PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Citation 560X Crash

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:52 pm

4 dead after jet crashes into Connecticut building

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/4- ... g-n1278387

4 dead after jet crashes into Connecticut building
The Cessna Citation 560X business jet crashed in Farmington, west of the capital Hartford, as it was on its way to North Carolina, the FAA said.

Sept. 2, 2021, 12:08 PM MST
By Tim Fitzsimons
Four people are dead after a small jet crashed into a Connecticut building early Thursday, according to police.

The four people included two pilots and two passengers, the Farmington Police Department said.

The Cessna Citation 560X business jet crashed in Farmington, a suburb west of Hartford, into a building on the campus of German manufacturing company Trumpf, according to the FAA.

FAA officials said the plane had taken off from Robertson Field Airport in nearby Plainville and was en route to Dare County Regional Airport in North Carolina.

At a press conference, the Farmington police said they received an emergency call at 9:52 a.m. and that witnesses said the plane had trouble after takeoff and that it hit the ground before crashing into the structure.

First responders could not run toward the plane because it was "fully engulfed" in flames, police said.

No employees at the Trumpf building were injured, according to police.

A local school briefly brought children indoors to protect them from smoke from the fire, according to NBC Connecticut.

"I’m on the way to Farmington to assess the recent plane crash with emergency management personnel. My prayers are with those on the ground and with the souls on board," Gov. Ned Lamont said in a tweet.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash; the FAA said that neither agency will comment on the identities of the people involved in the accident.

The Farmington Police Department said the investigation will take several days.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Citation 560X Crash

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 am

Wonder if it had FDR and CVR. Not a legal requirement but anyone know if they are normal for exec jets? Probably an additional extra to keep the weight down.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Police release names of four who died in Farmington plane crash

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/h ... story.html

As investigators comb through the scene, police on Friday released the names of the four people who died when a plane crashed into a Farmington manufacturer Thursday morning.

The two pilots have been identified as William O’Leary, 55, from Bristol, Conn. and Mark Morrow, 57, from Danbury, Conn., and the two passengers have been identified as Courtney Haviland, 33, and her husband, William Shrauner, 31, both doctors from Boston, Mass.

“The Farmington Police Department extends their deepest condolences to the friends and family of the four passengers who died in this tragic crash,” police said in a written statement.

The crash happened about 9:50 a.m., when the four had just taken off from the nearby Robertson Airport in Plainville. The twin-engine, Cessna Citation 560XL was headed to the Dare County Regional Airport in Manteo, N.C.

Four killed when plane crashes into Farmington building »
The 13-seat corporate jet hit the ground soon outside the TRUMPF manufacturing at 111 Hyde Road and slammed into the side of the building, authorities said. The plane appeared to be having a mechanical failure, they said, although what caused the crash is at the center of the ongoing investigation by the National Transportation and Safety Board.

No one in the TRUMPF building died, although two were injured.

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 am
Wonder if it had FDR and CVR. Not a legal requirement but anyone know if they are normal for exec jets? Probably an additional extra to keep the weight down.
There was no hard and fast rule about this when I was in the game. Corporate and charter aircraft tended to have both (though not all of them), depending on where they were operating, A few of the private ones had them fitted, but they were in the minority.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 am

The victims of the Farmington plane crash include two veteran pilots and a couple who left a 1-year-old son behind; report says wife was pregnant with a girl

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/h ... story.html

The victims of Thursday’s fiery plane crash in Farmington included two veteran pilots from Connecticut and a couple who left a one-year-old son behind.

The couple, Courtney Haviland, 33, and her husband, William Shrauner, 31, are both doctors from Boston. Haviland is a Farmington native who graduated in 2006 from Farmington High School. In addition to a 1-year-old son, Fox 61 quoted a family friend as saying Haviland was pregnant with a girl.

Ben Shrauner, Will’s brother, posted a remembrance of the couple on Facebook.

“It doesn’t seem real that I am actually typing this … yesterday morning my little brother Will and his wife, Courtney, died in a plane crash. Their son Teddy was not traveling with them, and is safe,” Ben Shrauner wrote.

“Will was the best mix of all my siblings. He had Justin’s intelligence, Sarah’s loving heart, and hopefully something good from me. Courtney was a perfect match for him. Smart, beautiful, witty, charismatic, and always fun to be around. Two really special people that are gone way too soon.”

After graduating from Farmington High School, Haviland went to college at Brown University, Weill Cornell Medical College for medical school and completed her residency in pediatrics at Massachusetts General Hospital. Shrauner was a cardiology fellow at Boston Medical Center.

