PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Typically Bad Aviation Reporting

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:07 am

Landing gear falls off a plane after landing :-o

https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 7b189cd526

Landing gear falls off a plane after landing at Chandler airport
Officials said there were no injuries and only the pilot was aboard the aircraft.

CHANDLER, Ariz. — The landing gear on an airplane fell off after it landed at Chandler Municipal Airport in Chandler, Saturday morning.

Officials said right main landing gear of a single-engine Rockwell Aero Commander 200D collapsed after the pilot landed, just after 9 a.m.

The incident happened after landing, while the plane was moving off of the runway.

The pilot was the only one on board and there were no injuries or fire, officials said.

Why, WHY, WHY is this stuff so hard? ~X( [-X L-) :((

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Typically Bad Aviation Reporting

#2 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:28 am

I think it's because the youngsters who write this stuff have no real knowledge about anything much more than the latest pop video. They also have the requirement to big up all the headlines as large as possible to attract the readership. 'Undercarriage collapses on light aircraft as it leaves the runway' is nowhere near as exciting as, say, 'near death experience of pilot as wheels fall off his plane'.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by tango15 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:01 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:28 am
I think it's because the youngsters who write this stuff have no real knowledge about anything much more than the latest pop video. They also have the requirement to big up all the headlines as large as possible to attract the readership. 'Undercarriage collapses on light aircraft as it leaves the runway' is nowhere near as exciting as, say, 'near death experience of pilot as wheels fall off his plane'.
+1 And to think we used to have people like Raymond Baxter.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by boing » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:52 am

Fairly typical newspaper reporting.

I think we forget that we are in one of the "secret and solitary" activities that are difficult for us to adequately describe and even more difficult for outsiders to understand. We have seen the runway lights break out of the overcast at 200 feet in a snowstorm, we have dodged "cu nims" that would tear the wings off the aircraft if we made a mistake. We have flown 400 passengers for 12 hours over an open ocean and slept and eaten and joked as though it was a Sunday afternoon drive. When a reporter starts his guff about an incident we remember similar incidents that happened to ourselves or our friends.

The reporter thinks in terms of a blown tyre being an emergency situation whereas we think of anything that does not involve a fireball being fairly routine. I personally sigh and forgive them their lack of knowledge.

And, of course, Raymond Baxter had the advantage of "been there, done that, got the T-shirt".

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:59 am

Can't remember his name, but the aviation reporter for the U.K. Financial Times ( the pink 'un) was the only one I ever believed in my professional time. Knowledgable and concise, worth reading. Unfortunately, a request for the F.T. on the flight deck always brought accusations of successful financial dealings - unjustified unfortunately.