More Boeing Bad News

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More Boeing Bad News

#541 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:14 pm

If this is one of the engines, it wasn't dawdling........................

ErZm7AiXcAMpdPh.jpg
ErZm7AiXcAMpdPh.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 pm
METAR!!! Stop getting me excited................
I thought it was unusual not to have one but then again maybe it is one tradition left behind in the TOP.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#543 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Just had a peek at the TOP thread on the latest crash - totally tittyfilarious and a fine advert for the site.
Couldn't resist popping over there. After one minute I came off it. Read about two comments including that the TCAS had told him to turn. =))
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:14 pm

Bad "Good News" or Good "Bad News" :-? :-??

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/business ... index.html

Boeing reports strong end to its worst year in decades
By Chris Isidore, CNN Business

New York (CNN Business)Boeing ended its worst year in more than 40 years with its best month of 2020.

The company reported that it delivered 39 jets to customers in December -- and deliveries are important because that's when Boeing gets most of the money owed for a plane.
But doesn't change the full year or near-term outlook for Boeing, which is struggling to recover from the dual crises of the 737 Max grounding and the pandemic-fueled plunge in air travel. The company has been slashing production rates and cutting staff in response to the financial crisis hitting its airline customers.
That comparatively stellar December delivery figure brought Boeing's total 2020 deliveries to only 157, the lowest figure for the aircraft maker and its predecessor companies since 1977.
By contrast, Boeing delivered a record 806 commercial jets as recently as 2018, helping to lift annual revenue above the $100 billion mark for the first time that year. Now analysts forecast Boeing will report revenue of only $58 billion in 2020, and $78 billion in 2021.
Notably, Boeing was able to deliver 27 737 Max jets in December, the first deliveries of the troubled aircraft since its grounding of the plane in March 2019 following two fatal crashes. The US Federal Aviation Administration cleared the 737 Max to again fly passengers in late November, and Boeing delivered 10 to American Airlines (AAL), eight to United (UAL) and one to Panamian carrier Copa, with the rest going to leasing companies. The deliveries came from the backlog of planes that it continued to build during the grounding.
But it's not just the 737 Max problem that hit the company's deliveries in 2020.
Airlines grounded most of their existing fleets when air travel ground to a near halt early in 2020 -- so, desperate to preserve cash, many delayed deliveries of planes they had expected to receive during the year. Beyond the 27 737 Max jets, Boeing delivered no other passenger jets in December: The other deliveries consisted of nine freighters and three military versions of commercial planes.
"As we continue navigating through the pandemic, we're working closely with our global customers and monitoring the slow international traffic recovery to align supply with market demand," said Boeing CFO Greg Smith. "In 2021, we'll continue taking the right actions to enhance our safety culture, preserve liquidity and transform our business for the future."
On the orders side, Boeing reported 90 new orders in December, including 75 additional 737 Max jets for Ryanair (RYAAY), by far its biggest firm order for the plane in more than two years.
But that boon was more than balanced out by 107 earlier orders that were canceled during the month, mostly for the Max.

For all of 2020, orders for 184 jets were more than wiped out by 655 canceled orders, the biggest hit to its order book that the Boeing has ever suffered.
The company also said it is no longer confident enough about 555 existing orders to still count them in its backlog, either because of its airline customer's financial condition or because the airline has started discussions of canceling an order.
But even with the canceled and now-uncertain orders, Boeing managed to end the year with an order backlog of 4,223 planes.
While the December numbers were an improvement from the rest of the year, they were apparently a disappointment for investors. Boeing (BA) shares were trading about 1% higher ahead of the 11 am ET report, but they were down 0.8% after the release.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Do aircraft customers pay a deposit when they 'place' an order?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I think payment on delivery is standard.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Do aircraft customers pay a deposit when they 'place' an order?
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:55 pm
I think payment on delivery is standard.
There must be an interim negotiation, otherwise Boeing would be left with aircraft detailed for specific airlines.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 pm

G-CPTN:
I'm sure that Boeing has a few "white tails" sitting around that could be had quite reasonably if you showed up with cash in hand.
I am typed in the 737, and would be glad to assist you with the delivery and operation of said aircraft.
Please let me know.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm

There’s a major problem starting to raise its head in terms of restoring these aircraft because while out of service for nine or 10 months, they need to be kept operating, otherwise they deteriorate,” said Hugh Ritchie, chief executive of Aviation Analysts International, an Australian air safety consulting firm.

