Belarus 'diverts' Ryanair flight

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Belarus 'diverts' Ryanair flight

#21 Post by tango15 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Personally, I don't think they would have hesitated to shoot down the aircraft if their orders had not been obeyed. They would have claimed a la KL007 and MH17 that they thought it was a military aircraft. The rest of the world muttered and tut-tutted over both those incidents, but little has been done since. In the case of MH17, I know that the Netherlands has launched a criminal investigation, but if Russia is involved, they are hardly likely to front up those responsible, so they will be tried and sentenced in absentia, which means little, apart from good income for the lawyers.

I see Dominic Raab has got himself involved, but it's nowt to do with us. Does he know we don't have an empire any longer?

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by tango15 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Yes. 'twould be interesting UP. I notice on TOP that VP 959 has stopped posting, which seems to be bothering a few people. I think my thoughts on the Skripal business are closer to yours than his, though.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 24, 2021 4:33 pm

TGG, I am convinced that the US did exactly the same to a civilian aircraft flying off shore in their FIR.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:33 pm
TGG, I am convinced that the US did exactly the same to a civilian aircraft flying off shore in their FIR.
As noted in the FT article, both the US and, indeed, the UK, are not without form here. Think of the "renditions" that occurred! The US has been flagrant in its lack of respect for international law in many areas, for years now and the Americans are matched only by the Israeli's in their arrogance and lawlessness in these matters.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon May 24, 2021 8:02 pm

A couple of comments as I had a chance to talk to an acquittance fairly well versed with the aviation scene in the departure country.

The operation was handled as a bomb threat exercise rather than an intercept. The bomb threat was timed to reach the decision makers as the aircraft was closer to Mink rather than Vilnus. As a reliable aviation journalist explained on TV, the Belarus did apply the bomb-threat guide book to have the aircraft landed in their country and "by chance" there was a suspect they wanted to interrogate on this flight. Very thinly disguised but they think it might work. The Belarus government even spoke about a specific threat.

And one more point: If the EU can't show its strength against a weak country how the EU thinks it can be a serious player worldwide?

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by Rossian » Mon May 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Is there an answer to the question "How many people got on the plane in Athens and how many got off in Vilnius finally?"

The Ancient Mariner

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 24, 2021 8:21 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:06 pm
Yes. 'twould be interesting UP. I notice on TOP that VP 959 has stopped posting, which seems to be bothering a few people. I think my thoughts on the Skripal business are closer to yours than his, though.
VP returned here last week. He says that despite his ban being lifted officially that he has been unable to post there.

They certainly know how to put people off.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Boac » Mon May 24, 2021 9:01 pm

I must admit, on reflection, that Protasevich missed a few tricks in flying on that route given that any emergency landing in Belarus would have spoilt his day. I think I would have found a way 'around'.
Rossian wrote:Is there an answer to the question "How many people got on the plane in Athens and how many got off in Vilnius finally?"
Depending on what you read/listen to, a definitive 3 or 5 :))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by llondel » Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 pm

This went by on Twitter today, FR showing no one in Belarus airspace.
fr.jpg

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by tango15 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:26 pm

I had a quick look at the postings on TOP today and came away pmsl. There is so much basic confusion, claim and counter-claim over Belarus by 50% of the posters that it is laughable. Whether there was a MiG and a Hind in attendance will probably never be known for certain, other than by those directly involved. I notice the Poles, having a significant border with Belarus, are saying very little about this, as well they might.

Vlad has never been happy that his access, other than by sea, to the exclave of Kaliningrad is via one or other of the NATO member countries which border it, and I am sure that many of the diplomats in the neighbouring countries see this whole issue as something of a potential powder keg.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Undried Plum » Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 am

The USA, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Austria combined to force down President Evo Morales’ jet in Vienna in 2013 after the CIA falsely reported whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board.

The monumental cynicism of these nations in sanctioning Belarus for a directly comparable action is sickening, even by the standards of Western hypocrisy. Indeed, to force down a Presidential jet covered by diplomatic immunity is a greater offence to international law than Belarus forcing down the Ryanair flight.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed May 26, 2021 7:08 am

That's the trouble with Internet. Old grey heads with nowt to do remember things. Politicos are selectively blind and journos sub editors were probably in school.

I knew the US had done something like that and was convinced it was off the US. At least had it been over a communist state it might have been a rogue missile.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Boac » Wed May 26, 2021 7:51 am

Love the 'unity' in the EU!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Woody » Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am

Looks like the Eyeties have surrendered already :((

When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by llondel » Thu May 27, 2021 3:50 am

Depends, if a flight takes off and heads off somewhere, there isn't much you can do except shoot it down or wait for it to land and impound it.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Boac » Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 am

There appear to be some aspects of EU unity (which obviously need to be stamped on) https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/B2869 and Poland has banned Belarusian carriers from its airspace.

Whatever next?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Boac » Thu May 27, 2021 7:06 am

I wrote:Whatever next?
Next: https://t.co/BBrDwrH9e6?amp=1

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 27, 2021 9:30 am

EA01 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:25 am
UP, .......you are saying Skripal & His Daughter were poisoned by the British Government?? Is that right??
Almost right.

I'm quite certain that the HMG version of events is hogwash. Totally non-credible. I don't believe the two GRU goons poisoned Skripal's door-handle. I don't believe that the UKUSA authorities would have allowed Skripal to return to his motherland, as he had intended.

I think the GRU goons were simply couriers to deliver the necessary travel papers to enable him to leave the country.

I don't think there was any intent to kill him with military-grade nerve agent. Certainly not any intent by the Russkies who stood to gain a huge treasure trove of Int material from him on his repatriation to his motherland which has changed almost beyond recognition from the old Soviet days.

It's a wee bit off-topic on this thread, but I'll explain more another time and place hereabouts.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by EA01 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:04 pm

....I look forward to it!...I do indeed!...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 27, 2021 4:38 pm