Drunk in charge

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Drunk in charge

#1 Post by ricardian » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Liquid manure spread over city

Four tons of liquid manure - I wonder what sort of aircraft it was?
I love the comment
We’re a small community. We knew Barry was a drunkard and we saw him fly hazardously before, so we guessed it was him. But I had never seen him this drunk before.”
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Drunk in charge

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:16 pm

The article seems to have been pulled from an already dubious source. Mmmh, urban myth although stranger things have happened? ;)))

I have heard of and come across top spreading, but 4 tons of muck? Muck spreader runs amok...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 pm

If you look at the rest of the “news” stories on the worldnewsdailyreport website you’d realise it is prime 1st April material!

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Hydromet » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 pm

'404 Page not found', but I don't think that's much loss.
Mind you, I can think of some places where 4 tons of liquid manure dumped on them would be quite an improvement.

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am

Having been peripherally involved with the ag spraying business it is obvious that you cannot spray “manure” from an aircraft. Anything sprayed has to be particle free.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:14 am

Not to mention that 8000 lbs in a crop duster is quire a stretch.

PP

Slasher

#7 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 am

I got a 404 too but there were other I interesting articles there like 16 japs got eaten alive by a school of killer whales. I guess that’s why they’re called ‘killer’.

The only things I’ve ever chucked out of aeroplanes were flour bombs in target comps. Doing the same thing with 4 tons of sh!t would be quite a challenge.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:32 am

Slasher wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 am
The only things I’ve ever chucked out of aeroplanes were flour bombs in target comps. Doing the same thing with 4 tons of sh!t would be quite a challenge.
I chucked myself out of an aeroplane once. I was a student at the time.

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:36 am

Did your QFI chuck you out ‘del or left of your own accord? ;)))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by llondel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:04 am

I did it voluntarily. Floating down on a parachute is actually great fun - back then you got to do your first jump solo, not tandem as now. I was on a static line though, so I didn't have to pull the cord myself. So I've taken off in an aircraft ore times than I've landed in one.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:38 am

I have chucked thousands of folk out of aircraft. I was doing a conversion onto to the Skyvan, the one below to be precise. I had read the book and done two circuits. My instructor who was a good friend was a parachutist as well as parachute pilot. He asked me if I was happy. I sort of erred a bit then he jumped out. Left me with this flying shed with throttles in all the wrong places.
Attachments
G-BKMD.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ian16th » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:59 am

The Skyvan was the nearest thing to a Baby Beverley!
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:35 am

Funny registration this Skyvan in relation to fellow member Barkingmad.

Jumping out of the aircraft and having more take offs on aircraft than landings is fun.

Slasher

#14 Post by Slasher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 am

Good pickup RiS!

Could this be Barking’s future avatar? 🤔

5F2D2A9C-E50D-4397-9BEF-EC58C32F6053.jpeg
5F2D2A9C-E50D-4397-9BEF-EC58C32F6053.jpeg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 am

Actually guys you had to be Barkingmad to fly it. Fuel gauges didn't work you had to go onto the wings and dip the tanks. To carry max nutters to height you had to have minimum fuel. Rules of the parachute centre. I lost one donk once due to lack of juice. Never flew for the operation again. Don't think I did more than two weekends.

Cleared to land at Cranfield, where the aircraft was based, after dark when the airfield was closed. No runway lights. The owner of the club said no problem you have landing lights on the aircraft. Obviously I had checked them but they didn't work when I came into land.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:39 pm

Has anybody here ever tried to urinate from the Shed while in the air? If so you will know that there is only one sweet spot where the slipstream will carry the yellow peril away. Anywhere else and it is blow back time with often hilarious, if somewhat unhygienic, consequences that can leave people feeling decidedly pissed off.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by 1DC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Remember a twenty questions programme from years ago where they had to guess what a chap had done to make himself unpopular.
Turned out he drove through his village without realising that the muck spreader he was towing hadn't switched off so he sprayed the village with pig *****

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by llondel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:36 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:39 pm
Has anybody here ever tried to urinate from the Shed while in the air? If so you will know that there is only one sweet spot where the slipstream will carry the yellow peril away. Anywhere else and it is blow back time with often hilarious, if somewhat unhygienic, consequences that can leave people feeling decidedly pissed off.
Off or on?

ribrash

#19 Post by ribrash » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:02 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:39 pm
Try having a *iss on a windswept Wirral beach such as during this weeks winter league match.The straps of the full length chest waders are buried under all the extra layers of warm clothing.You nearly have to get undressed to pull the waders down.Then you have the problem of trying to find "auld micky " due to the freezing conditions.The problem is not helped by the bird,ship,people watchers equipped with the most powerful bino's known to man watching you. You often hear the shout " look Ma he's got his micky out " =))

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by 1DC » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Eastern Airways had Shorts 340's and 360's. I used to fly down to LHR in them and the flight back at night was at 1900. Concorde used to take off at 1900 too and if it beat you to take off the Shorts had to wait about ten minutes until Concords turbulence had subsided..