More Boeing Bad News

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More Boeing Bad News

#641 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Sorry BOAC [-X
Engineers drive trains here, or are called mechanics if they work on stuff. :))

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#642 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Dang! There goes another glorious career. I don't want to drive trains :((

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#643 Post by tango15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
Everyone wants to drive trains, Boac. :)) Not those noisy diesel things of course, a proper locomotive. But then as the Ferrari advert used to say 'No one in Italy grows up wanting to be a train driver.' :)

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#644 Post by k3k3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm

tango15 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Boac wrote:
But then as the Ferrari advert used to say 'No one in Italy grows up wanting to be a train driver.' :)
I've got that poster, it wasn't for Ferrari but for the Fiat Coupe, the car in the advert was bright yellow. I had a Coupe 20VT in Portofino Blue, beautiful!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#645 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:48 pm

tango - I phrased that post badly - I'd LOVE to drive a train, but not particularly as a job :)) - what lad wouldn't (I think I did go through the "I want to be..." bit as a kid).

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#646 Post by tango15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:03 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm
tango15 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Boac wrote:
But then as the Ferrari advert used to say 'No one in Italy grows up wanting to be a train driver.' :)
I've got that poster, it wasn't for Ferrari but for the Fiat Coupe, the car in the advert was bright yellow. I had a Coupe 20VT in Portofino Blue, beautiful!
Fiat, Ferrari - it's all the same, innit? :)) I think it would have been more appropriate for the Ferrari though! :)

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#647 Post by tango15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:48 pm
tango - I phrased that post badly - I'd LOVE to drive a train, but not particularly as a job :)) - what lad wouldn't (I think I did go through the "I want to be..." bit as a kid).
Yes, that's proper train driving isn't it? A good friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, reached those dizzy heights on the Nene Valley Railway. I travelled on the footplate with him a couple of times and it was great fun.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#648 Post by llondel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Sorry BOAC [-X
Engineers drive trains here, or are called mechanics if they work on stuff. :))

PP
Not in California, engineers can be electrical, mechanical, software and some are even civil. The word derives from Latin "ingeniator" or "ingeniare". I would have though someone who drives trains in the US really ought to be loco, except that's for crazy people (same difference really).

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#649 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 am

tango15 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm
Boac wrote:
Yes, that's proper train driving isn't it? A good friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, reached those dizzy heights on the Nene Valley Railway. I travelled on the footplate with him a couple of times and it was great fun.
I remember being smitten with the exotic look of the US diesel locomotives in a picture book at at our local library at the age of five (way back in the 60's) and perused the book with a passion and delight for days, leading me to tell my mother that "I want to be a train driver when...". She of course disabused me of this notion and said I would grow out off it, to which patronisation I grew rude and obstreperous (plus ca change) and I was sent to my room with no supper. The childish passion continued because I remember standing, for what seemed hours, watching the US freight trains that ran along the perimeter of the Museum of the Confederacy in Virginia, in my late 30's, back in the day. The length of those trains is to be admired I must say, but the locomotives are something else! :x

Here is a bloke who never let the passion die and lived, breathed, bankrupted himself and died in the pursuit of his passion and had a great life despite all of it!

Alan Pegler

Back to Boeing...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#650 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am

The U.S. Transportation Department's Office of Inspector General said on Tuesday it will audit the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) November decision to unground the Boeing 737 MAX

The new audit will examine the FAA’s actions following the two accidents, including the the agency's risk assessments, the grounding of the aircraft and the subsequent recertification, the inspector general's office said. Boeing declined to comment.

How does anyone in the US know what they are talking about? Do we now assume that the problems that have developed with the earthing of the Max system came about because of the FAA action? #-o

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#651 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am
The U.S. Transportation Department's Office of Inspector General said on Tuesday it will audit the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) November decision to unground the Boeing 737 MAX

The new audit will examine the FAA’s actions following the two accidents, including the the agency's risk assessments, the grounding of the aircraft and the subsequent recertification, the inspector general's office said. Boeing declined to comment.

How does anyone in the US know what they are talking about? Do we now assume that the problems that have developed with the earthing of the Max system came about because of the FAA action? #-o

Lack of precision in speech, the dissolution of truth etc. are the first symptoms of the beginning of a breakdown in a civilised society...

But the real symptom is the inappropriate use of long lines on underslung helicopters! [-X You just look what happened to the Romans! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#652 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am

the first symptoms of the beginning of a breakdown in a civilised society.
- I thought that was Trump?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#653 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am
He was an egregious example of a trend that has been ongoing for some time in that Republic....

Boeing's fall is the part of the whole syndrome, the travestying of morality/ethics 101, the worship of mammon, the deification of greed and so on... It is happening here in the UK to, vide. that piece of offal Johnson etc.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#654 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:20 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 am
Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am
Boeing's fall is the part of the whole syndrome, the travestying of morality/ethics 101, the worship of mammon, the deification of greed and so on... It is happening here in the UK to, vide. that piece of offal Johnson etc.
This remarkable documentary is well worth re-watching.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#655 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am

I am not sure it is relevant but did the MAX got a new certification or the previous one handed back after the changes?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#656 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 pm

While my approach is down to earth, my word is my bond and I am well grounded in these matters I have to declare I don't know.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#657 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 pm
While my approach is down to earth, my word is my bond and I am well grounded in these matters I have to declare I don't know.
While my approach is down to bond, my word is my ground and I am well earthed in these matters I have to declare I don't know.

Same thing? :-o
Just doesn't sound as good. :ymdevil:

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#658 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Makes just as much sense!! =)) Covfefe!!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#659 Post by llondel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:28 am

tango15 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm
Boac wrote:
I once rode on the footplate of Bluebell, I was probably about age 11 at the time. I've been on the footplate of a stationary loco on the Nene Valley, we'd been for a ride and afterwards wandered up to talk to the people at the hot end and got invited on for a look. One year at Bala we went for a ride on the railway there off season, so it wasn't crowded, and talking to the driver afterwards, he said he was going to take the engine down to the water tank to fill up. I said perhaps we'd walk down to watch (my son was with me) and he offered us a lift on the footplate, so we got to travel a few hundred feet on that one.

When I lived near Bristol I knew someone who'd worked steam engines on the GWR, he mentioned once that he shovelled seven tons of coal on one trip to London because it wasn't particularly good coal.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#660 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 am

Working in POL at Gutersloh, one of the jobs we were tasked to do was act as train driver/shunter to bring the rail tankers on to camp from Blankehagen should the resident zugführer not be available. No shovelling coal as the loco was an ancient diseasel which, according to Herman the regular zugführer, had been driven on occasion by some fella with a funny moustache and his fat sidekick when they had visited the place. Apparently Gutersloh was one of the fat boy's favourite airfields.
It's always my fault - SWMBO