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of one of our cardiology fellows, Dr. Will Shrauner, and his wife, Dr. Courtney Haviland,” Boston Medical Center said in a written statement. “Will, a second year fellow at Boston Medical Center, was well known as an outstanding educator, physician, colleague and friend to many. Our thoughts and prayers are with Will and Courtney’s family and loved ones.”

Veteran pilots
The two pilots killed in the crash have been identified as William O’Leary, 55, from Bristol, and Mark Morrow, 57, from Danbury. The plane, a twin-engine, Cessna Citation 560XL was headed to the Dare County Regional Airport on the Outer Banks of North Carolina when it crashed on takeoff from Plainville’s Robertson Airport.

“The Farmington Police Department extends their deepest condolences to the friends and family of the four passengers who died in this tragic crash,” Lt. Timothy McKenzie said.

Morrow was a longtime pilot who graduated in the 1980s from the Florida Institute of Technology, which has advanced aviation and aeronautics programs, before spending two years working for Lufthansa Airlines in Hamburg, Germany, according to his LinkedIn resume.

Morrow also worked for almost 12 years as a manager at IBM and before that as head of a Danbury manufacturing company before becoming a pilot full time. He was an active airline transport pilot, flight instructor and held mechanic certifications with the FAA, federal records show.

O’Leary was the son of William O’Leary Sr., who operated Interstate Aviation at Robertson Airport in Plainville for about 40 years, according to Town Manager Robert Lee.

[Breaking News] Attorney General Tong seeks state custody of pit bulls seized from suspected illegal dog fighting ring in Meriden »
The victim “was a fixture there for many years, he learned to fly jets for Interstate and was one of the primary people they used to do that,” Lee said. “By all accounts he was dependable, reliable and a very good pilot.”

O’Leary is remembered as a friend and mentor to Nick Scata, president of Interstate Aviation.

“His loss has devastated all of us at Interstate Aviation,” Scata said.

Four killed when plane crashes into Farmington building »
The crash happened about 9:50 a.m., when the four had just taken off from the nearby airport in Plainville.

The 13-seat corporate jet hit the ground outside TRUMPF Inc. 111 Hyde Road, soon after takeoff and slammed into a corner of the building. The plane appeared to be having a mechanical failure, officials said, although what caused the crash is at the center of the ongoing investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board. The NTSB investigators are expected to be on the scene throughout the weekend.

In the TRUMPF building, two workers were injured. A company spokeswoman declined to elaborate on their injuries Friday but said they were still being treated.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 am

Good news about the pit bulls.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:52 am

tango15 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:30 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 am
There was no hard and fast rule about this when I was in the game. Corporate and charter aircraft tended to have both (though not all of them), depending on where they were operating, A few of the private ones had them fitted, but they were in the minority.
Thank you T15 thought that you would answer that one for us.

Yes indeed Boac,
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:11 am

Doesn't sound very good from a piloting p.o.v. Juan Browne has a comprehensive run-down on the crash. Seems to have been missing a 'stop' call.....................

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:41 am

Juan Browne's report, excellent as ever, leads this wild theorist to think that the take off run was commenced with the parking brake still on. This happened to a different model Citation here at Leeds Bradford with a better outcome in that there were no fatalities.

No Stop call as Boac has indicated, confusion between the pilots with throttles still set even as toe brakes were being applied.

All supposition on my part, but that's the way I roll!

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/74703

From the AAIB report on this Cessna 525 CitationJet CJ1 accident...
The parking brake is set by applying and holding
footbrake pressure from either seat position and then
pulling a parking brake handle underneath the left
instrument panel. This action traps the applied pressure in
the brake lines such that, when the footbrake is released,
the pressure at the brakes remains. If the parking brake
handle is pulled with no footbrake pressure applied,
no pressure will be present in the brakes. However,
any subsequent footbrake pressure will be trapped and
maintained, regardless of whether it is a full or partial
demand, until the parking brake lever is returned to off.
It is understood that the performance of the parking
brake with full pressure applied is such that the wheels
will remain locked even against a full power application
on both engines.
https://www.smartcockpit.com/aircraft-r ... rical.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by unifoxos » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:21 am

Question - would the ABS be active with the parking brake on? The photos appeared to show it activating.

As another (really) wild theorist - do these a/c have FADEC? Can it jam fully on?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Indeed, uni. Juan's bit clearly shows anti-skid indication AND only one 'locked' (starboard) wheel. All very odd.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:30 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:16 pm
Indeed, uni. Juan's bit clearly shows anti-skid indication AND only one 'locked' (starboard) wheel. All very odd.
Possibly the starboard brakes brakes bound due to heating?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:39 pm

I don't know enough about the system, but I would have thought it unlikely at the start of the trip, and if a 'locked brake' as you say I don't think it would have 'anti-skid-skidded'.

