Someone needs to buy a lottery ticket!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Someone needs to buy a lottery ticket!

#21 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:02 am
Your TOP T-shirt is in the post.
You are too kind.

The one with the group photo of all the Mods, I hope! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 13, 2021 2:23 pm

I have always found USA ATC very lax. A lot of at your own discretion. Cleared to land at somewhere once and they let a light enter the runway and cleared for take off. I purposely delayed the go around to frighten the ***** out of him. Did he look up the approach where a heavy four jet was bearing down on him?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 am

My entry for a TOP T-Shirt (see TGG post #19) is that whoever taught the Cirrus pilot to fly should have taught him to look-out, particularly when turning onto finals VFR.

I recall many yonks ago being in the RHS of a Dan 737-200 with steely Captain turning right base onto visual finals Agadir easterly, and my 'looking out' to see a single piston directly below us also on finals. He cleared by Agadir for ILS and we for visual without a mention of...... I reckon 200ft or less separation.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 15, 2021 8:03 am

Boac wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 am
My entry for a TOP T-Shirt (see TGG post #19) is that whoever taught the Cirrus pilot to fly should have taught him to look-out, particularly when turning onto finals VFR.

I recall many yonks ago being in the RHS of a Dan 737-200 with steely Captain turning right base onto visual finals Agadir easterly, and my 'looking out' to see a single piston directly below us also on finals. He cleared by Agadir for ILS and we for visual without a mention of...... I reckon 200ft or less separation.
You are quite right of course. Mark 1 eyeball is clearly the first and final arbiter when it comes to turning final for an aircraft flying VFR (and anywhere else)! The advent of the glass cockpit piston engine aircraft is a mixed blessing, methinks, the downside being that all that beautiful information, and the wonderful magenta line, inclines some to focus on the gizzrometry, and focus on that rather, than looking out!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Boac » Sun May 16, 2021 2:18 pm

It were an absolutely CLASSIC Swiss Cheese, with stupid aerodrome design and procedures (only in the US!), ATC errors and omissions, the Cirrus Crew not looking out, the Key Lime pilot not 'looking out' on a visual final and the geometry of the closure rendering visual avoidance extremely difficult.

Everyone was so lucky it worked out as it did once they dinged. Just look at the possibilities - a different single, pax/crew in the Key Lime, tail falls off the Key Lime or control otherwise lost, Cirrus crashes in a built-up area. Probably more.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun May 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:18 pm
It were an absolutely CLASSIC Swiss Cheese, with stupid aerodrome design and procedures (only in the US!), ATC errors and omissions, the Cirrus Crew not looking out, the Key Lime pilot not 'looking out' on a visual final and the geometry of the closure rendering visual avoidance extremely difficult.

Everyone was so lucky it worked out as it did once they dinged. Just look at the possibilities - a different single, pax/crew in the Key Lime, tail falls off the Key Lime or control otherwise lost, Cirrus crashes in a built-up area. Probably more.
+1
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 16, 2021 11:36 pm

The Cirrus pilot probably had his eyes on his Smartphone, sending some cryptic text message to a friend ? Or an Instagram photo of the "Beautiful day" he was about to enjoy after landing.