Australian government charter light aircraft down...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Australian government charter light aircraft down...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:10 am

Five people on a government charter flight died when their light plane crashed trying to land near the Cape York community of Lockhart River in far north Queensland.

Queensland police confirmed the 10-seat plane had attempted to land two times at Lockhart River in wild weather about 9.30am on Wednesday, before crashing into sand dunes during its third attempt.

“We know there were five people on board. At this time, we’re trying to contact their next of kin to advise those people personally of the tragedy that’s occurred,” acting chief superintendent Chris Hodgman told reporters.

“Nobody has survived that crash."
Cessna 404 down
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Austalian government charter light aircraft down...

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 am

It's a Pinky aerie that failed to bounce. His didn't bounce either. Pretty flat up there so CFIT unlikely, unless went below mins in thick cloud which can happen. Heavy cloud to ground level that is. Flown into Weipa, 160kms t'other side of the peninsula, a few times, as SLF though. He should have diverted there. That neck of the woods you get old pilots and bold pilots, being both is a definite rarity.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Australian government charter light aircraft down...

#3 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 am

It's a Pinky aerie that failed to bounce.
Ummm...dunno 'bout that Alison. These poor blokes didn't end up in the water. The wreckage was found on a beach apparently.
His didn't bounce either

I certainly didn't!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

"a Pinky aerie" - Alison - ashamed to say that in all my 47 years of driving heavier-than-air machines, and years of 'spotting' before that, I have never come across this type. Any information gratefully receved and added to my database.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:21 pm

While we are in 'down under' mode, have any of our upside down friends come across Phil Dunn ex RAAF? He was my instructor at CFS and I think he flew with the Red Pelicans display team. Must be in his 80's by now.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:21 pm
While we are in 'down under' mode, have any of our upside down friends come across Phil Dunn ex RAAF? He was my instructor at CFS and I think he flew with the Red Pelicans display team. Must be in his 80's by now.
Plenty to be found - search Googoo using 'Phil Dunn ex RAAF'.

February 19th 2014;-
Philip Dunn died in Canberra on February 17, aged 79

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:39 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm
"a Pinky aerie" - Alison - ashamed to say that in all my 47 years of driving heavier-than-air machines, and years of 'spotting' before that, I have never come across this type. Any information gratefully received and added to my database.
Pinky the Pilot, Sir, from these very pages. It's the one that still has him hobbling around on crutches to this day. No offence intended, Pinky. Should have known better. BN2A only acceptable aerie for PNG and FNQ bush pilots.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks for explaining, Alison.
G-CPTN wrote:Plenty to be found - search Googoo using 'Phil Dunn ex RAAF'.

February 19th 2014;-

Philip Dunn died in Canberra on February 17, aged 79
Thanks, wasted a lot of time Googling Phil Dunn Red Pelicans 'cos stupidly I forgot he actually flew one season (69) with the Red Arrows (HOW could I forget that!!)

Shame he has done his last trip. A great guy, who naturally acquired the nickname "not quite Dunn".

Solely responsible for dragging me kicking and screaming through the CFS course. Met his wife too at CFS - Ann, I think. Commiserations if anyone knows the family.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 am

No offence intended, Pinky.
None taken M'Lady. :-bd
BN2A only acceptable aerie for PNG and FNQ bush pilots.
Would tend to agree with that. However, I'm told that these days back in the Land of the Unexpected there are almost no BN2A's operating because Avgas is rather difficult to obtain. Almost everything is Avtur powered. Trying to think of one type of a/c used there nowadays but believe it is the PX750XL. Unsure if that is the correct designation.

Also; Any BN2A's left there would be extremely high time AF!

Re the original subject; TOP has a thread running and there is now a photo of the wreckage posted. Bit of a mess!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.