What I don't get is the resulting slow accel. + apparently cycling a/skid and a pull to the right did not call for a stop. It is obvious the jet was only airborne because of the elevated (20ft) runway end. It only flew 1200ft.

I doubt the NTSB will be able to find much.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:27 pm

There have been multiple incidents and accidents associated with the parking brake been left on in a number of Citation models. My guess (pending the NTSB report) is that the parking brake will have been left partially on from before the commencement of taxying, with each dab on the toe bakes increasing the reservoir pressure and rolling resistance, thus also grossly increasing the caliper temperatures even before the take off run which resulted in sub par acceleration and performance and then, possibly, due to the extreme brake heating, one or both of the calipers started to bind intermittently resulting in directional control issues, anti-lock/skid activation, and then, belatedly, one of the pilots then pushed hard on the toe brakes resulting in both wheels locking completely with little of no runway left as the aircraft overran and the accident unfolded. I will now wait two years for the NSTB report to find out how wrong I am. Why the pilots waited so long to react to the situation, on a marginal length runway is the real mystery as Boac says. Did they reduce the throttles, did they activate the speed brakes/spoilers? Did they make the V1 call out?

Another CItation, another braking incident...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 024592.pdf
The commander considered that any reduction in take-off performance from Runway 22 had not been
apparent because of the unusual perspective associated with the particularly long runway
(11,811 feet). Furthermore, trials conducted by the operator, subsequent to the accident, showed that
it was possible to move the aircraft at speed with partial parking brake selected.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Wow. :-o
Just WOW. :-o :-o
Good analysis from Juan Browne. ^:)^

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:21 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:57 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:27 pm
There have been multiple incidents and accidents associated with the parking brake been left on in a number of Citation models. My guess (pending the NTSB report) is that the parking brake will have been left partially on from before the commencement of taxying, with each dab on the toe bakes increasing the reservoir pressure and rolling resistance, thus also grossly increasing the caliper temperatures even before the take off run which resulted in sub par acceleration and performance and then, possibly, due to the extreme brake heating, one or both of the calipers started to bind intermittently resulting in directional control issues, anti-lock/skid activation, and then, belatedly, one of the pilots then pushed hard on the toe brakes resulting in both wheels locking completely with little of no runway left as the aircraft overran and the accident unfolded. I will now wait two years for the NSTB report to find out how wrong I am. Why the pilots waited so long to react to the situation, on a marginal length runway is the real mystery as Boac says. Did they reduce the throttles, did they activate the speed brakes/spoilers? Did they make the V1 call out?

Another CItation, another braking incident...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 024592.pdf
The commander considered that any reduction in take-off performance from Runway 22 had not been
apparent because of the unusual perspective associated with the particularly long runway
(11,811 feet). Furthermore, trials conducted by the operator, subsequent to the accident, showed that
it was possible to move the aircraft at speed with partial parking brake selected.
I am deeply affected by the deep criticism, implied by the echoing silence, of my rash and reckless, presumption of cause in this sad accident, based on little or no hard evidence in this case. We are so sensible here, being slow and sagacious in our judgements, and so measured in our criticisms of those poor fools (like me) who are apt to venture their wild opinions! In other less rarified atmospheres, I would have been dismissed, my credentials called into question, and probably banned for my effrontery! Here there is the discombobulation of silence, and the sense of those who know, just shaking their heads and saying, sotto voce, let the poor fool have his say, the lad will learn in time =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:06 pm

Only just been able to watch this Juan Browne clip. Never heard of him but an outstanding presentation.

He does say that they had a FDR. Given that report it doesn't seem as if they got to V1. Is this aircraft cleared for single pilot operations? They may not have been operating as multi crew with calls and cross checks.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:32 pm

ex_A wrote:Never heard of him
well worth bookmarking his YouTube channels - he pushes out some good stuff.

Not sure about an FDR - I did not hear him say that and I would be surprised. There were 2 'pilots' on board, but in what roles we do not know. Presumably the wreckage will tell.

Still very puzzling that it appears only 1 wheel was being max braked. I cannot fathom this out at all. As for 'V1' (if they had worked one out?), we just do not know. It is pretty certain they did not reach Vr!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#20 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Sorry can't get the clip again. Mrs Ex-Ascot thinks that he said CVR.

For goodness sake with that deviation from the centre line and the lack of acceleration a few brain alarm bells must have rung.

Boac:
It is pretty certain they did not reach Vr!
They may have done in the descent off the end of the runway but just didn't make it over the factory.