Parachutists Worst Nightmare...Landing In An Airplane.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:17 pm

At least 9 killed after twin-engine plane crash-lands in southwest Siberia

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/772929
https://www.rt.com/russia/527019-plane- ... y-landing/

At least 9 killed after twin-engine plane crash-lands in southwest Siberia

Several people were killed and over a dozen injured after a twin-engine Let L-410 aircraft made an emergency landing in Russia’s Kemerovo Oblast in southwestern Siberia. A total of 19 people were on board the plane.
The twin-jet aircraft, belonging to a local chapter of the DOSAAF paramilitary sport group, crash-landed on Saturday.

The plane suffered an engine failure shortly after takeoff, with the pilots attempting to land it. The aircraft, however, hit the ground with its wing and overturned, chief of Kemerovo DOSAAF, Viktor Shemohanov, told TASS
According to my information, two crew members and seven parachutists were killed, nine people in total. There were 17 parachutists and two crew members on board,” Shemohanov stated.

It remains unclear what caused the fatal engine failure as the plane was in good technical condition and had performed its fourth flight already that day, Shemohanov said.

Regional Governor Sergey Tsivilev put the death toll at a lower figure, stating that the crash had killed four people and left 15 injured, with four of them sustaining critical injuries.

According to Russian media reports, businessman and ruble billionaire Timur Frank, co-owner of one of Kemerovo’s large coal mines, was among the parachutists. He survived the crash and was hospitalized in a critical condition. A local MP, Alexandr Friling, was also on board and survived the accident with a fractured ankle.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Parachutists Worst Nightmare...Landing In An Airplane.

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:44 am

I was talking to one of the helicopter instructors over a cup of coffee at Headcorn two weeks ago about one of my "fine expedited landings" on the short unlicensed cross runway 03/21 to avoid yet another gaggle of parachutists, when he mentioned the fatal accident on that very same runway that had befallen a Turbo Beaver, packed with meat bombs at the end of a very busy day back in 2007. The aircraft overran, as a result of the fatigued pilot forgetting to select take off flap, and it hit a static display aircraft outside the museum at the end of that very short runway. Sadly the pilot was killed. All the parachutists (save for 1), sitting, unrestrained on the floor, facing backwards, were uninjured.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _12-07.pdf

Beaver.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:26 am

Wonder if they were overloaded. Can't remember the figure but you can't calculate on standard weights for parachutists.They carry a lot of clobber and most are large chaps.

I have only had to turn back twice with paras on board and yes they hate it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm

According to wiki, and it depends on the actual aircraft, but 19 pob and just under 4,000lbs. So 17 pob plus kit could have been pretty near the limit, though they might have removed the seats?

TGGs message might be close, what about fuel, as in not enough?

And of course we don't have either the METAR or the TOP analysts here.