Air India Express down at Kozhikode

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Air India Express down at Kozhikode

#21 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Too many unknowns. Judging by the height of the 28 g/a (2300 AGL) things were not good on 28. However, if LDR>LDA this happens, regardless of Vref++. Both recorders recovered.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot gets half my airline pension when I croak. If I had killed myself and half the pax due to proven pilot error would she still qualify? Guess it depends on the small print.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm

OK Ex-A will take out the whip when we met again but here it goes - although I hope some beers will spare me:

The Captain had a military background. I was told during my military indoctrination that military personnel doesn't argue with orders but accepts them right way and complete them. Then again when an officer gives an order he expects to be carried out. Now this doesn't fit well with CRM and airline flying when the Captain must say let's stop it and let's land somewhere else. I am not saying this is always the case but is it a valid thought for cases like this one or some other carriers beyond Western World?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Ach. Just another deep landing, with a tailwind, on a wet runway, a bit too fast.

Cant take a joke? Go by train.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm
OK Ex-A will take out the whip when we met again but here it goes - although I hope some beers will spare me:

The Captain had a military background. I was told during my military indoctrination that military personnel doesn't argue with orders but accepts them right way and complete them. Then again when an officer gives an order he expects to be carried out. Now this doesn't fit well with CRM and airline flying when the Captain must say let's stop it and let's land somewhere else. I am not saying this is always the case but is it a valid thought for cases like this one or some other carriers beyond Western World?
Thank you for the link RiS. Interesting. So the question is why did such an experienced pilot screw up? Over confident? Not as young as he used to be? F/O could have been half his age and would not argue with such a senior experienced pilot despite his Air India CRM training :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am

Ex-A would the age make a pilot more cautious preferring to divert or more willing to take risks knowing he can handle more challenging situations?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#27 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am
Ex-A would the age make a pilot more cautious preferring to divert or more willing to take risks knowing he can handle more challenging situations?
He was Indian for goodness sake. Different mind set to you and I. I would suggest your 2nd option.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Ex-A thanks for the double point.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by llondel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Interesting article on the aftermath of the crash about all the locals who rushed to help and are credited with saving the lives of crash victims. Now they're all stuck in quarantine in case they caught something from those they rescued.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53775311

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 pm

I hope Air India comes with a solution to help those in quarantine quick and generously.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by ricardian » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 am

Deadly plane crash blamed on human error
Pilot error and failure to follow safety guidelines probably led to the crash of an Air India Express plane in August last year, investigators say.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 am

ricardian wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 am
Deadly plane crash blamed on human error
Pilot error and failure to follow safety guidelines probably led to the crash of an Air India Express plane in August last year, investigators say.
Thanks Ricardian. They didn't need to have such a long inquiry they just needed to read into this thread.