Cold comfort at Keflavik!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Cold comfort at Keflavik!

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:24 pm

Icelandic investigators believe a Primera Air Nordic Boeing 737-800 overran at Reykjavik’s Keflavik airport, almost colliding with the localiser structure, after landing long on a shortened runway which had only been partially cleared of snow.

Investigation authority RNSA found that runway 19 – operating with a displaced threshold owing to construction work – had been swept just before the aircraft made an initial landing attempt, during which the crew opted to execute a go-around.

The braking coefficient after the sweep was 40, just at the threshold of being categorised as ‘good’. But RNSA says the braking action probably “deteriorated quickly” as snow continued to fall.

While the snowploughs were scheduled to move to the parallel taxiway E, the sweeping supervisor asked to travel to the taxiway via runway 19.
The tower controller “presumed” the snowploughs would travel the length of the runway and vacate at the end, says the inquiry.

But instead the snowploughs only partially swept the runway, over a length of 1,070m and width of 25m, before vacating to taxiway E. The sweeping supervisor did not clarify to the tower that the snowploughs had only travelled part-way along the runway before exiting.

Under Keflavik snow-removal procedures the active runway was supposed to be continuously prioritised, to achieve braking coefficient of at least 38 over a 45m width, before taxiways and aprons were swept. These procedures were “not adhered to”, says the inquiry.

The inquiry says maintaining ‘good’ braking action was “particularly difficult” in the snowy conditions, adding that communications between the sweeping supervisor and the tower were “lacking discussion” of the runway condition after the 737’s go-around and its second approach.

It states that the 737 crew could have requested updated braking action while the tower could also have been more pro-active in updating the crew about the runway condition – but notes that the tower controller had been “quite busy” because he was also overseeing Keflavik ground movements at the time.

The crew had selected an autobrake setting which was close to the available shortened landing distance of 2,182m, but the captain – who was flying – intended to switch to maximum manual braking after touchdown.

During the descent the captain saw the runway approach lights at about 600ft, above the decision altitude of 440ft. But the displaced threshold meant there was a “long gap” with no lights, says the inquiry.

“This resulted in the flight crew losing visual sight of the approach lights, after passing over them, without having the runway yet in sight,” it adds. Cockpit-voice recorder information suggests the pilots did not see the precision-approach path indicator lamps until 13-15s after the aircraft’s automated ‘minimum’ call-out.
https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/pri ... 04.article

79497_primera737incidentcrnsa_121117.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Cold comfort at Keflavik!

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

I had an 'incident' at KEF with a 737 landing on 01 in winter/snow/ice. "BA Good" was the message. It certainly was until I got to the top end to make the 90 left to the apron. Absolutely no "BA" there!! Reversers in, nosewheel probably at 90 and lots of throttle juggling to get an asymmetric thrust and we swung excitedly around the corner (would have been exciting around row 30... :)) )

I had the usual management ankle-biters snapping at me (you see, I had foolishly reported the incident :)) ) and I could hear the sharpening of knives in the background. Luckily our FSO (thanks. mate) came up with the news that the thresholds on 01 were not grooved like the rest of the runway (big secret) and it was thus effectively sheet ice in the last 1000ft. Shortly thereafter it was put into the Notams at KEF! That picture nearly could have been me.....

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm
I had an 'incident' at KEF with a 737 landing on 01 in winter/snow/ice. "BA Good" was the message. It certainly was until I got to the top end to make the 90 left to the apron. Absolutely no "BA" there!! Reversers in, nosewheel probably at 90 and lots of throttle juggling to get an asymmetric thrust and we swung excitedly around the corner (would have been exciting around row 30... :)) )

I had the usual management ankle-biters snapping at me (you see, I had foolishly reported the incident :)) ) and I could hear the sharpening of knives in the background. Luckily our FSO (thanks. mate) came up with the news that the thresholds on 01 were not grooved like the rest of the runway (big secret) and it was thus effectively sheet ice in the last 1000ft. Shortly thereafter it was put into the Notams at KEF! That picture nearly could have been me.....
You were literally skating on thin ice! Glad it all worked out for you. Might have put a brake on your BA action (or whoever you were flying for). One should never assume that the monicker describes the man entirely! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:48 pm

That was Astraeus. BA were not brave enough to operate that far north................ :))

(Oh, those Icelandic ladies...................)

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by tango15 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:31 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:48 pm
That was Astraeus. BA were not brave enough to operate that far north................ :))

I seem to remember that BA had a bit of a 'thing' about KEF. I was told (don't know if it's true) that they wouldn't even use it for crew training. In my days of us coaxing the 748 that far north, we used to use REK, but perhaps the agricultural Darts were too much for the locals, because they've banned 'big' aircraft now.

Re Icelandic ladies, I always wondered why the Iceair ladies seemed like refugees from Russian hotel floors, complete with attitude. The ladies in town are perfectly acceptable, but obviously prefer fish-filleting to flying :))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:13 am

tango15 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Boac wrote:

I seem to remember that BA had a bit of a 'thing' about KEF. I was told (don't know if it's true) that they wouldn't even use it for crew training. In my days of us coaxing the 748 that far north, we used to use REK, but perhaps the agricultural Darts were too much for the locals, because they've banned 'big' aircraft now.

Re Icelandic ladies, I always wondered why the Iceair ladies seemed like refugees from Russian hotel floors, complete with attitude. The ladies in town are perfectly acceptable, but obviously prefer fish-filleting to flying :))
Yes we used REK for the 748 as well. Always a good service. On the way home we would swap a bottle of scotch for a salmon with the agent.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by tango15 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:36 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:13 am
tango15 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Boac wrote:

Yes we used REK for the 748 as well. Always a good service. On the way home we would swap a bottle of scotch for a salmon with the agent.
Aha! Was this in the days of alcohol being banned in Iceland? I remember them well! :))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am

Not sure T15. Stayed once overnight and they served alcohol for which you needed a mortgage.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:03 am

My first foray into the giddy nightlife of Reykjanesbaer with a couple of other Gatwick based crew (on UK 'allowances') caused a near heart failure upon ordering a beer.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:38 am

Used to like staying in the Arctic Inn at Sondrestrom. Rooms were basic but you went across to the USAF aircrew mess to dine and got paid Danish allowances. The only off putting aspect were the Eskimo strippers :ymsick:

The aircrew mess was a good concept you didn't get split up from your NCOs and with a bit of luck the Flt Eng would buy you a drink. OK, a lot of luck.

Used to have problems with our Cpl stewards on the rare occasions we were dumped on a Royal Air Force base. They had to report to the Guard Room and collect a bedding roll and find an empty bed. Someone would usually lend them a set of Sgt's stripes.