Boeing clashes with FAA over 727 auxiliary tank explosion risk

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Boeing clashes with FAA over 727 auxiliary tank explosion risk

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:57 am

You'd think given the 737 Max situation,that arrogant Boeing might just wind its neck in on this one but no!
Boeing and the US FAA have clashed over a safety modification for Boeing 727s, with the regulator rejecting three attempts by the airframer to have the proposal withdrawn.
The FAA’s concern centres on 727s fitted with Boeing’s body-mounted auxiliary fuel tanks.

It argues that the fuel-quantity indicating system presents a potential electrical ignition source and, within 12 months, operators should either modify the system, to eliminate the risk of explosion, or de-activate the fuel tanks.

But Boeing has objected to the requirement, on three fronts.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/boein ... 73.article
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Boeing clashes with FAA over 727 auxiliary tank explosion risk

#2 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:48 am

Part of me is surprised that there are any 727s still operating in the US but apparently there are still as many as six of them out there.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 am

There were 86 727's flying world wide last year with only the wonderfully named Arseman Airlines of Iran using the type for scheduled passenger services. The irony is that Arseman were scheduled to replace the 727's with the 737 Max until Trump forced Boeing to renege on the deal. Looks like he might have done them a favour!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 am

Actually it’s ‘Aseman’ Gob. As you read through this site it’ll become clear as day...insh’allah habibi. 🙏

https://www.iaa.ir/fa/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 am

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 am
Actually it’s ‘Aseman’ Gob. As you read through this site it’ll become clear as day...insh’allah habibi. 🙏

https://www.iaa.ir/fa/
And to think I thought I would have got away with such an egregious error Captain Slasher... my own joke has made an arse out of me! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 am

In expiation for my silliness and to propitiate the sky Gods, I post this video of a refurbished 727 tanker that I saw display at the very last public display Farnborough airshow but one (they flew in 2018 as well I believe). Tis always a pleasure to hear and see a 727, the ultimate hot rod of the sky (with a hat tip to Captain Slasher).

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Slasher

#7 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Now THIS is was a real 727 Gob that’s almost the same as the ones we had in TAA. No poofterised JT8s and no pretty girly bent wingtips. Just a graceful aluminum phallic running on a mix of Jet A1 with pure testosterone injection!

Play it with your speakers up full.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 pm

That one TGG's post was reported to be pootling around over the Lincolnshire coast the other day. Cap'n Slasher could have watched it whilst he was sat on Cleethorpes beach with an ice cream cornet in his hand and knotted hankie on his head...... forgot to mention.. plus seven layers of clothing to keep the cold out.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by boing » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:08 pm

I can only agree with Slasher. I must have around 5,000 hours on the 27 in both left and right hand seats with the last year or so as Line Check Captain. I look at it like a Dominatrix, gives you a lovely time while you are doing things right but can whip your rear end if you don't treat her as she wishes.

Nearly the same wingspan and operating weights as the Vulcan with only a little bit more than half the thrust but a much better aircraft at low-level cruise. Frankly I would have been much happier going into Russia with a modified 27 than in the Vulcan because the 27 was good for over 400 knots low down.

I am not quite sure where this Aux tank that is being discussed would be located, is it in one of the cargo bays or is it in the rear fuselage? Surely if you can hack the big job of fastening it down the pipe and electrical work should be a doddle.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 pm

A very British reply :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.