MD-82 Gear Collapse and Fire at Miami

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

MD-82 Gear Collapse and Fire at Miami

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:07 am

A Red Air McDonnell Douglas MD-82 Catches Fire After Landing At Miami Airport
A Dominican flight caught fire after experiencing an apparent gear failure while landing at Miami International Airport.

https://simpleflying.com/a-red-air-mcdo ... i-airport/

Link with video of aftermath:
https://www.fox29.com/news/watch-firefi ... al-airport

A Dominican flight caught fire after experiencing an apparent gear failure while landing at Miami International Airport.

Red Air Flight 203 departed Santo Domingo at approximately 15:00 and performed an uneventful approach to landing. After touching down on Runway 9, the MD-82 veered to the left and skidded into the grass area that separates Runway 9 from the intersecting Runway 12-30. The aircraft’s left wing impacted an airport antenna structure, including a small building near it. The structure impacted the jet’s right wing at which point a fire erupted. All 140 passengers and 11 crew members were safely evacuated, but there are reports of some minor injuries at this time.

Red Air is a Dominican airline which operates a fleet of McDonnell Douglas aircraft, consisting of three MD-82s and one MD-81. The aircraft involved in the accident was an MD-82 with registration of HI1064. It was previously operated by Venezuelan-based Laser Air.

We have reached out to Miami International Airport authorities for comment. At press time, we had not yet received an answer.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: MD-82 Gear Collapse and Fire at Miami

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:29 am

RED Air McDonnell Douglas MD-82 exits runway and catches fire upon landing Miami Airport

Good Twitter videos

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/red- ... i-airport/

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:52 am

A good evacuation and emergency vehicle response time.

Plenty of hand baggage coming off there. Anyone taking off hand baggage in an emergency evacuation is endangering the other passenger's lives. They should face imprisonment.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:20 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:52 am
Plenty of hand baggage coming off there. Anyone taking off hand baggage in an emergency vacation is endangering the other passenger's lives. They should face imprisonment.
On one side I agree with you....however....I have my whole life and my business on my laptop. It goes EVERYWHRERE with me.... If faced with the same situation, I suspect I would carry my hand luggage containing my laptop with me.... It did not seem they were in a huge rush to get off that airplane...
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:06 am

G~Man wrote:It did not seem they were in a huge rush to get off that airplane...
6 seconds from stopped to doors open?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am

G~Man wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:20 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Plenty of hand baggage coming off there. Anyone taking off hand baggage in an emergency vacation is endangering the other passenger's lives. They should face imprisonment.
On one side I agree with you....however....I have my whole life and my business on my laptop. It goes EVERYWHRERE with me.... If faced with the same situation, I suspect I would carry my hand luggage containing my laptop with me.... It did not seem they were in a huge rush to get off that airplane...
It was on fire!

This would fit in your pocket.
Attachments
STJL4000400.jpg
STJL4000400.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 132 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ribrash

#7 Post by ribrash » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 am

Daily Fail....another 737.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:35 pm

ribrash wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 am
Daily Fail....another 737.
Impact was so severe that it pushed the engines from under the wings to the back of the aircraft and bent the tail up.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:40 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
A good evacuation and emergency vehicle response time.

Plenty of hand baggage coming off there. Anyone taking off hand baggage in an emergency evacuation is endangering the other passenger's lives. They should face imprisonment.
I saw one guy in the video dragging two rollaboards behind him.
Quite a few others with daypacks.

PP

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am
G~Man wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:20 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
It was on fire!

This would fit in your pocket.
Hence why I like Bermuda shorts with large external pockets.