Captain didn't read NOTAMS...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Captain didn't read NOTAMS...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Hara-kiri for the Captain... Although I give him full credit for being deaf to the repeated pointed questioning by ATC. Pleading the 5th...

Sent by an old friend...
A Jetstar Japan Airbus A320-200, registration JA13JJ performing flight GK-40 from Manila (Philippines) to Tokyo Narita (Japan) with 140 people on board, had taxied for departure from runway 13 via taxiway D, entered runway 13 for backtracking via taxiway F1, backtracked runway 13 and was turning around 180 degrees to line runway 13 up when nose and right main gear went off the runway and became stuck in soft ground. The passengers disembarked onto the runway and were bussed to the terminal.

The runway needed to be closed until the aircraft was pulled back onto paved surface about 8 hours later.

The airport reported the aircraft was maneouvering for takeoff from runway 13 and performing a 180 degrees turn when nose and right main gear went off paved surface.
Digging a hole.JPG
http://avherald.com/h?article=4d0930cf
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Captain didn't read NOTAMS...

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Not sure I appreciate the connection with NOTAMs.

I recall the first time I appreciated pilots don't read NOTAMs was my first trip to Gibraltar. It was my final nav training trip so read everything possible. The flight was delayed for weather. Anyway on arrival come the dawn I announced the weather and runway to be told it was 26 not 27. Of course the pilot had missed the runway change because of the variety change.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Looking at the state of the nose gear I guess he tried to give it a bit of welly and gave it the shimmy Jimmy! One has to question why it sank that far mind, but then people ask the same of me... :)

Another compromised career, I guess.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:13 am

Need a bit more than a tug to get that out.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 am

Surely MCAS will sort it out?

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by k3k3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:19 am

Shovels, PSP and a Tugmaster, worked for a Vulcan off the SFD at Lossie.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:41 am

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:19 am
Shovels, PSP and a Tugmaster, worked for a Vulcan off the SFD at Lossie.
Yes as you say shovels. He had one main and nose wheel stuck. You can't just pull that out. It took them 8 hours.

Only been ploughing once but that was that was the Captain's fault. I did warn him. Been pretty close on two other occasions as the Captain.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by k3k3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 am

A NATO E3A (451) aborted a T.O. too late and went off the end of the runway at GK. Luckily it had been raining for weeks beforehand and it just sank up to its axles, if the ground had been hard it would have gone through the perimeter fence and the 8' concrete fence posts would have torn the wings open.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:36 am

PN wrote:Not sure I appreciate the connection with NOTAMs.
- watch the clip?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:35 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 am
A NATO E3A (451) aborted a T.O. too late and went off the end of the runway at GK. Luckily it had been raining for weeks beforehand and it just sank up to its axles, if the ground had been hard it would have gone through the perimeter fence and the 8' concrete fence posts would have torn the wings open.
Isn't that why they have the foamed concrete at the ends of some runways, precisely to catch overruns before they get to the fence? Just looking at SJC north end where it's 300ft from what appears to be the end of the runway tarmac to the 101 slip road through the fence. No idea if there's anything to stop an errant aircraft from doing that. Similar at the south end, 300ft through the fence onto 880.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by k3k3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:17 pm

If you put ETNG in to Google Earth you can see how close it came to being a disaster, it went off the eastern end finishing up with just the tail overhanging the tarmac, must have been about 1989-90.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:19 am

I have always felt for the BA crew that buried their wing in a building at JNB some years back... the aircaft was declared a hull loss I believe.

Oops.JPG
A statement from the South African Civil Aviation Authority's (SACAA) preliminary report, the B747-400 aircraft was cleared for takeoff on Runway 03L.
It said: 'It was confirmed to the SACAA that the air crew got instructions from the Air Traffic Control to taxi using taxi way B. The crew continued onto taxi way M which is narrower resulting in the aircraft impacting on an office building behind the SAA Technical hangers.

'Four officials (of Bidvest, a South Africa-based distribution services and trading business) who were in the building were injured by the debris. The 17 Crew and 185 passengers who were in the aircraft escaped unharmed and were evacuated from the aircraft through door no. 5.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ian16th » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 am

It was a hull write off. BA effectively brought this air-frame to the front of the queue of the B747's that were scheduled for parting out, and the rest were delayed for a while. All done by Bean Counters!

Apparently the taxiway lighting and signage were both 'improved' after the event, even though the inquiry deemed them adequate.
Cynicism improves with age