The Indonesian plane did not fly between March 23 and Dec 19 last year, and was then used 132 times after it resumed operating, according to aviation data provider Flightradar24.
132 cycles after its layoff would seem enough time for a shake down.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm
132 cycles after its layoff would seem enough time for a shake down.
Read somewhere that aircrew hadn't had anywhere near similar cycles needed to "shake down".
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm

That sounds more likely.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Else, trot out the old routine "suicide" bollocks. That's always a good one.

Arrange for the investigators to discover that one of the pilots couldn't pay his bar bill; or got overstretched on a mortgage; or that his wife had discovered evidence of a night stop dalliance with one of the comfort women in the cabin crew; or that he was politically opposed to the ruling Party; or somesuch bollocks.

Any old bollocks will do to create such a scenario in which an FAA certified Boeing killed its crew and pax through no fault of Boeing or the local national airworthiness regulator.

The grieving families will be paid off with the price of a winglet; or perhaps the hot section of an APU if the victim was a dentist or a doctor or a well connected lawyer, each; and that will be that.

Business as usual.

To a limited extent, it doesn't actually matter, in a way, what the true cause was.

Life will go on.

Insurance actuaries will clack their abacuses and adjustments will be made. That's the way it works, boys and girls.

If such accidents as this didn't occur, Members at Lloyds would have to go out and dig ditches or grow carrots or fly aeoplanes and helicopters to earn a living through hard sweat.

If that sounds callous, then I've misunderstood myself in a Bushie sort of way.

You pay your money: then you take your chances.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am

Abstract

This paper highlights several critically important facts involving the Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 accident investigations while raising numerous unanswered questions. Much of the blame for these tragedies has been focused on the design of the 737 MAX, specifically the MCAS software, the regulatory oversight failures of the FAA, and the lack of training provided to pilots. Although each of these problems played major roles in both accidents, they were not the triggering events.

The paper's author, Ed Pierson, retired from Boeing in August 2018. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Pierson served as a Senior Manager within the 737 Factory in Renton, Washington. Mr. Pierson is also a retired Navy Captain. He held a variety of senior leadership roles in the military including Squadron Commanding Officer and Operations Center Director. Mr. Pierson testified as a whistleblower before Congress in December 2019 regarding the 737 MAX. The paper underscores the likely role a chaotic and dangerously unstable production environment played in the accidents. Mr. Pierson also puts forth three other plausible accident scenarios not addressed in the accident investigations. The 14-page report includes a timeline and an analysis that ties the two 737 MAX airplane crashes together in ways not previously reported. Most importantly, Mr. Pierson’s analysis raises serious doubts as to the safety of the 737 MAX. Alarmingly, the FAA’s recertification fixes do not address the problems identified in the report.

Captain Sullenberger has read this paper and said that “it raises many important questions that must be answered.” Dr. Daniel Ossmann, a recognized expert in aerospace fault detection, has also reviewed the paper and “concluded that it illustrates an excellent compact summary of the events and raises concerns that should be thoughtfully addressed.”

Boeing 737 Max - Still not fixed

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:02 am

Gulp! I think I would have asked for my money back.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:53 pm

I’m always reminded of the time that my cousin who is a safety trainer at BA Engineering wangled a trip to Boeing Field with a couple of Union reps, he said that the working atmosphere was so bad that shop floor workers wouldn’t speak to them on their visit, because they were wearing shirts and ties and as such “ had to be management “ :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am
Abstract

Boeing 737 Max - Still not fixed
Factory workers are frequently required to perform intricate, physically demanding tasks in tight spaces while in awkward physical positions (overhead, bending, reaching, etc.).
Reminds me of working on Lincoln's!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:13 pm

I can't remember the aircraft but the engineer managed to manoeuvre his arm into a compartment to reach something but was then unable to untwist to remove it - Victor or Herc IIRC.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:13 pm
I can't remember the aircraft but the engineer managed to manoeuvre his arm into a compartment to reach something but was then unable to untwist to remove it - Victor or Herc IIRC.
Is he still there?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 pm

No - his arm is.................... :))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Conversely the easiest aircraft that I ever worked on the the dear old Vickers Varsity.

Only when I first worked on them, 1955, they were quite new! And to rub in the difference we had both types Lincoln's & Varsity's on the same Squadron at Lindholme.
Cynicism improves with age