If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

More Boeing Bad News

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

More Boeing Bad News

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More Boeing Bad News

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:34 am

Reminds me of the 'Apollo 13' movie.
"So, what have we got that's still good?"

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Reading what Boeing is proposing to change, half of it is stuff which I think many will be surprised wasn't already standard, and the rest looks like PR bolleaux which doesn't make the slightest difference if the accountants say no in private.
If whistleblowers continue to appear at regular intervals, and given how screwed the company culture was/is I expect they will, then the FAA and other regulators will continue to run around requiring more and more checks to cover their @sses. This might never end. Indeed, if whistleblowers want to bring the company down, the 'drip-drip' approach is most likely to achieve that. Just wait a month or so until Boeing says they have a fix in testing for problem 'A', then chuck in a Problem 'B'. This is because it's not Boeing that's reacting, it's the World's regulatory authorities, separately and together.
Personally I doubt that Boeing management accept for a moment that they are going in completely the wrong direction, as it looks like they would far rather use PR and influence than fix the systemic problems.
And Joe Public is still going to avoid something which was said to be an easy fix and has already taken over a year. There comes a point when a long reintroduction does not look like 'taking every care', and starts to look like 'was seriously f#cked and Boeing didn't realize it'. I don't know where that point lies, but I'm not getting on one.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:22 pm

F3, I thought the problem is clearly described: make sure the MCAS does not activate in a way it renders the aircraft unflyable. If they deliver that to so an average crew handles it correctly all the time they reached the target. Are there any further problems?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:34 am
Reminds me of the 'Apollo 13' movie.
"So, what have we got that's still good?"
They've still got an impressive history and some wonderful museum exhibits to be proud of.

Relics such as the B-17, the B737 and the Stearman, f'rinstance.

Commercially, they've still got a captive market for their military gizmos. The Empire has an insatiable appetite for both shiny and dark toys and can call on an infinite supply of puff-money thanks to the combination of Breton Woods and petrodollars and corrupt/greedy banksters who can conjure trillions out of thin air simply by writing them into existence by creating Debt.

All is well, at least in the fantasy world inhabited by Chumpsters.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Are there any further problems?
make sure the MCAS does not activate in a way it renders the aircraft unflyable. If they deliver that to so an average crew handles it correctly all the time they reached the target.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Are there any further problems?
make sure the MCAS does not activate in a way it renders the aircraft unflyable. If they deliver that to so an average crew handles it correctly all the time they reached the target.
Maybe I didn't understand that:
If whistleblowers continue to appear at regular intervals, and given how screwed the company culture was/is I expect they will, then the FAA and other regulators will continue to run around requiring more and more checks to cover their @sses. This might never end. Indeed, if whistleblowers want to bring the company down, the 'drip-drip' approach is most likely to achieve that. Just wait a month or so until Boeing says they have a fix in testing for problem 'A', then chuck in a Problem 'B'.
Most whistle-blowes are mentioning problems not really affecting the safety of the aircraft at least enough to ground them. They prompt more a general malaise of the company. So what is the Problem "B" after making MCAS harmless?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Then they will have invented/'discovered' fly-by-wire.

Woopdeboop.

Then they will be able to play ketchup with the competition.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Other problems.
Manual trim wheel authority. I have zero experience, but those who have seem to think this could still be a problem.
Did they build some marvelous aircraft? Yes, of course. The question is in the present tense.
That they have an insatiable demand for their military aircraft means this division could be sold off if the company went bust. It's a perfectly normal consequence to a big company taking over a smaller one and f#cking things up. One good division is not an argument for keeping the whole company together, especially when it is the big bosses who have caused this problem.
The recent whistleblowers are revealing two things. Firstly, the top mnagement were ignoring perfectly valid reasons from highly experienced, ethical employees as to why their actions were wrong. Secondly, they hid and continue to hide stuff from the FAA. Both of these render the existing certification process worthless, and demonstrably so to the rest of the world. So, even if they have actually fixed this and other problems, it is very hard to believe them about it. Personally I think the entire board has to go.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana , the way you see it every recently certified aircraft like the 787 may have hidden issues and dangerous short cuts into certification hence a very profound re-working of the product range, procedures and mentality is required. Isn't that so?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm

I agree that 'may have' is the key expression.
I don't think a profound reworking is necessary in the sense of something new being required. They just have to fire all the senior management and go back to doing what they used to do.
However, I don't expect this to happen. The problems with Boeing exist throughout major industries and government departments right around the world. More admin is good, cheaper workers is good, only the financials matter, and we just move the goalposts if the data shows otherwise. We've seen a quote just today from someone saying his doctor reckons exactly the same thing about the NHS. Personally I would find it hard to give you an example where this isn't true. In science education, I know exactly what's wrong and have a very strong track record of proving I can change things. What happens is the Government (and I've seen this personally in three different countries) shifts the criteria, rewrites the syllabus, and changes the exams so that not only are their failures covered up but that anyone who tries to do anything different can be got rid of. This will of course, all end in tears. When, I don't know, but the reality is that productivity is dropping, everything is held together by hope and luck, and furthermore it's guaranteed to continue getting worse.
On the plus side......it's Christmas :YMPARTY:
Oh, no, but it isn't is it? That oppresses somebody apparently, so it's officially ignored. ;)))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Corporate culture corrupted. Engineering ethos replaced by financial short termism placing the profit motive above safety and any other ethical considerations.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:10 pm

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Caught the tail end of a questioning on CNN today of the
new (?) FAA head Dickson being asked by a senator why the Agency had not responded to letters from a Boeing whistleblower, no meeting, no examination of documents he sent. Despite four hours questioning would not admit error in ignoring man. Senator said "well, you can talk to him now - he's sitting over there".
Little reaction. Wish I'd seen the whole interview. No punches pulled.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:34 pm

OK, I see it's posted above.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Rwy in Sight