Skydive aircraft crash Sweden

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Skydive aircraft crash Sweden

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:18 am

A skydive aircraft went down in Sweden yesterday. All nine on board killed. No details yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... lling-nine
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Skydive aircraft crash Sweden

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 am

The Swedes have previous with this kind of skydiving disaster if I remember the threads here in the past correctly?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4636
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:01 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 am
The Swedes have previous with this kind of skydiving disaster if I remember the threads here in the past correctly?
It says in that article:
In a similar accident, nine people died in northern Sweden in 2019 when a plane carrying skydivers crashed shortly after takeoff. The crash investigation showed the plane had been improperly loaded.
Don't quite understand this. In the considerable number of drops I have done the seats are all stripped out and the pax crammed in. Never thought of weight and balance.

And sorry I forgot, [-X not sure of the time involved.
METAR ESOE 081320Z AUTO 23003KT 190V280 9999 BKN064/// 23/15 Q1021=

METAR ESOE 081250Z AUTO VRB03KT 9999 FEW074/// SCT098/// 24/14 Q1021=

METAR ESOE 081220Z AUTO 31005KT 280V350 9999 SCT042/// BKN082/// 23/15 Q1021=

METAR ESOE 081150Z AUTO 18006KT 120V210 9999 FEW040/// 25/15 Q1022=
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:30 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:01 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 am
It says in that article:
In a similar accident, nine people died in northern Sweden in 2019 when a plane carrying skydivers crashed shortly after takeoff. The crash investigation showed the plane had been improperly loaded.
Don't quite understand this. In the considerable number of drops I have done the seats are all stripped out and the pax crammed in. Never thought of weight and balance.
The previous accident report came out last year apparently.

The final report was issued on 9 September, 2020. This report concluded that, approximately 30 seconds before the parachutists were due to jump, the aircraft stalled and subsequently entered cloud in a rapid and accelerating descent. Lack of pilot experience and loss of visual cues precluded a subsequent recovery to controlled flight. Excessive loads experienced during the uncontrolled descent led to the break-up of the aircraft.

SHK calculated that the aircraft was probably overweight at takeoff with a centre of gravity (cg) aft of the permitted limit and noted that normal preparations for a parachuting run would have been expected to cause the cg to shift further aft at a time coincident with the stall. The resultant loss of longitudinal stability, combined with already low and decreasing airspeed at a time of high pilot workload probably led to the departure from controlled flight.

The report observed that:

No mass and balance calculations had been carried out prior to the accident flight, and that parachuting operators in Sweden had no means of performing such calculations routinely.

Although legally qualified to operate the flight, the pilot was inexperienced in parachuting operations and that there was no formal training mechanism available for the development and qualification of jump pilots.

Parachutists were generally unaware of the importance of respecting mass and balance limits and the accident aircraft carried no markings or notices to enable them to comply with these limits.

Corresponding recommendations to the European Aviation Safety Agency and the Swedish Transport Agency were made.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydive_U ... rvan_crash

It would be a grave pity if the current accident is attributed to the same cause!

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/articl ... nd-beaver/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 am

Thanks GG. I was thinking that there was a change in CofG as they all climbed out and were hanging on wing roots the sides of the door etc to all jump as a group. That was always a struggle with the controls and occasionally IMC. However there can't have been anyone outside as they all died.

It was impossible to calculate weight and balance for every flight. They were hot turn arounds. All the pilot knew was POB and levels to drop. Average weight per person allowed for the kit.

Odd that he stalled, must have really screwed up. We had quite a few Airvans here. I have flown them a number of times. You can hold them close to the stall and rotate through 360°using the rudder almost on the spot. A 60° bank turn is easy, very versatile. I persuaded one of the pilots to let me play. There wsa only us on board.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 am

Something lost in translation?
“It’s a very severe accident,” Swedish police said on their website. “Several people have died.”