Osprey Down in So Cal

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Osprey Down in So Cal

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:06 pm

U.S. Marine Corps Osprey aircraft crashes in Southern California desert
Authorities in Imperial County were responding to the crash report, centered in an area known for sand dunes and off-roading.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/us ... -rcna32649

A U.S. Marine Corps Osprey crashed in the Southern California desert Wednesday sometime after noon, officials said.

How many were on board and their status wasn't immediately available. The MV-22B Osprey aircraft belongs to the 3d Marine Aircraft Wing based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, said First Lt. Duane Kampa by email.

Military officials said reports of nuclear material on board the aircraft were false.

The crash was reported near Glamis, California, an area about 150 miles east of San Diego known for its desert sand dunes and other off-road attractions, Naval Air Facility El Centro said.

Edit
Marine Osprey crashes near Glamis; at least 4 reported dead

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... ear-glamis

Naval Air Facility El Centro says they have a report of a downed aircraft in the area of Coachella Canal Road and state Route 78

JUNE 8, 2022 2:41 PM PT
SAN DIEGO — A Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey crashed in Glamis in Imperial County on Wednesday, the Marines said in a statement.
“We can confirm that an aircraft belonging to 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing crashed near Glamis, CA.,” said 1st Lt. Duane Kampa, a Marine spokesperson, in a statement. “Military and civilian first responders are on site.”

Marine Capt. Brett Vannier, a spokesman for Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, told the Union-Tribune the service is not commenting on the number of Marines on board at this time.

The Los Angeles Times, citing an unnamed federal source, said five people were on board and four are dead. A search is underway for the fifth, The Times reported.

Kampa pushed back against rumors online that nuclear material was on board the aircraft.

“Contrary to initial reports, there was no nuclear material on board the aircraft,” Kampa said. “More information will be made available as we receive it.”

Naval Air Facility El Centro posted on its Facebook page just after 1:30 p.m. that it received reports of a downed aircraft in the vicinity of Coachella Canal Road and state Route 78.

The military said fire crews, including Imperial County Fire Department, were responding.

“We have no additional details at this time. As facts become verified and available, information will be released on the base’s Facebook page,” the post read.

Imperial County officials confirmed that the plane crash was reported in the Glamis area, and referred all other queries to the military. No further information was immediately available.

Ospreys are flown by the Marines, Navy and Air Force fly versions of the Osprey to transport troops and equipment. The tiltrotor aircraft has a higher top speed and longer range than a helicopter but is able to hover and land in a similar manner.

In March, four North Carolina-based Marines were killed in another Osprey crash during a NATO exercise in Norway.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Osprey Down in So Cal

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:22 pm

5 Marines dead in Osprey crash in Southern California desert, officials say
The Marines, part of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, were confirmed dead Thursday following “an aviation mishap” with the MV-22B Osprey that crashed Wednesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/5- ... -rcna32795

All five Marines on board an Osprey aircraft that crashed during a training mission in the Southern California desert Wednesday were killed, officials said Thursday.

The five died “following an aviation mishap” involving the MV-22B Osprey near Glamis, an area about 150 miles east of San Diego known for its desert sand dunes and other off-road attractions, the United States Marine Corps said in a statement.

“We mourn the loss of our Marines in this tragic mishap. Our hearts go out to their families and friends as they cope with this tragedy,” Maj. Gen. Bradford J. Gering, commanding general of 3rd MAW said in the statement.

The victims were part of Marine Aircraft Group 39, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, an aviation squadron based in San Diego, according to the statement. Their names were not released.

“As a matter of policy, identities of deceased service members are not released until 24-hours after all next-of-kin notifications have been completed,” the statement said.

The aircraft was based at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, according to officials.

Equipment recovery efforts have begun at the crash site and the investigation is ongoing.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:56 pm

And another one just 100 miles away.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... i=10903767
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:26 am

John Sax, Son of Former MLB All-Star Steve Sax, Among Marines Killed in Crash
Four other fathers (and mothers) are also grieving.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... =editorial

Capt. John J. Sax, who is the son of former MLB All-Star Steve Sax, was one of five Marines killed during routine training after an MV-22 Osprey crashed in Glamis, California, on Wednesday.

Steve Sax issued a statement following the news of his son's death (h/t CBS Los Angeles):

"It is with complete devastation that I announce that my precious son, Johnny was one of the five US Marines that perished on Wednesday, June 8, in the Osprey Military crash near San Diego. For those of you that knew Johnny, you saw his huge smile, bright light, his love for his family, the Marines, the joy of flying airplanes and defending our country! He was my hero and the best man I know, there was no better person to defend our country.
"There was never any doubt from a young age that Johnny would be a pilot and his passion was to fly! I am so proud of the man he became and so proud to call him my son! This loss will change my life forever and is a loss to not only the Marines but this world!"
John Sax was based in Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, California. He served the Marines for five years and eight months and earned the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and a Letter of Appreciation.

Major League Baseball released a statement on Sax and the four other Marines:

The Los Angeles Dodgers, who Steve Sax played for from 1981 to 1988, did as well:

Steve Sax was a five-time All-Star second baseman and two-time World Series champion who played 14 MLB seasons (1981-1994) for the Dodgers, New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox and Oakland Athletics.

PP