Alaskan teen passenger causes plane to nosedive after taking over controls

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Alaskan teen passenger causes plane to nosedive after taking over controls

#1 Post by llondel » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:51 pm

This one's scary. No cockpit door. I also learned that there's a Ryan Air in Alaska.
JUNEAU, Alaska — A passenger on a small plane bound for a tiny western Alaska community said he tried to end his life when he took control of the plane's yoke and caused it to nosedive before the pilot was able to regain control and safely land the aircraft, Alaska State Troopers said.

The incident occurred Wednesday on a flight between Bethel and Aniak, which is about 90 miles northeast of Bethel. Troopers said a preliminary investigation indicated that an 18-year-old passenger got up from his seat and took control of the yoke before the pilot was able to regain control of the plane with help from passengers.

The man told Trooper Jason Bohac he tried to end his life while on the plane and indicated he had spoken with behavioral health officials before but felt it hadn't helped, according to an affidavit by Bohac that accompanied assault and attempted assault charges.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/al ... d_nn_tw_ma

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Alaskan teen passenger causes plane to nosedive after taking over controls

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Caravans have an optional cargo barrier which makes it difficult to go between the passenger compartment and cockpit.
I've flown them with and without.
No barrier makes it easier to interact with passengers, ie. giving a tour or charter.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Alaskan teen passenger causes plane to nosedive after taking over controls

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:00 am

For a moment there I had wondered if this had been a voluntary relinquishment of the controls, as in this case...

Aeroflot 593

There is no speaking for the lunatic element in passengers I guess.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."