHC.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am

Frequently fly IN Boeings Capt, but never rated. We do like the B777 as SLF.

No one has answered my question about an alarm that the gear was not down? Some sort of configuration alarm maybe.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 am

Yes - the loud horn as per post #2 by UP - can be muted in SOME circumstances but not on finals unless you pull a CB.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Woody » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:47 am

Probably not related, but EK5 performed a go around whilst on finals to 09L last night, set off an impressive number of car alarms in the car parks next to the Northern Perimeter Road :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.