FAA vs. Han Solo

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

FAA vs. Han Solo

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 pm

FAA looking into a runway incident involving Harrison Ford

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/entertai ... index.html

(CNN)Harrison Ford is speaking out about a runway incident at a California airport last week.

The actor and longtime aviation enthusiast was piloting a plane at the Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles on April 24, when he crossed a runway where another aircraft was landing. [-X
"Mr. Ford crossed the airport's only runway in his aircraft after he misheard a radio instruction from ATC. He immediately acknowledged the mistake and apologized to ATC for the error," a representative for the actor told CNN in a statement on Wednesday. "The purpose of the flight was to maintain currency and proficiency in the aircraft. No one was injured and there was never any danger of a collision."
A spokesperson for the FAA told CNN the two aircraft were approximately 3600 feet apart at the time.
"The FAA is investigating an incident in which the pilot of an Aviat Husky taxied across the runway at Hawthorne Municipal Airport Friday afternoon while another aircraft was performing a touch-and-go landing," the FAA spokesperson said in an email statement.
This is not the first time that Ford has made headlines when it comes to his piloting. In 2015, he was hospitalized after an aircraft he was flying had to make a forced landing on a golf course. At the time, an investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board said that the plane's engine had failed.
In 1999, Ford has to make a emergency landing in a California riverbed while flying in a helicopter.

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: FAA vs. Han Solo

#2 Post by barkingmad » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Well he did star in “Blade Runner”, so I suppose it’s natural that he’s attracted to whirling bits of metal or glasssfibre? :))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:44 pm

This is, I believe, his second 'runway' incident? He had another back in ?2017? at John Wayne. You know what they say........... :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:48 pm

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by G~Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Have flown with him a few times, albeit a few years ago. This is so not a big deal......have landed there many times, a bigger issue would have been if he took off without turning right after take off and busted LAX airspace. As you can see from the chart clipping below:

Look at the dotted blue line that goes from the "A" in "Manhattan" north East.... Everything on the left side of that is in the LAX airspace, (where is has the broken box with "25" in it). Most people mistakenly think the Blue line above it denotes the airspace all the way to the ocean. So if you depart runway 25 at Hawthorne, you cannot fly direct to the ocean.
LAX.jpg
This is easier to see:
LAX2.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 am

Maybe it is time for Mr Ford to consider hanging up his goggles! Old father time and all that.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 am

I thought I had some old FAA literature somewhere 'starring'' Harrison Ford, and it was about preventing runway incursions!
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 am

TGG,a hard time for any pilot to make the decision to hang up his goggles. Maybe the argument is if he can judge when then he is still a good personal argument

Fliegenmong maybe he jinxed

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by G~Man » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:22 pm

From the audio, (posted on the other site), it appears this was not as bad as it sounds. He mis-heard the controller and did start to read back but got it backwards. The controller did not need to give the clearance and in doing so introduced some confusion:

B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:24 pm

He is, however, getting a bit of a reputation!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 am
TGG,a hard time for any pilot to make the decision to hang up his goggles. Maybe the argument is if he can judge when then he is still a good personal argument

Fliegenmong maybe he jinxed
Rwy you are right, and my original intent was to post, "hang up his foggles", corrected by my ever moronic "Smartphone"... I can't imagine the thought of giving up flying and I don't wish that on Mr Ford either, but perhaps as we get older we should demand less of our aching minds, that's all I say. Swap Class A airspace for G (here in the UK)... it is lovely up there...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."