Warning - aviation content

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Warning - aviation content

#1 Post by Boac » Sun May 15, 2022 11:16 am

This is an unusual technique for trying to land at Heathrow.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Warning - aviation content

#2 Post by Woody » Sun May 15, 2022 2:30 pm

I remember being in Southside Staff car park for T4, when a QANTAS 747 decided to perform a Go-Around, set off all the car alarms =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon May 16, 2022 12:51 pm

There was a dramatic go around at Brize many years ago when 216 Sqn first got their Tri-Stars. OC 216 and the boss of the OCU decided to take one up to play. They thought that they would try an autoland. Neither were trained to do this neither were they knowable about the system. They were high on the glideslope at intercept and it had to dive to retrieve it. What they didn't know was the round out was judged on the rate of decent on the slope. They hit the runway so hard one wing came away from the fuselage and a fuel tank was ruptured. They bounced and took it around pissing tonnes of fuel over Carterton and the station car parks. They were lucky to get away with it. I saw it in the hangar. About a foot gap. They managed to fix it but it was marginal. No idea what happened to the two Wg Cdrs. Mega compensation for damaged paint work on cars etc. Fortunately my car was not there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#4 Post by jimtherev » Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:51 pm
There was a dramatic go around at Brize many years ago when 216 Sqn first got their Tri-Stars. OC 216 and the boss of the OCU decided to take one up to play. They thought that they would try an autoland. Neither were trained to do this neither were they knowable about the system. They were high on the glideslope at intercept and it had to dive to retrieve it. What they didn't know was the round out was judged on the rate of decent on the slope. They hit the runway so hard one wing came away from the fuselage and a fuel tank was ruptured. They bounced and took it around pissing tonnes of fuel over Carterton and the station car parks. They were lucky to get away with it. I saw it in the hangar. About a foot gap. They managed to fix it but it was marginal. No idea what happened to the two Wg Cdrs. Mega compensation for damaged paint work on cars etc. Fortunately my car was not there.
Who would have conducted the no-tea-no-bikkies interview in this case?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 am

If the Station hairdresser was not available, then an officer senior to both would be required. The alternative is a full-length mirror in front of which you stand and deliver a bollocking to the image (of course, with you hat on). :))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 am

They were certainly spoken to by the Stn Cdr. No idea how high it went but that was a very expensive bounce.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.