Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Drunk in charge

#22 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 am

Cleared to land at Cranfield, where the aircraft was based, after dark when the airfield was closed. No runway lights. The owner of the club said no problem you have landing lights on the aircraft. Obviously I had checked them but they didn't work when I came into land.
I was told (from a reliable source) the story of a night landing either on a Cab or a glider (they took off before sunset and they stay up after it because of good conditions) who landed at a small airport where only the departure end of the runway was marked by some cars rear-lights.

Ex-A how did you manage to see enough to land after dark?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Drunk in charge

#23 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm

I’ve finally discovered why my ears were burning hot!

Though certified as mad by my erstwhile colleagues I have never jumped out of a serviceable aircraft nor used MartinBaker nor Folland seats when they were available to me.

As a stude pilot in Betty Windsor’s Flying Club I did the preparatory training for a jump, all the falling over on mats on the floor (useful for inebriated dining-In nights and other functions) and the packing of one’s own ‘chute so we paid close attention to that one!

Alas the promised B-N Islander failed to materialise on the nominated weekend and the enthusiasm faded thereafter.

However, it’s nice to be remembered by the Shoebox registration as it’s lonely out here. ;)))