Daily Mailworthy Aviation Accident Reporting

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Daily Mailworthy Aviation Accident Reporting

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 pm

A small plane crashed into a backyard in Houston. All four people on board walked away

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/07/us/houst ... index.html

A small plane carrying four people crashed into a backyard in Houston on Friday, and all four people on board walked away.

Officials responded to a report of a small-engine aircraft crash less than 10 miles from Houston’s Hobby Airport around 4 p.m.

“Four civilians were aboard the aircraft at the time of the crash, all self-extricated, with no injuries reported,” the Houston Fire Department said on Twitter. “Houston Fire received reports of a gazebo on fire. [Firefighters] arrived on scene quickly & extinguished the fire.”

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) told CNN in a statement the plane, a twin-engine Cessna 421, crashed after departing from Hobby Airport at around 2:45 p.m. The plane, which is registered in Mexico, was headed to San Antonio International Airport, according to the statement.

Lalo Gonzalez was supposed to leave for a trip on Friday when he got a call from his brother-in-law telling him to rush over to his house. Gonzalez discovered a small plane had crashed just a couple of feet from his home.

“The turbine engine and the small plane landed about 13 feet from my home’s back wall,” he told CNN.

Aerial images captured by CNN affiliate KHOU showed the plane in a neighbor’s backyard with a smashed wing, which had torn through a fence. Houston firefighters could be seen dousing flames in the gazebo.

In photos taken by Gonzalez, the plane can be seen looking largely intact with a charred turbine engine.

Initially, authorities would not allow Gonzalez into his home, which lost electricity, water and gas after the crash, he said. Once police let him and his wife enter for their belongings, they discovered the damage caused by the plane.

“My fence, the patio and all the lawn chairs are damaged,” he said, adding a neighbor’s whirlpool spa was “completely burned.”

The National Transportation Safety Board will oversee the investigation and will provide additional updates, the FFA said.

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Daily Mailworthy Aviation Accident Reporting

#2 Post by Woody » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:19 pm

Surprised that this hasn’t appeared in the Fail :D

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/lufth ... ys-2022-12
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:35 am

Of the all the places to have to divert to, Luanda is high on the places I would not want to go. Government corruption is rife (even by African standards). It is a very dangerous city to visit, with rampant crime crime and violence. It is a place where technical services are limited, prices are high and bureaucratic intransigence and graft even higher.

Avoid if you can.

Luanda.JPG

My ex-wife's neighbour's husband, working as a contract engineer in Angola, simply disappeared, believed murdered in Luanda while en route back to SA.

All rather a pity because despite the destruction and aftermath of the war there (watch out for landmines when off the beaten track, which still continues in Cabinda, it is a beautiful place in many areas.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:20 pm

Does "self-extricated" mean "they got out" ?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by FD2 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:26 am

What I really want to know is whether they narrowly managed to avoid the local primary school before crashing in the yard. Brilliant flying to manage to avoid the man's back wall by just 13ft.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:36 pm

Just revisited the article.
The stellar reporting has this 421 with turbine engines. :-o #-o
The one I flew had two geared Continental GTSIO-520-D engines.

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:03 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:36 pm
Just revisited the article.
The stellar reporting has this 421 with turbine engines. :-o #-o
The one I flew had two geared Continental GTSIO-520-D engines.

PP
Are they turbocharged donk's, hence the stellar reporter may be at least partly correct? :-?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:07 pm

Sorry.
No half credit! [-X

PP