Laser Yobs in Edinburgh

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Laser Yobs in Edinburgh

#1 Post by FD2 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:15 am

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... rd-3363401

Laser pen yobs target aircraft above Edinburgh four times in under two months - including helicopter with seriously ill child on board

Laser lights have been shone at aircraft in the skies above Edinburgh four times in the past two months, sparking a warning from Police Scotland.

In one incident last month, the pilot of an air ambulance transferring a seriously ill child to hospital in the Capital had to abandon the landing after a laser light was shone into the cockpit for 30 seconds. After trying to land a second time and being targeted again, the pilot was forced to divert the helicopter to Edinburgh Airport.

I suspect these people are youngsters - 'neds' (non-educated delinquents) - who think it's a bit like a PlayStation game. What can be done to persuade them it's not a game? Personally I think they need some public humiliation. Bring back the stocks!

Laser pen yobs target aircraft above Edinburgh four times in under two months.png
Laser pen yobs target aircraft above Edinburgh four times in under two months.png (505.5 KiB) Viewed 481 times

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Laser Yobs in Edinburgh

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:14 am

I believe the Met Police helicopters have a laser detecting gizmo which can the locate the co-ords of the emanating laser almost instantaneously.

It's a great pity that Scotland wants to pretend to be somehow separate from the UK and that political forces preclude inviting some co-operation with London so that a Met aircraft could be borrowed for a couple of nights to track the Neds.

A few years ago there was a problem of some arsehole with a VHF handheld issuing bogus ATC instructions on Embra Twr frequency 'for a larf'. VDF mobile units were deployed across the city and soon tracked the bastard down and he was duly dealt with by the Law. That operation was before the SNP took power, so probably couldn't be repeated nowadays as it involved UK assets, not local ones.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 am

Technology such a lasers should not be available to the brain dead, of which there are many in society. Lobotomise the bastards and be done with it. Keep em alive and then harvest their organs, save for their micro brains which are not even fit for cat food...

As you can see I am in a reasonable mood today... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#4 Post by jimtherev » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:52 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 am

As you can see I am in a reasonable mood today... =))
Yes, come on; don't be so mealy-mouthed. Tell us what you are really trying to say.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:56 am

There is enough mostly off the shelf tech stuff to allow a little something to ride the beam back down to its source.
A few unfortunate incidents of exploding lasers would surely put an end to lasing aircraft.

PP

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:23 am

There is enough mostly off the shelf tech stuff to allow a little something to ride the beam back down to its source.
A few unfortunate incidents of exploding lasers would surely put an end to lasing aircraft.
There are Surface to Air Missiles (SAMS) so are there not Air to Surface Missiles?

One of those, designed to follow the laser beam back down to its origin would fix the problem rather quickly, one would imagine. :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:56 am

Are not those Hooligans from Hereford skilled in the arts of laser designated targeting?
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am

Not only those chaps, but also the weekend warriors of the Territorial Army who practice with anti-tank laser guided weapons. Their weapon is also used as a low level SAM, so they practice with dummy or empty rounds.

The navy also has blinding laser weapons which they use to deter low/close flying aircraft, but they usually give a warning on 121.5. I can't remember the last time I kept a listening watch on 121.5 while flying a GA light aircraft. :ymblushing: